J D Wetherspoon Bar/Floor Associate Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.1
J D Wetherspoon CEO and Director John Hutson
John Hutson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The pay was good and the discount on food was useful whilst working" (in 53 reviews)

• "20% of food and drink off shift" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "long hours, shift work, no work life balance" (in 117 reviews)

• "Staff busy condition work life balance" (in 39 reviews)

1. "Best job I've had"

Current Employee - Bar/Floor Associate in Cardiff, Wales
    Current Employee - Bar/Floor Associate in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong team that work hard so the job is rarely stressful despite being very busy

Very well paid holiday days

Flexibility with shifts

Cons

Last minute rota changes

Occasional inconvenient hours (for example 15.00-23.00 which takes up both your afternoon and evening)

Advice to Management

Stick to the employee handbook more to ensure all staff are given their entitled rights

2. "bar associate"

Former Employee - Bar/Floor Associate

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, 20% discount when in branch, 50% off on shift, good, fun and friendly crew of staff

Cons

sometimes very busy and short staff. Expected to do alot for the pay for under 21s

22 Mar 2019 – Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for your review. Great to hear you enjoyed your time at Wetherspoon and appreciated the employee discount and our approach to flexible working. We wish you every success with your future.

"Bar and floor assosciate"

Current Employee - Bar/Floor Associate in Tamworth, England
    Current Employee - Bar/Floor Associate in Tamworth, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    The job itself can be quite fun and rewarding

Cons

The way management speaks to you can be very demoralizing
    I don't believe there is a way to work up the career ladder quickly at all
    Work life balance is not taken into account

Advice to Management

Learn some people skills

5 Mar 2019 – Senior Recruitment Advisor

It is good to hear that you find your pub a great place to work. You can find out more about our training and apprenticeship programmes and how to progress on myJDW. Good luck.

4. "Don't work here!"

Former Contractor - Bar/Floor Associate in Port Talbot, Wales
    Former Contractor - Bar/Floor Associate in Port Talbot, Wales

I worked at J D Wetherspoon as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working here

Cons

Bad management, change the rota and don't let you know, favour certain members of staff, terrible pay

5. "A great job if you throw yourself into it"

Current Employee - Bar/Floor Associate
    Current Employee - Bar/Floor Associate

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

JD Wetherspoon tries hard to be a good employer, with generous discounts and benefits, plenty of upward progression within the company and good internal policies.

Cons

The shift work is difficult as you're never working the same shifts one week to the next. Working in the pub is stressful and takes stamina as you're on your feet all the time.

12 Dec 2017 – Recruitment CoOrdinator

6. "Spoons"

Current Employee - Bar/Floor Associate in Darwen, England
    Current Employee - Bar/Floor Associate in Darwen, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and ideal when it comes to holidays, decent pay

Cons

Could end up working till 3/4/5/6am, long shifts, intense

28 Nov 2017 – Recruitment CoOrdinator

7. "Undervalued by management"

Former Employee - Bar/Floor Associate in Oakham, England
    Former Employee - Bar/Floor Associate in Oakham, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility for students and most importantly -The team. the team. the team. Every time, all the time.

I will admit spoons did a lot for me as a student and I was able to move between 4 different pubs during the years I was with them, which helped me return to visit family on the holidays and also helped me move on to progress to another uni at another location without having to add the stresses of finding another source of income. That was brilliant and i never had any issues moving between them, it was so fluid.

But most importantly what you notice in everyone is the strong sense of family - particularly in Carlisle (william rufus). But the problem I noticed increasingly as time went on was the constant issues of understaffing (not necessarily at the pub just mentioned) which drive the team to breaking point. however - and I hope whoever reads this does not abuse this - you care about your team so much you come in, and help out free of charge just to make sure they don't suffer.

Cons

It ruins your life

Although you can transfer back home to see your family and friends - you don't see them unless they are on the other side of the bar.

I worked for the company for 4 years, and I was never able to progress in the company. Despite being called one of the 'aces' they put in 'places'. I personally felt abused for having a strong work ethic, and I never felt rewarded as the abuse continued and I was not considered for promotion because either I had not been in the team as long as others (fair) or because I was finishing uni soon and they expected me to leave. I was really disappointed as I reall had enjoyed the company and would not have minded progressing internally having been given the chance, but even if I was only made team leader it would have been some validation of the 4 years of hard work that I had put in.

I was put on every busy shift which meant for 3 years in a row I missed new years eve, fireworks night, halloween, and most of the local celebrations - watching family and friends having a great time while I watched. Over the christmas in particular I felt completely rinsed I was doing 9 -12 hour shifts most days, always on finishes (which I didn't want) and occasionally would mean me working 14 -16 hour shifts depending on how understaffed we were and how busy it had been as we weren't allowed to leave until the pub was fully cleaned at the end of every night . I never had 2 days off together so often spent my day sleeping to recover for the next shift. And sometimes - because you care about your team and you are all suffering together - you would offer to cover or pull split shifts too if someone was ill etc.

The final straw came when on the last year I worked for the company I simply requested to not be on a finish on christmas eve and to have boxing day off. I did not think this was unreasonable because of how much I had helped them, however when the rota came out I was down for a finish on christmas eve and was in at 9am on boxing day. It reduced me to tears as I knew the Pub managers both had all the days they wanted off and over the peak period and they also did not work past 6pm on any day and did not work saturdays.

The phrase do as I say not as I do, often came to mind.

They were also extremely critical whenever they would come in the next morning, however when you run your nights with the same exhausted staff I don't know what they expected.

One of the managers also called me a 'stupid little girl' (bear in mind I was 22) for putting a bottle top in the recycling bin by accident (the bins had been switched, I was shattered and on autopilot).

Looking back on these experiences I would have launched a formal complaint but I was niaive at the time and by that point - knew I wouldn't be hanging around.

When I started working there I loved the company by the end I hated it.

I have been back to the last pub I worked at since and it seems to have deteriorated more and there are none of the original staff left.

Once 'our' team started leaving, no one saw any reason to stay anymore, we really only stayed to support each other, not the business.

Advice to Management

You guys have all the right ingredients but as a staff member I felt abused and it could have been avoided. When you go in for CQSMA checks or just to drop by, take time to actually talk to the lower level staff they will tell you what is really happening in the pub, they don't have any reason to lie.

28 Nov 2017 – Recruitment CoOrdinator

Thank you for your feedback, we are sorry to hear that some things were not as you had expected and will work to resolve such issues.

"FLOOR STAFF Not worth the pay for the amount of work you need to do."

Former Employee - Bar/Floor Associate in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Bar/Floor Associate in Manchester, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Food was %50 off

Good work/social balance

Would occasionally get asked to come in and do extra shifts

Would meet a variety of people from different background and cultures

Cons

Majority of the work would become very monotonous after a couple of hours

If managers couldn’t be bothered doing a certain task e.g taking pints over to customers or taking out the rubbish, I would get asked to do it, regardless of how busy the pub was.

Hardly got a helping hand of anyone when the pub was busy.

I done majority of the work on the floor but got payed the least.

Some manager would get irritated if I asked for a break.

Online training was extremely outdated, tedious and unnecessary took to much time.

Some locals would be overly loud and rude

Advice to Management

Make the floor staff feel more appreciated as they do the most labour.

Get bar staff to offer a helping hand when it looks like they are struggling, or if it was busy.

28 Nov 2017 – Recruitment CoOrdinator

We’re sorry to hear that Wetherspoon wasn’t for you and hope that you find a role that better suits you. All comments will be discussed further in our weekly meetings.

9. "Good Training"

Former Employee - Bar/Floor Associate

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Busy environment, working with customers

Cons

Can be stressful, rota given a week in advance

Advice to Management

Nothing really

18 Aug 2017 – Recruitment CoOrdinator

10. "Bar Associate"

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time

Pros

Pleasant Management and experience overall

Cons

Moody co-workers, two faced. Very VERY Disorganised

Advice to Management

Watch out for who your Bar managers select to work in your pubs.

26 Sep 2017 – Recruitment CoOrdinator

Thank you for your review. All comments will be discussed further in our weekly meetings.