Irwin Mitchell "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Irwin Mitchell Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 1 Nov 2019

2.9
Irwin Mitchell Group Chief Executive and Partner Andrew Tucker
Andrew Tucker
Pros
Cons
  • "Not so much the work life balance more the mentality of those who’ve been there man and boy who(in 6 reviews)

• "No progression for outstanding employees(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Wearing the White Hat"

I have been working at Irwin Mitchell full-time

Pros

A firm that genuinely cares about its clients, right to the core. Client care is a passion, and it shows throughout the business. Pay is competitive, and working conditions are pretty good. You genuinely feel like you're fighting the good fight, working for a firm that cares about you and your development.

Cons

Time targets are very high, and annual leave isn't taken into account, so after taking holiday you have to put double the hours in to try and catch back up - doesn't promote a healthy work life balance!

Advice to Management

Change the changeable time target to take full annual leave allowance into account!

Irwin Mitchell2017-06-08

"Great people to work with but reluctant to develop junior staff"

Former Employee - Paralegal in London, England

I worked at Irwin Mitchell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work-life balance, and good working hours Great colleagues Some good incentives and perks Interesting cases

Cons

Limited progression for paralegals High billable targets

Irwin Mitchell2019-11-01
  3. "Good employer, improving year on year"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Irwin Mitchell full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great work/life balance compared to similar firms Some excellent work without needing to be London based

Cons

Workload can be challenging at times

Irwin Mitchell2019-07-09

"Toxic, Demoralising and Bullying Environment. Avoid working for this highly stressful company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Sheffield, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Irwin Mitchell full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free tea bags, coffee, hot chocolate milk and juices. Majority of the people are nice and easy to get along with. Good canteen.

Cons

Lack of training and support. Management often contradict each other which is frustrating when you are training. Trainees are expected to come in with the same knowledge and experience as somebody with 8+ years of experience. Expected to stay over contracted hours (with no extra pay nor able to take your time back). Poor work/life balance. Extra time spent working late goes unnoticed. Management are unprofessional and demoralising. Too much pressure and stress for a low salary particularly with the amount of work you are expected to get through. Unrealistic targets as well as being expected to get through non targeted tasks (which you often have to stay over to try and complete). Bullying from management when you don't meet your targets. Can't take holidays without feeling pressured to still hit the monthly target.

Advice to Management

Provide proper training to staff. Provide management training. Have more 'people skills' when communicating with staff. Don't bully, threaten and demoralise staff. Pay a salary that reflects on the amount of stress and pressure of the job.

Irwin Mitchell2019-02-28

"Trying hard in places but rotting from the inside top..."

Current Employee - Senior Paralegal in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Irwin Mitchell full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Genuinely good teams with caring partners who don’t aspire to be millionaires, but aspire to help their team and clients. A CEO who seems to care and genuinely wants to boot out those who are abusive - but probably requires a CEO from outside. Support staff, paralegals who work very hard, a truly inspiring social, charitable foundation, along with a few inspired managers and more recently appointed partners.

Cons

Not so much the work life balance more the mentality of those who’ve been there man and boy who “want to hang onto my riches” These people don’t bring in new business; the wonderful sales and marketing teams, their campaigns, and the supportive lower management who work hard at fundraisers, fete’s and at local events do. Once you might of and you therefore made partner. The rest of us have to cross that finishing line every year of our life. Generally these senior types don’t know how to people manage and their technical ability has been more consigned to working out if, they’ll ever reduce their handicap or their tax scheme is as efficient as it should be! Business CEO’s, managing partners and directors are never to be seen. Always locked away hiding, don’t come onto the floor to the teams but you see them slink out at 3pm.. Many don’t email their staff, or message them or do presentations so we just don’t know who they are... Great place to work - well from within my team yes, because we know what a working culture is and should be - But in believing that our senior leadership know what they are doing, can make decisions.... but most of all be one of us ..... not a chance.! They are too busy working out what detailed changes need to be made to the systems, that they designed, so they can then make it worse. Sort of people who tell their “bin men” they are doing it all wrong ...... because they are a partner in a law firm and know how to do it better. Of course it’s financially more efficient for a grade A partner do design a new “on” switch than it is for a paralegal who presses it all day - I’m genuinely not switched on and neither is my system. The smell of arrogance, fear and greed is diminishing but not quickly enough for me!

Advice to Management

If you are senior partner and you really care about your profession then weed out the senior dead wood as the law is changing. Allow green shoots to come through, and realise that if a little less is paid at the top then both a little more can be paid at the bottom, and you can involve those at the bottom in hacking out a new IM. You do actually have some wonderful people. Press the button “Voting for XMAS!” You will then end up with more engaged senior staff too. Our roll on Friday scores were a little unfair but because of what most of us are - good, caring , hard working people who make our own culture largely ignoring top tier royalty.

Irwin Mitchell2018-03-30
  6. "PI"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Irwin Mitchell full-time for more than a year

Pros

colleagues are generally friendly and helpful

Cons

Poor Management Favouritsm Lack of opportunity to progress staff see a a disposable commodity Low pay Work/Life balance?? open 24/7 - work that one out

Advice to Management

The idea is that you manage, not that you tread on people to look good yoursel

Irwin Mitchell2018-01-25
  7. "Will be a great firm in years to come."

Current Employee - Trainee Solicitor in London, England

I have been working at Irwin Mitchell full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work life balance is fantastic, the senior fee earners are friendly and come from excellent firms which means the technical training is great. In addition, the firm is not held back by history and its BLS division is free to evolve with the market.

Cons

The pay is very low and whilst the work-life balance is good, there is no option to "put more in and get more out". The IT is also abysmal.

Advice to Management

Invest in the IT infrastructure and consider introducing more transparent salaries for junior members of staff.

Irwin Mitchell2017-11-24
  8. "Trainee Solicitor"

Current Intern - Trainee Solicitor in Sheffield, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Irwin Mitchell for more than a year

Pros

Friendly people, Benefits system, Good teamwork, Good cafe, Challenging & interesting work, high profile work

Cons

Pay, Work life balance, Unflexile hours, Little/no choice in career path (seats)

Irwin Mitchell2017-01-29

"Lost"

I worked at Irwin Mitchell full-time

Pros

Great people, good work life balance

Cons

Senior team have no clear plan. Wrong people at the top. Needs to change

Advice to Management

Listen and learn

Irwin Mitchell2016-11-09