J D Wetherspoon Kitchen Staff Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.4
J D Wetherspoon CEO and Director John Hutson
John Hutson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The pay was good and the discount on food was useful whilst working" (in 51 reviews)

• "Best staff benefits I've ever recieved (50% off food whilst working)" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours (have done up to 12 hour shifts before)" (in 112 reviews)

• "They reduced the hours in the contract to improve work life balance but in reality you are always there longer than your rotary" (in 32 reviews)

"Positive Interview and Hiring Experience"

Current Employee - Kitchen Staff in Brigg, England
    Current Employee - Kitchen Staff in Brigg, England

Pros

I was informed during the interview that I would be paid around £4.60 per hour
    I would receive around 10-12 hours work per week (Part-time)
    Would be part of a large friendly team

Cons

Often busy and can be stressful
    Sometimes you have to deal with rowdy customers
    Local, you may know a lot of the customers

Advice to Management

I had a very positive interview experience and enjoyed the hiring process

2. "Kitchen"

Former Employee - Kitchen Staff in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Kitchen Staff in Manchester, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon (More than 3 years)

Pros

Quite flexible
    Good during study’s

Cons

Asked to do so much, for so little money, especially in the kitchen.
    The owner supports brexit

Advice to Management

Increase pay or employ more people to even the load on workers.

23 Oct 2018 – Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for your feedback, your comments will be discussed further in our weekly meetings.

"Don't Bother"

Current Employee - Kitchen Staff in Southampton, England
    Current Employee - Kitchen Staff in Southampton, England

Pros

Very bad company, unprofessional. I was hired as a kitchen member in April, not that they only gave me the first shifts 12 hours in advance, but once I got into the kitchen I was expected me to know everything. I was shout at, I was accused guilty of stealing a kitchen tool that was huge by the way by one my co-workers, even though there wasnt any proof on camera that I ever did something like that, I was being treated with inferiority by the other kitchen employees, humiliated in front of others, I wasn't paid enough if I had a shift until closing time, cause sometimes the computer couldn't recognize the time i clocked in. I was never appreciated for the hard work and initiative, for example I used to clean everything in the kitchen as perfect as possibile when other members used to take breaks or to leave me with lots of tasks. Because I was under 21 the pay was horrific. 6.85 per hour is not worth it for the effort and everything that requires to work there. I took a day off uni once because they gave me a closing shift in the middle of the week, next day I was supposed to have uni in the morning, plus they were aware of my avaiability since I gave it to them when I was hired.
     On top of that, when I was about to be promoted as an Associate I was fired without 1 week notice. iterally i went on a normal day to work, i was in the changing room , and the kitchen leader told me to "have a word with him". Letting me know how i've been doing, and at the end of the conversation to find out i was fired. I had to pay my accomodation since I am a student and I had other type of payments to made. They didn't even care to respect the contract and to give me 1 week notice. I was left completely without a job and hope within 1 hour. Completely unprofessional. If you're a student don't bother to apply, they exploit you because you are younger and legally paid 6 pounds, where others are paid 8 pounds for the same job/tasks you do. They take advantage of students,I've seen this in other Wetherspoons too.

Fun story : I dropped something on my nail toe when I was working on the night shift cleaning and taking stuff to the dish wash. After 2 weeks my nail toe got black and it started to hurt like crazy. I woke up one day with a horrible pain and I couldn't even walk to the kitchen to cook myself something.I called in saying that I can't go to work because of my feet, explained them the situation, saying that I will go to the emergency and i will present medical records as soon as I can(which I did). They told me I should have called in advance. How tf to call in advance if I didn't predicted that???? IT'S A MEDICAL PROBLEM, NOT A DAY AT SHOPPING WITH THE GIRLS. Anyways, on 5th of June, the day I went to work, I found out I was fired for I quote"not attending work due to the sickness" and "for not buying safety ktichen shoes in 3 weeks, even though when I got hired the kitchen leader told me" yeah, that's the procedure, but I'm not requiring my staff to wear that". And literally no one said anything about it since not many people respected that rule.

During my last month working there they had gone through hiring process which I thought it was one of the constant hiring phases they go through every 2 months. Well, to put every piece together 1 month later and to find out, they found me a replacement without telling me anything was going to happen.

Cons

no free food during shift, bullying, not a nice atmosphere, paid uncorrectly, if you have any problem or if they see you asking questions about work you make them unconfortable.
     Even if you want water you have to pay, unless you don't wanna drink from the sink.

Advice to Management

Change it completely, hire professional people that care about the working environment and the well being of the employees

"Kitchen associate"

Former Employee - Kitchen Staff
    Former Employee - Kitchen Staff

I worked at J D Wetherspoon (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible with amount of hours undertaken
    Average pay

Cons

Unpleasant hours
    Poor team morale
    Too much responsibility for what i was being paid.

Advice to Management

Need to be prepared to put in as much as you expect the rest of your team to do. Respect is earned and not given.

5. "Great place to work but not flexible hours"

Former Employee - Kitchen Staff in Coventry, England
    Former Employee - Kitchen Staff in Coventry, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, Training facilities, Development Opportunities

Cons

Store manager plays an dominant role. If he/she doesn't like you then you life at work will be hard. You won't get enough hours unless they really need you.

Advice to Management

Fair decision in terms of promoting someone. Don't just choose your favourite person.

12 Dec 2017 – Recruitment CoOrdinator

We’re sorry to hear that Wetherspoon wasn’t for you and hope that you find a role that better suits you

6. "Average job"

Current Employee - Kitchen Staff in London, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a very good food discount

Cons

Training given could be improved

7. "bonuses"

Former Employee - Kitchen Staff in Melton, England
    Former Employee - Kitchen Staff in Melton, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon (More than a year)

Pros

really good bonus pay scheme

Cons

actually very difficult to achive anywhere near the top level of bonus

8. "Wetherspoon"

Current Employee - Kitchen Staff in London, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment to work in

Cons

Sometimes it gets busy during nights

Advice to Management

None

"Kitchen staff"

Former Employee - Kitchen Staff in Liverpool, England
    Former Employee - Kitchen Staff in Liverpool, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tips were shared by a fraction with kitchen staff

Cons

Bad wage
    Minimal benefits
    Bad working conditions
    Poor treatment
    No respect

Advice to Management

Treat staff how you would like to be treated

4 Apr 2016 – Senior Recruitment & Training Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. All comments we receive are discussed internally and sent to the area manager of the relevant pub/location. I note that you no longer work for us, if... More

"Kitchen Associate"

Former Employee - Bar/Kitchen Staff in Hexham, England
    Former Employee - Bar/Kitchen Staff in Hexham, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon (Less than a year)

Pros

Given a lot of responsibility, and with time and commitment it is easy to move up the management ladder.

Cons

Long hours, and the kitchen has a tendency to be understaffed meaning usually more hours than the typical 20 per week for part-timers. However the branch I worked at was very flexible as to how the hours were distributed.

22 Feb 2016 – Senior Recruitment & Training Manager

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you saw the career paths available to you as an Associate - 80% of our Shift Managers started as Associates. The kitchen is a busy part of our pubs and we really... More