J D Wetherspoon Kitchen Staff Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

John Hutson
  1. "Kitchen staff"

Current Employee - Kitchen Staff in Wallasey, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible working hours are available

Cons

Not many hours of work

J D Wetherspoon2019-04-24

May 20, 2019Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for your review. We know flexible working patterns are really important to our staff. It’s great to know this is working for you.

2. "How do I quit my job when I’m in my probation I hate it here"

Current Employee - Kitchen Staff

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay seems decent enough for the hours you work

Cons

Help me quit do I talk to my manager or just not turn up anymore I’m on probation

J D Wetherspoon2019-09-26
  3. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Kitchen Staff

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time

Pros

Overtime and bonus opportunities

Cons

Hard work and long hours

J D Wetherspoon2019-06-04
  4. "Signing Your Soul Away"

Former Employee - Kitchen Staff in Bletchley, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time

Pros

The pay is quite decent 50% off on breaks 20% off out of work hours Supportive co-workers

Cons

Wetherspoons have a HIGH rating of start and leave and this is very understandable to me after working there. I had one manager who was extremely caring towards me and someone who wasn’t a manager, just a shift leader who thought she was better than Just the general kitchen staff even though we all were doing the same job. I asked for full time and I’m thankful that I didn’t get full time because what I did get... ended up being way too much for me to take. Singing that contract is like signing your life away, they don’t care about a work-life balance. They want your whole life to be about accommodating them. Back to the shift leaders - They are really rude and patronising. I hated the way one of them treated me talking to me like I’m dumb and less than her. You also get in trouble for wanting to change your hours, they will put you on the same job for hours which could be potwash and don’t let you do other things. They will then tell you if you complain that everyone has to do it and it’s not just you but you will notice a pattern of the Jobs they give you. Management also talk about the other employees. You are only allowed a 30 minute break and if you smoke that includes getting out of your kitchen uniform for health and safety purposes but other management will go about three cigarettes within a 2 hour period and wear their uniform. There has to be rules that everyone follows otherwise it defeats its purpose and it’s unfair. Another thing is health and safety - They use the same tongs and oil for the vegan chicken as they do with normal chicken which is disrespectful towards vegans. You are overworked and sometimes are not allowed your break and you have to ask which sometimes they will tell you no and then 30 minutes later take an extra break. Themselves. I would say do not work here. you will become depressed

Advice to Management

Let shift leaders know that they aren’t superior to the general kitchen staff who are trying their best. People work at different paces and learn in different ways. Do not tolerate any patronising behaviour and let your employees have their breaks. Do not over work them and actually pay them what they’ve actually earned: do not just randomly choose the pay check. Give the employees CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK, “You are... terrible at this.” “Have you never done A-Z?!’ is not constructive feedback. That will make people leave. This is why you’re always advertising

J D Wetherspoon2019-05-24
  5. "Awful Place"

Former Employee - Kitchen Staff in Abergavenny, Wales

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some staff, nothing else. Everything else is bad

Cons

Everything, all management awful! Area managers the lot!

Advice to Management

Get a life, you earn basically nothing! Spoons is not the end of the world

J D Wetherspoon2019-03-30

April 30, 2019Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for your review. We are sorry things did not work out for you and wish you all the best for the future

"they are liars"

Former Employee - Kitchen Staff in Harrow on the Hill, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than a year

Pros

THERE AREN'T ANY PROS TO BE HONEST ( you even have to pay for your own food or drinks)

Cons

lies, low salary, lesser pay if you work more hours, they make the salaries from their heads u can get one week 150 another 240 the next one 200.....they just give u whatever number they have in mind

Advice to Management

instruct your managers not to lie the staff

J D Wetherspoon2019-02-21

March 22, 2019Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thanks for your feedback which we will follow up, good luck in your next role.

7. "Kitchen"

Kitchen Staff in Manchester, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon for more than 3 years

Pros

Quite flexible Good during study’s

Cons

Asked to do so much, for so little money, especially in the kitchen. The owner supports brexit

Advice to Management

Increase pay or employ more people to even the load on workers.

J D Wetherspoon2018-10-19

October 23, 2018Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for your feedback, your comments will be discussed further in our weekly meetings.

8. "Ridiculous Job"

Current Employee - Kitchen Staff in Carlisle, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a easy job to get, there are lots of hours if you want them. Weekly pay is also a bonus and keeps you working for the next pay check.

Cons

Incompetent and childish supervisors create an unprofessional and unwelcoming working environment for new staff. Food hygiene was a problem when I was there (lack of hand washing, raw meat and cooked meat handled straight after each other without gloves creating a risk of cross contamination, chefs smoking in uniform etc). The food production is made to be idiot proof with everything microwaved (even microwavable... poached eggs!?) but creates a job devoid of job satisfaction simply waiting for microwaves to cook food. Ultimately a very repetitive and mind numbing job with safety concerns due to a poor quality of staff.

Advice to Management

Try to be professional. It was ridiculous to see kitchen supervisors and management walk around ticking and signing boxes in a book while looking over obvious safety concerns. Perhaps more in depth training can given in person rather than clicking through tasks online where knowledge and progress can really be checked. The environment in the kitchen was also toxic during busy periods, a lack of leadership is... apparent (supervisors washing dishes when busy?) so my advice would be to replace and hire leaders capable of being responsible and organised under pressure.

J D Wetherspoon2018-11-22

November 28, 2018Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, your feedback will be discussed in our weekly meetings. we aim to create a work environment welcoming for all in the workplace and if you can share specifics of this and any other feedback that could help improve we would like to address it. I would encourage you to speak with someone in the P&T department.

"Don't Bother"

Kitchen Staff in Southampton, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

Very bad company, unprofessional. I was hired as a kitchen member in April, not that they only gave me the first shifts 12 hours in advance, but once I got into the kitchen I was expected me to know everything. I was shout at, I was accused guilty of stealing a kitchen tool that was huge by the way by one my co-workers, even though there wasnt any proof on camera that I ever did something like that, I was being... treated with inferiority by the other kitchen employees, humiliated in front of others, I wasn't paid enough if I had a shift until closing time, cause sometimes the computer couldn't recognize the time i clocked in. I was never appreciated for the hard work and initiative, for example I used to clean everything in the kitchen as perfect as possibile when other members used to take breaks or to leave me with lots of tasks. Because I was under 21 the pay was horrific. 6.85 per hour is not worth it for the effort and everything that requires to work there. I took a day off uni once because they gave me a closing shift in the middle of the week, next day I was supposed to have uni in the morning, plus they were aware of my avaiability since I gave it to them when I was hired. On top of that, when I was about to be promoted as an Associate I was fired without 1 week notice. iterally i went on a normal day to work, i was in the changing room , and the kitchen leader told me to "have a word with him". Letting me know how i've been doing, and at the end of the conversation to find out i was fired. I had to pay my accomodation since I am a student and I had other type of payments to made. They didn't even care to respect the contract and to give me 1 week notice. I was left completely without a job and hope within 1 hour. Completely unprofessional. If you're a student don't bother to apply, they exploit you because you are younger and legally paid 6 pounds, where others are paid 8 pounds for the same job/tasks you do. They take advantage of students,I've seen this in other Wetherspoons too. Fun story : I dropped something on my nail toe when I was working on the night shift cleaning and taking stuff to the dish wash. After 2 weeks my nail toe got black and it started to hurt like crazy. I woke up one day with a horrible pain and I couldn't even walk to the kitchen to cook myself something.I called in saying that I can't go to work because of my feet, explained them the situation, saying that I will go to the emergency and i will present medical records as soon as I can(which I did). They told me I should have called in advance. How tf to call in advance if I didn't predicted that???? IT'S A MEDICAL PROBLEM, NOT A DAY AT SHOPPING WITH THE GIRLS. Anyways, on 5th of June, the day I went to work, I found out I was fired for I quote"not attending work due to the sickness" and "for not buying safety ktichen shoes in 3 weeks, even though when I got hired the kitchen leader told me" yeah, that's the procedure, but I'm not requiring my staff to wear that". And literally no one said anything about it since not many people respected that rule. During my last month working there they had gone through hiring process which I thought it was one of the constant hiring phases they go through every 2 months. Well, to put every piece together 1 month later and to find out, they found me a replacement without telling me anything was going to happen.

Cons

no free food during shift, bullying, not a nice atmosphere, paid uncorrectly, if you have any problem or if they see you asking questions about work you make them unconfortable. Even if you want water you have to pay, unless you don't wanna drink from the sink.

Advice to Management

Change it completely, hire professional people that care about the working environment and the well being of the employees

J D Wetherspoon2018-06-06

"Kitchen associate"

Kitchen Staff
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at J D Wetherspoon for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible with amount of hours undertaken Average pay

Cons

Unpleasant hours Poor team morale Too much responsibility for what i was being paid.

Advice to Management

Need to be prepared to put in as much as you expect the rest of your team to do. Respect is earned and not given.

J D Wetherspoon2018-01-25