J D Wetherspoon Kitchen Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

John Hutson

"Kitchen manager"

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Nottingham, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

Great on going training and good rates of pay, great bonuses. Good value food and drinks

Cons

Sometimes the company makes bad decisions and don't listen to the pub teams. Lots of operational mistakes

Advice to Management

Have more one to one meetings with the pubs, work with them instead of trying to catch them out, we are a great company with great talent in the pubs! Listen to them they know what works not middle management who have little/no experience working in pubs or for wetherspoons

J D Wetherspoon2016-03-15
  2. "It's hard work, but if you graft, you'll move up relatively quickly."

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast - paced, no experience required, energetic workforce, fun colleagues, training provided, good stepping stone, competitive pay for the industry.

Cons

Long hours, hard work, high stress, early starts, late finishes, come home smelling bad, regularly work with idiots

Advice to Management

Higher pay rates equal stronger more competent staff. We need to be able to poach staff, rather than lose our best colleagues to other companies and other industries. There are often major bug bears that seep morale, upper management need to be more attentive to the negative aspects of the job such as forced unpaid over time and people creating rotas that regularly go against the manager's lifestyle promise.

J D Wetherspoon2016-02-20
  3. "Km"

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

job stability, career progression, bonuses, flexible working available. Get to have a laugh when on shift.

Cons

Can be overworked, can be very stressfull. Customers can be annoying! Late nights!

Advice to Management

Management dont understand the need for more help is needed sometimes and that we are not all superhumans like they assume

J D Wetherspoon2016-01-09
  4. "Kitchen manager role"

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

I applied for a position with JDW because of the training they offer employees. I had previously worked as a 2nd Chef and wanted to move into a management position. The Catering Academy programme has given me the confidence to do that and I am now successfully managing my own kitchen.”

Cons

Late night finishes can put some people off

Advice to Management

Listen to associates ideas as your pub can benefit greatly from these

J D Wetherspoon2016-01-08
  5. "kitchen manager"

Kitchen Manager in Plymouth, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

good job lots of perks bonus scheme share scheme and if you are willing to work hard they look after you

Cons

long hours not appreciated sometimes always having to cut hours to be within budget

Advice to Management

keep smiling and look after everyone not just the hard workers but those with problems

J D Wetherspoon2016-01-09
  6. "All round good company for progression"

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Sheffield, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Busy environment , good progression. Good bonuses. Meet a lot of new people and a good work atmosphere .standards set

Cons

Long anti social hours, can be very stressful depending on higher management targets. Seem not to care so much about staff now and more about the target set and reached

Advice to Management

Be prepared for over time unpaid, new contracts in place give little flexibility on the management hours . Unrealistic targets sometimes given

J D Wetherspoon2015-10-14
  7. "Kitchen Manager"

Former Employee - Kitchen Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good organisational structure, good training documentation. Used to have attainable bonus structures. Tim is an inspirational leader who has good ideas.

Cons

Bad choice in area managers -- some of them are on power trips and have zero knowledge of how to manage a team. There's no chance to give feedback so these people are left to their own devices. Bonuses became harder and harder to reach, and it generally felt like the culture changed for the worse.

Advice to Management

Allow more open lines of communication to help managers grow, and to root out the bad apples who end up alienating the good members of staff.

J D Wetherspoon2017-04-25