J D Wetherspoon Pub Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 25 reviews

3.8
J D Wetherspoon CEO John Hutson
John Hutson
  1. "Used to be a great company"

Former Employee - Pub Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good technology and systems, very efficient and time productive.

Cons

Must work every Fri/Sat Lost the personal touch, no longer feel part of the family.

Advice to Management

Reduce pressure on pub teams by giving time to managers to manage.

J D Wetherspoon2017-07-25

August 1, 2017Recruitment CoOrdinator

Thank you for your feedback, we are sorry to hear that some things were not as you had expected and will work to resolve such issues.

2. "Pays reasonably well..."

Current Employee - Pub Manager in Nottingham, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay Bonus- if you get it Colleagues- your team are everything, it's a shame those higher up don't recognise this

Cons

It's always "who" not what you know Inconsistent treatment of employees from pub manager down to associate.

Advice to Management

Expecting more from less will not last long term, the ideal is less hours but need to have a say in our headcount to enable this to happen.

J D Wetherspoon2017-07-07

July 24, 2017Recruitment CoOrdinator

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, your feedback will be discussed in our weekly meetings, and I would encourage you to give feedback directly to your manager if you think there are improvements to be made.

3. "Can be great"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Free food, decent stock bonus, challenging yet rewarding and you could be lucky and inherit a great team

Cons

Do your job get and your bonuses then you can earn some good money but with boardroom adjustIng targets to suit the share price it gets harder and harder.

Advice to Management

Relax a little. Set real targets by being realistic to each individual pub, trust us a little after all you put us in the position

J D Wetherspoon2017-02-09

February 21, 2017Recruitment CoOrdinator

4. "Hard work but rewarding"

Current Employee - Pub Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Ability to build Career opportunities in a fast paced environment which builds a wide range of skills, being left with huge responsibilities and trusted ensure the business runs smoothly

Cons

Working to tight budgets with small staff hours, faced paced and demanding, mainly attract students and young workers due to social venues

Advice to Management

None

J D Wetherspoon2016-09-06
  5. "Pub Manager"

Current Employee - Pub Manager in London, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent bonus and remuneration scheme. Strong support network and communication from above. Excellent training programme.

Cons

Unsociable hours Potential conflict with problem customers

J D Wetherspoon2016-08-28

September 5, 2016Recruitment CoOrdinator

6. "managers"

Former Employee - Pub Manager in Huddersfield, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon for more than 10 years

Pros

organised, forward looking company that supplies the tools to enable the manager to concentrate on the customer experience. always innovating and changing the pub landscape

Cons

often not seen as the best place to work at

J D Wetherspoon2016-07-09

July 11, 2016Recruitment and Training Manager

Thank you very much for your feedback

"Pub manager struggles"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Bonus. (When hit) Love the job Social being I around new people everyday

Cons

Pressure from above almost unbearable Management pay is falling behind other companies Head office frustration

Advice to Management

A good and enjoyable job if you can deal with the pressure. If you can make it in spoons you can make it anywhere!

J D Wetherspoon2016-05-17

May 23, 2016Recruitment & Training Systems Manager

We appreciate your comments - it really helps us understand where we're 'at' and what work we have to do going forward.

"Pub Manager - High Pressure and Slashing of Labour Budgets"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary and Bonuses are excellent if you can achieve very challenging targets. Excellent personnel support and well designed training structure. If you enjoy structure, can follow all, sometimes conflicting focuses from Area Managers, Auditors, Mystery Shoppers, Marketing etc without question, and can cope with hours budgets being slashed without notice, discussion or reasoning, then this is the challenging environment...

Cons

Difficult to achieve work-life balance. Hours budget is incredibly strictly controlled, with daily emails if it looks like you are going to overspend by even 1 hour that week, and Area Managers usually phoning you also, which is highly distracting. Company has very tight control on Head Office costs, which results in errors and waste of money in terms of marketing, which can be frustrating due to the above hours focus....

Advice to Management

Pressure on Pub Managers is reaching critical levels. Hours budgets are tight already, be sure to be open to discussion and involve the Pub Managers, as sweeping cuts are making us consider our options.

J D Wetherspoon2016-05-14

May 16, 2016Recruitment & Training Systems Manager

Thank you for your comments. Working smarter is a key focus, you're right - support and clarity on how we can do this is key, so that it does not have that detrimental effect you mention. One for further debate this week and on-going certainly.

"Someone who cares"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Worked with some amazing people and learnt a lot about managing people.

Cons

The job attracts 16-21 year olds who are literally turning up for their beer money at the end of the week. Hard to build a team out of people who arent fully invested in the business. Goalposts and budgets often moved about to suit senior management and bonus' becoming unacheivable. Unrealistic manning hours targets to meet expected standards with hours removed for price increases but not invested when volumes increase....

Advice to Management

Before plummeting prices assess the additional labour costs required to keep up the standards pubs are assessed on. Make it easier to motivate staff teams. Look after those who really care about running a good pub.

J D Wetherspoon2016-03-18
  10. "Hard work , frantic atmosphere"

Current Employee - Pub Manager in Stalybridge, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Meet all sorts of people day to day, decent enough pay and benefit scheme. Good sense of job security and progression if your ambitious. Good incentives to do well

Cons

Late nights, early mornings with no routine, dealing with abusive customers.. Expectation of the company in terms of work load! To much gossip and arguments among staff. Very hard work compared to other similar jobs in the industry

Advice to Management

Make sure you don't have a family if your working as a manager as the hours and shift pattern will destroy any relationship eventually. Get in the habit of recording things down and remember how hard everyone's job is

J D Wetherspoon2016-03-15