Intrepid Travel Employee Reviews about "free trip"

Updated 4 Aug 2020

4.4
Intrepid Travel CEO James Thornton
James Thornton
Pros
  • "Fun work environment if you're young and want to make new friends(in 13 reviews)

• "Free trip every year, flexible hours(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "New senior management, in marketing specifically, is awful(in 5 reviews)

• "The low pay is justified by free trips (which are not 100% guaranteed) and some work perks, but those quickly get old(in 4 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "free trip"

Return to all Reviews

"Great colleagues, terrible management, poor business ethics"

Former Employee - Marketing in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Intrepid Travel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Incredibly supportive immediate colleagues. Fun location in London. Great, yet unachieved business potential.

Cons

Although it seems a great company on the surface, Intrepid Travel has huge flaws in it's working culture, junior and senior management and global business ethics. Working culture is a challenge. Long hours are expected with no recognition, micromanagement is constant, there are rumours and childish cliques spread across the office. The recently introduced 'flexi-time' is a pathetic 30 minute period either side of the official working hours, which is pointless as overtime is expected and almost unavoidable with overbearing workloads. Junior and senior management is a shambles. Unprofessionalism is a daily routine with micromanagement, favouritism, sexism, rumours, inappropriate relationships and out-of-hours culture that would be controversial to disclose. Any respect and recognition of junior staff is few and far between - hard work is not valued. Communication is a huge issue causing tensions between staff and across departments. Company values are purely PR motivated and rarely trickle down to business practices, such values are only upheld by the dedication of employees to the causes. Ultimately, Intrepid is purely money motivated. Arrogance and image is rewarded over work ethic and productivity - don't expect training investment or professional advancement unless you're male. HR is a pointless exercise. Salaries are considerably lower than industry average and significantly lower in the EMEA region compared with APAC and NA, although staff are performing the same jobs in the same company. Benefits are limited - one free trip a year sounds better than it is as salaries hardly allow to save for flights or expenses in destination. Overall, Intrepid Travel is a company with great potential which is unfortunately unachieved.

December 6, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your time working at Intrepid’s office in London. Since your review in January 2020, there have been two major changes that address a number of the points you raised: 1. There have been changes at the corporate level, including a restructure of our global leadership team. 2. One of our most senior managers, Zina Bencheikh, was appointed EMEA Managing Director in February 2020. Zina is a highly qualified finance professional with deep experience in operations and management. She is also widely admired and awarded for her work on gender equality and diversity, including in her home country of Morocco. She was an important part of Intrepid doubling its number of female tour leaders in 2019 and continues to advocate on gender equality, diversity and inclusion, and to foster an inclusive team and culture. We believe that these changes have gone a long way in addressing some of the points that you raise. In addition, all permanent staff have access to learning and development opportunities, including via our online Degreed learning platform. As a certified B Corp, we balance purpose and profit - when the business does well financially, we're able to invest further in purpose activities. In 2020 we've continued to advocate on a number of issues, including climate change and animal welfare. We believe it is important that our people are recognised for the work they are doing and the level of responsibilities that their role entails. We do try to pay a competitive salary for the travel industry, but acknowledge that it can be lower than some other sectors. We hope this helps to provide more context.

"Avoid - Boys Bullying Corp"

Former Employee - Marketing in London, England

I worked at Intrepid Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

-The product is interesting to market, as the trips are well thought out and enjoyable. Good range of product which keeps things interesting. The guides are mostly great. -Sometimes there is additional opportunity to travel. - The office is a fairly cool warehouse conversion in Brixton. -Freedom to work from home if you are lucky (differs dependant on manager). -Perhaps good to use as a stepping stone in your career for a year (max) to get to another position, easy to get hired here as they struggle to recruit with the salaries. -One free trip a year (within trip list, flights not included). - Some lovely people work there, but you can't hang your hat on that. Unfortunately the cons far out weigh the pros. I would not recommend working here unless it is for a year max as a stepping stone or for visa requirement short-term, perhaps for an aussie or similar coming to London.

Cons

-Sadly the other negative reviews on Glassdoor are accurate, which is why there are so many. -Sexism is prevalent. Men in the organisation seem to have no respect for women, speaking over them and being incredibly rude and unprofessional. There has been cases of promoting very junior men over more qualified women, causing people to quit. Senior males having inappropriate relationships and abusing their positions of power, and behaving inappropriately at work events. -Favouritism is mind boggling. The people who survive are the people who slap on a smile and nod. -There is no opportunity to improve things, as the bullying and bad culture runs so deep. -There is no support, those who try to improve things, are ignored or managed out. -The bad mouthing, nastiness, and cliques make you feel as though you are in a high school drama on steroids. -I learned so much about politics working here i'm surprised I didn't win the general election. -HR is used as a tool by Sr Management, and is not working as a neutral body for the people who work there. There is no one qualified working in Europe to look after employees. -The company values are for marketing purposes only. There is no integrity. There is zero fun. Unless you count the ping pong table. That makes up for it, right? -If you are best mates with the CEO and/or other SR Management, then you can have no clue what you are doing and that is apparently cool with this business. -The salaries are appallingly low for the roles, workload, and location. I am embarrassed that I accepted this for as long as I did. -The workloads are insane. You will be hired for a role, that quickly merges to four roles. No point raising workloads as an issue - this is ignored or seen as not being passionate. You are expected to work all hours on a terrible salary, for terribly people. Again, i'm cringing. -Decisions are never made. Waiting for sign off on a project? You will be waiting for months whilst SR Management duck making a decision. In a bind so go ahead and make the decision on your own? You may or may not be yelled at. -You will feel guilty for taking a lunch break. -The software and systems are ancient and require investment. -The communication is horrendous between regions, and from SR Management. Huge changes are communicated on email when they are sitting five feet away from you. -The London office is largely ignored as Australia is so self involved. -There is never explanation or conversation with decisions. -Restructuring, recruitment freezing, and redundancy happen regularly. You feel as though you are always waiting for the hammer to fall. -You will see good people join, full of drive and life. In six months they will be drained. struggling mentally, or have left. -Some managers are so unbelievably and obviously awful, and the business takes years to address it. How many complaints and leavers does it take? -The company is purely target and revenue driven, B Corp is nonsense and for PR. They promote looking after everyone in their supply chain, yet they treat their employees like absolute dirt. - Despite being 30 years old, Intrepid operates as a start up whilst also thinking its a professional corporate company. Which is it? -They may have a revenue driven growth strategy, but there is no direction or investment in people and the turnover is huge.

December 8, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review - we value your feedback and hope to provide you with an update on some of the concerns you raise. Since your review in January 2020, there have been two major structural changes to the company, including one of our most experienced senior leaders, Zina Bencheikh being appointed EMEA Managing Director to lead the EMEA (including the UK) team in February 2020. Zina is a highly qualified finance and business professional who has also been recognised for her leadership on gender equality. In addition to leading our London office, she continues to speak out widely on gender equality, diversity and inclusion at international events and conferences. There have been a number of changes at the corporate level, including a restructure of our global leadership team. We continue to maintain equal gender representation at the Board and senior management level. We believe these structural changes introduced in 2020 address many of the points you raise, but we would like to respond to three more of your comments: Every team member and leader must complete mandatory anti-bullying, anti-racism and anti-harassment training. This aims to ensure all our people understand our policies and processes, who to talk to if they experience or see bullying or harassment, and how to seek support. Our people’s wellbeing is our number one priority. Every employee has access to our global Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and can access four free counselling sessions per year, in addition to a suite of online and on-demand resources. During 2020, to support our people during the pandemic, we’ve introduced a dedicated wellbeing hub on our internal messaging board and we're conducting a survey of all our global people to better understand how they’re feeling and where we can improve in 2021. Many of our staff in numerous different functions have been with Intrepid for 10, 15 and 20 years. Intrepid is a business where people can pursue different career paths, which is demonstrated by some of our most senior leaders, who have moved through many different roles. We believe this is a great benefit to our people and our business. We hope this helps clarify and provide more context around some of the concerns you’ve raised.

"Fantastic product, inexperienced management with tendency to micromanage and lower than average salary"

Former Employee - Marketing Executive in London, England

I worked at Intrepid Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

The product - small, sustainable group travel - is absolutely amazing. The vision of the two founders to change the world by connecting travellers with the country and people they visit is wonderful and easy to really believe in which makes it even easier to market and sell the product. Especially when you start out, there's a feeling of making a real difference to the world (and the world of travel). It would be such a fantastic company to work for if it wasn't for the management in the UK office. * The product - what's there not to love about truly sustainable travel? * The vision of the two founders is beautiful and they are genuinely amazing people (come into the office from time to time and are just so friendly) * You get a free trip every year, easily one of the best things about working in travel. * The intrepid foundation that supports initiatives all over the world (even though I believe pushing your own employees to donate when they already earn little to none is a bit controversial) * The idea of working for a BCorp. I'm saying idea here on purpose, as it doesn't quite do what it says on the tin.

Cons

* The management in the UK office. It very much is a boys club at the top. This not only affects promotion of men only, it also means that it's not the best (men) being promoted but the ones that are friends of the boys at the top. * Some more words on the management in the UK (can't really speak for the other offices). Managers, as per the above it's men in all senior positions, are inexperienced and love micromanagement. I believe this is strongly related to their inexperience and insecurity but quickly leads to team members feeling unmotivated as their every step is being watched. * Overtime is expected of you. If you leave 5:30pm sharp, management doesn't think you're committed. * Clock watching is a thing. Even though you work at least 45 minutes longer every day and are expected to get up early or stay up late for international calls, if you dare to come 5 minute late, you'll be pulled aside for "a quick chat". So much to flexible work hours... * Opportunities in the UK office are limited and there is hardly any movement across geos (unless you're a senior manager). * The salary is low. Even for the travel industry, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Senior management is quick to point out that your perks are amazing (and don't get me wrong, a free trip is great but doesn't help you when you can't afford the flights to get there, while the rest of the perks are pretty much below average) and the grass isn't greener on the other side. But it is. The main competitor pays a whole lot more and seems to have a better culture on top of that.

Continue reading
  4. "Good while it lasted"

Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Intrepid Travel full-time

Pros

Free trip every year, flexible hours

Cons

doing senior level duties at entry level pay,

December 2, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We believe it is vital for our people to experience our product, meet our leaders and visit communities in destinations. It is important to us that our people are recognised and remunerated for the work they are doing and the level of responsibilities that their role entails. We do try to pay a competitive salary for the travel industry, but acknowledge that it is lower than some other industries.

"Boys' Club disguised as a B Corp"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Intrepid Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Intrepid brand has good values and sustainable travel practices Their trips are fun You'll make friends Good office location Dogs

Cons

Intrepid constantly promotes being a B Corp, but they don't uphold the most basic B Corp values. If B Corp does audits, they should do one on Intrepid. Intrepid prioritizes internal promotions, which sounds great because you think you'll have a chance at a promotion after a year. But you'll learn that it's just their excuse to promote unqualified men they like into top positions, usually on the marketing teams. There is no transparency with pay structure or promotions. Some people will get 'Sr.' or 'Manager' slapped onto their title randomly throughout the year to buy their continued loyalty. Everyone else has to wait for annual reviews. It's a toxic work environment full of gossip. And that free trip they give you, hopefully you want to go to Central America because that's the only place you'll be able to afford flights to on your Intrepid salary.

"Decent entry-level job"

Former Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON

I worked at Intrepid Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

I recommend Intrepid Travel as a workplace if this is your first job, if you are new to the travel industry, or if you just want to have some fun for a year or two. But there are caveats (see the cons). -You get a free trip every year of your choice: Intrepid's trips are among the best in the business. -Fun work environment if you're young and want to make new friends. -Opportunity to learn a lot from talented co-workers and online learning resources provided by the company. -The team as a whole is very passionate and talented. -Intrepid is a cool brand and will look great on a resume.

Cons

The caveat to my recommendation is that if you are looking for a more serious workplace, or you are experienced in your career already, this workplace will seem very amateur. Unfortunately, the cons outweigh the pros. -Senior Managers have mostly been promoted from within, and they lack management and people skills. This leads to a lot of micromanagement, poor and delayed decision-making, taking forever to make new hires and business plans (and then rarely following through on those plans), and the inability/unwillingness to take responsibility, ask for help or advice from their team, or to give much credit to others. -There is zero work/life balance; without being explicitly told as much, you are expected to work extra hours every day. This is exemplified mainly by the Senior Managers who live and breathe their job. If you leave at 5pm, you feel guilty and it is pretty clear that you won't go far in this company if you have a life outside work. The free beers in the office are usually cracked at 5pm, leading to a bit of socializing and a lot of sitting at your desk and working well into the evening. -There is a very strong clique culture in this company, again exemplified by management who have worked together for years. You can certainly make friends with the team and there is always someone to have lunch with, but it's pretty clear that the people who are liked more than others are the ones who will have the most opportunities. -There is very little room for growth; when senior people leave (which has happened a lot in recent years), their jobs are usually just spread out among lower-level people who are willing to absorb them. -If you have a partner or family, or want to start a family, you won't feel welcome here. This is a young office and they are interested in doing beers and baseball games together. There are never any opportunities to bring your significant others or children to a social function, and no one is particularly interested in getting to know them either. -The pay is extremely low, particularly considering the offices are located in very expensive cities like Toronto and London. The low pay is justified by free trips (which are not 100% guaranteed) and some work perks, but those quickly get old. Again: perfect for an entry-level job, but when you're ready to get serious about your career, you'll probably want to look elsewhere.

Continue reading

"Intrepid lost their sould"

I worked at Intrepid Travel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The product is great and what the employees are there - its great to sell and has a nice value. Also free trips were possible.

Cons

work environment is awful. no matter what you do, you always get the feeling its not enough and there is never anyone telling you "hey you're doing great". Intrepid lost its soul years ago - now its all about the money and not about the experience. The salary is extremely low. Always understaffed, high pressure in sales, not possible to reach the bonus, going cheap on everything.

Continue reading
  8. "When Work Feels Like Being In Love"

5.0

I have been working at Intrepid Travel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Outstanding culture, excellent WLB - Passionate, talented people - Purpose beyond profit - walks the talk when it comes to corporate sustainability, responsible travel, responsible business - Has the energy of a start-up; this is the kind of place where you can drive your own development - ideas are recognised and implemented - great travel opportunities, educational leave, free trips, RDOs, flexible working options

Cons

- the hangover of big corporate partnership break-up means that there are still a lot of systems that are being pulled together, and sometimes not enough resource to deliver on big plans - despite having excellent travel benefits, the pay is not competitive.

"Great company; great culture, values and products; but still needs some work"

I worked at Intrepid Travel full-time

Pros

-Great benefits (generous holiday/vacation time off, one free trip per year, discounts for friends and family) -Casual work environment, beautiful offices -Great products, focus on purpose beyond profit, focus on sustainability

Cons

-Poor pay compared to similar companies in the travel industry -Favoritism -Lack of collaboration with global offices -Disorganized, quick to make snap decisions without full review of impact

Continue reading

"Great brand on the outside, but a total boys' club on the inside"

I worked at Intrepid Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The brand and products are truly fantastic. The type of travel they do is the type of travel the world needs. It's a brand you can really get behind and believe in. I will still travel with them and still miss working on the brand. - Most of the people you work with are fun, smart, and well-travelled, and want to have a good time at work. - Nice office spaces that are conducive to creative thinking. - Generally speaking, there's opportunity for trying new ideas and 'innovating'. - Generally acceptable to work from home every now and then. - Full-time employees get a free trip every year, which is a huge perk. - Discounts on travel for friends and family.

Cons

- They promote people over profits, but some of the decision-making in terms of products and staff wages counter that promise. - It's a boys' club, plain and simple. The MD/CEO has an inner circle, and you're not getting anywhere near it if you aren't male. - They promote people who aren't necessarily the right people for the jobs, but do it because they like them / have been there a long time. It's the Peter Principle in a nutshell, and doesn't allow the business to succeed in ways it could. - Following this, the training for new managers is terrible - there's no proper mentorship and even though there are courses that SOME new managers get to do (nowhere near all), there are very few solid leaders and leadership examples to learn from. - You don't get paid nearly as much as you would in similar roles elsewhere. - Terrible work-life balance if you don't work out of the Australia office - they expect you to stay late to be able to overlap office hours with them, but there's no way they'll come in early or stay late themselves to overlap office hours with you.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 11 English Reviews