Intrepid Travel Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated 8 Dec 2020

4.4
Intrepid Travel CEO James Thornton
James Thornton
Pros
  • "Fun work environment if you're young and want to make new friends(in 13 reviews)

• "Free trip every year, flexible hours(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "New senior management, in marketing specifically, is awful(in 5 reviews)

• "The low pay is justified by free trips (which are not 100% guaranteed) and some work perks, but those quickly get old(in 4 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Work at Intrepid Travel Review"

4.0
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Alton, South East England, England

I worked at Intrepid Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment, perks at the same time extremely rewarding!

Cons

Not enough communication from top to bottom of management.

2. COVID-19

"Best Company I've ever worked for!"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Melbourne

I worked at Intrepid Travel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Excellent at employing talented people who share the company values. Also great at spotting talent within the ranks and giving them opportunity to grow. Everyone sharing these values makes it easy to see the big picture of what we are all working to achieve and also makes for a collaborative and cohesive work environment. - They tend to hire internally so there's always room to progress. - A place where everyone genuinely cares about their work and each other. Help is always there if you ask. - A company that walks the walk, not just talks the talk. Everyone lives the company values and it shows. Work life balance is achievable and encouraged. - Door's (not that there are any in an open plan office) are always open if you need to speak to someone regardless of how high up they are or if you work directly for them. Ideas are always heard and innovation encouraged.

Cons

- The pay is lower than other industries for similar roles, but anyone who's been in travel for a long time knows it's not a job you get into for the high salaries. The whole industry tends to pay lower than others. - The Team I was on did tend to operate in "silos" - everyone was wrapped up in their own region, but we were working towards changing that when I left and looking for opportunities to be more collaborative and working together cross-regionally. - I got the impression when speaking to them that the sales teams in Overseas offices felt they were forgotten and left out of a lot of communications. I did my best to reach out, as did many of my colleagues, but it isn't the same as having someone physically there to help. So more opportunity for training sessions both via video call and in person would go a long way to boosting the sales team's confidence in what they are selling.

December 15, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your time at Intrepid and for leaving a review. We're pleased that our purpose resonated with you so strongly and that you felt broadly supported in your role. We do try to pay a competitive salary for the industry, along with other benefits, but we realise it can be lower than some other sectors. Your feedback on collaboration within teams and across to other offices is very valuable. As a global business this is something we're aware of and are trying to improve. This has guided the new structure we have put in place recently. We've noted your suggestion of developing 'champion' opportunities within teams and this is something we can certainly consider introducing in 2021. We wish you well in your next adventure.

3. "Best company to work with"

Current Employee - Tour Leader in Ho Chi Minh City

I have been working at Intrepid Travel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendly, professional, passionate working environment

Cons

There is nothing for cons

December 16, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're really pleased you find our work environment so positive. If you do have any other feedback or suggestions, please do get in touch with your local General Manager - we always want to hear about how we can do better.

4. "Great company to work for, one of the best in the world. Truly care about their staff."

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Johannesburg

I worked at Intrepid Travel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great travel benefits, great working environment, lots of opportunities for growth. Generally decent salaries

Cons

Can be stressful to meet the demands but that is ultimately to improve the brand and yourself.

November 24, 2020Intrepid Travel

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with Intrepid in Johannesburg. We're pleased to hear that you had a positive experience and that you enjoyed your time with us. We appreciate your comment about occasional stressful demands that can be part of working for a global travel brand like ours. We believe our new global structure will help ease stress points in the future and we will continue to monitor this and check in with our global teams to understand how we can make more improvements. We appreciate your transparency and wish you all the very best for your next adventure.

5. "Very grateful for 6 years of endless opportunities"

I worked at Intrepid Travel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn and grow within the company. Very transparent business with a young, humble and smart team. Great work environment with a very flat hierarchy

Cons

Nothing really. It is a international and competitive business within the travel industry, hence a complex structure with a lot of offices all around the world. This can be seen as a challenge for some, but I personally saw it as a opportunity to work in different places and gain experience for my future career.

December 16, 2020

Thank you for your thoughtful review and all the great insights you shared. We are pleased that you enjoyed your time at Intrepid and felt you had opportunities to take on new challenges. We are proud that many of our people have progressed through multiple roles with us. As a global business with offices all over the world, our structure can sometimes seem complex. We hope our newly introduced (Q3 2020) global leadership structure will help to streamline things in the future. We will continue to seek feedback on this and understand where we can make improvements.

6. "Best place to work"

Former Contractor - Tour Manager in New Delhi

I worked at Intrepid Travel

Pros

Comfortable work environment Be your own boss

Cons

Not enough money according to the work load

November 30, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to share your insights - we do aim to pay a competitive salary, along with a number of other benefits, but acknowledge that it might be lower than some other industries.

7. "A thoughtful company"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melbourne

I have been working at Intrepid Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment Helpful and supportive management Working for a cause

Cons

Pay not great but it's travel. When is it ever?

December 2, 2020

Thank you for your kind words and taking the time to leave a review. We strive to create an inclusive, fun, supportive and innovative work environment. We believe travel is a force for good and we know this is a reason why many of our people choose to work at Intrepid. We do aim to pay a competitive salary, along with a number of other benefits, but acknowledge that it might be lower than some other industries.

"Boys' Club disguised as a B Corp"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Intrepid Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Intrepid brand has good values and sustainable travel practices Their trips are fun You'll make friends Good office location Dogs

Cons

Intrepid constantly promotes being a B Corp, but they don't uphold the most basic B Corp values. If B Corp does audits, they should do one on Intrepid. Intrepid prioritizes internal promotions, which sounds great because you think you'll have a chance at a promotion after a year. But you'll learn that it's just their excuse to promote unqualified men they like into top positions, usually on the marketing teams. There is no transparency with pay structure or promotions. Some people will get 'Sr.' or 'Manager' slapped onto their title randomly throughout the year to buy their continued loyalty. Everyone else has to wait for annual reviews. It's a toxic work environment full of gossip. And that free trip they give you, hopefully you want to go to Central America because that's the only place you'll be able to afford flights to on your Intrepid salary.

"Decent entry-level job"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Intrepid Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

I recommend Intrepid Travel as a workplace if this is your first job, if you are new to the travel industry, or if you just want to have some fun for a year or two. But there are caveats (see the cons). -You get a free trip every year of your choice: Intrepid's trips are among the best in the business. -Fun work environment if you're young and want to make new friends. -Opportunity to learn a lot from talented co-workers and online learning resources provided by the company. -The team as a whole is very passionate and talented. -Intrepid is a cool brand and will look great on a resume.

Cons

The caveat to my recommendation is that if you are looking for a more serious workplace, or you are experienced in your career already, this workplace will seem very amateur. Unfortunately, the cons outweigh the pros. -Senior Managers have mostly been promoted from within, and they lack management and people skills. This leads to a lot of micromanagement, poor and delayed decision-making, taking forever to make new hires and business plans (and then rarely following through on those plans), and the inability/unwillingness to take responsibility, ask for help or advice from their team, or to give much credit to others. -There is zero work/life balance; without being explicitly told as much, you are expected to work extra hours every day. This is exemplified mainly by the Senior Managers who live and breathe their job. If you leave at 5pm, you feel guilty and it is pretty clear that you won't go far in this company if you have a life outside work. The free beers in the office are usually cracked at 5pm, leading to a bit of socializing and a lot of sitting at your desk and working well into the evening. -There is a very strong clique culture in this company, again exemplified by management who have worked together for years. You can certainly make friends with the team and there is always someone to have lunch with, but it's pretty clear that the people who are liked more than others are the ones who will have the most opportunities. -There is very little room for growth; when senior people leave (which has happened a lot in recent years), their jobs are usually just spread out among lower-level people who are willing to absorb them. -If you have a partner or family, or want to start a family, you won't feel welcome here. This is a young office and they are interested in doing beers and baseball games together. There are never any opportunities to bring your significant others or children to a social function, and no one is particularly interested in getting to know them either. -The pay is extremely low, particularly considering the offices are located in very expensive cities like Toronto and London. The low pay is justified by free trips (which are not 100% guaranteed) and some work perks, but those quickly get old. Again: perfect for an entry-level job, but when you're ready to get serious about your career, you'll probably want to look elsewhere.

Continue reading

"Apply with caution - disorganized, inadequate compensation"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Toronto, ON

I worked at Intrepid Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with people passionate about small-group travel. Great work perks and benefits package above industry standard. Toronto office well located and central. Guided tours offered consistently out-perform similar product offered by competitors, are well-reviewed, and impeccably operated by the international offices. As an overall global brand and product, Intrepid continues to excel as the leader in exceptional small-group travel experiences.

Cons

Salaries not equal between genders, annually salary increases not consistent with growth and achievements YOY, overall salaries below Toronto minimums for jobs with similar titles, bonus compensation not in line with growth, little recognition for achievements, missing a holistic “one team, one business" approach, budgets unrealistic for growth targets, minimal forward thinking strategy, minimal long term planning, minimal opportunities for personal growth and development within North America office. Differences are not celebrated or accepted. Leadership not open to differing opinions, or ideas/personalities that do not conform to the group think. Chaotic and unorganized work environment. Inconsistent with overall company values, leadership and structure that’s demonstrated globally as a brand. Unfortunately, Intrepid has a long way to go when it comes to equal pay, overcoming bias, and promoting women in high level leadership roles.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 16 English Reviews