J D Wetherspoon Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

J D Wetherspoon Reviews

Updated 23 January 2019
1,026 reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The pay was good and the discount on food was useful whilst working" (in 52 reviews)

• "Best staff benefits I've ever recieved (50% off food whilst working)" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Can be long hours above those contracted with no additional pay if in salary" (in 117 reviews)

• "They reduced the hours in the contract to improve work life balance but in reality you are always there longer than your rotary" (in 36 reviews)

1. "Wetherspoons"

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time

Pros

Decent pay, bonuses, young staff

Cons

Dealing with the drunks can be frustrating

2. "More positivity"

Current Employee - Pub Manager in Durham, England
    Current Employee - Pub Manager in Durham, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay, enjoyable most of the time

Cons

The negativity from area managers.. pubs being pitched against each other.. no praise for strengths, constant criticism

Advice to Management

Be more positive with pub managers who are working hard on the front line... not everyone likes to sit in an office reading reports.. these need to be made sharp and quick to read if that is what is required.

3. "One of the worst companies to work for"

Former Employee - Shift Manager
    Former Employee - Shift Manager

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is reasonable, although as management I would regularly work 10+ hours more than my contract and not receive any extra pay or time off.
    Bonuses were good.

Cons

Shocking company to work for if you have mental health problems, having to go back to work 5 days after leaving a psychiatric facility because you cannot afford any more time off is shocking, especially when more favoured employees are allowed to use holiday pay when they have time off for less serious illnesses.
    Being expected to work over your contracted hours most weeks and receiving no extra pay.
    Pub managers being allowed to bend the rules to suit them regardless of it being completely against company policy.
    Pub managers being allowed to bully staff and other managers, area managers getting involved and not making any changes to the situation leaving you unable to turn to anyone else.
    Favouritism is rife within the business and it is very much ‘if your face fits’.

Advice to Management

Empower employees to act against bullying and favouritism in the workplace without fear of repercussion.
    Pay management for the extra hours they work, don’t assume that the hours logged on T&A are what we have actually worked, surely you cannot expect anyone to be able to jump through all the hoops you set, complete all the extra tasks expected by grade 4 and above managers and run a shift on 42.5 hours a week.

4. "Not Too Bad"

Former Employee - Bar Associate in London, England
    Former Employee - Bar Associate in London, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to progress if you're interested in the industry, better pay than many independent pubs or similar jobs, provide quite thorough training, management are supportive when dealing with difficult customers or situations, often opportunities for extra shifts if you would like them, being part of a large company offers you some sense of security and protection as an employee.

Cons

Experience is highly dependent on your coworkers and the atmosphere of the individual pub, long and antisocial working hours (although this is normal for the industry), can be hassled into regularly taking on extra shifts or staying longer than you were scheduled to, rota is only known for one week ahead so other aspects of your life end up taking a back seat, can be ethically compromising if you don't believe in the values of the company, high chances of having to deal with very difficult customers.

Advice to Management

Try to plan rotas further in advance and stick to scheduling employees for the number of hours they are contracted for.

5. "Wetherspoons"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time

Pros

The pay is pretty decent. I enjoy bar work anyway and my colleagues are great

Cons

Would like more hours. Seem to keep hiring more staff and then the current staff are left with no hours

22 Jan 2019 – Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for your feedback. We would recommend you speak to your manager about your hours.

6. "Good pay, and good people. but stressful often."

Current Employee - Bar Associate
    Current Employee - Bar Associate

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon (More than 3 years)

Pros

The manager was lovely, highly understanding and one of the hardest working people I've ever met.

Good people, highly social environment, decent pay for the type of work.

Very flexible hours.

Cons

Dealing with customers in a pub is always a challenge. 90 per cent are lovely, but you will encounter less nice people from time to time.

Upper management was remarkably organised, telling us we were going to have a refurb multiple times and never delivering. I knew people who had to leave their job because of this and nobody outside our pub seemed to care at all.

Area manager was a bully. To new staff and the over worked managers.

Advice to Management

There has to be more accountability from the top down.

7. "Work hard, nasty customers, late nights"

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

Team effort, good friends drinks after work

Cons

Little work life balance. Rota changes too much

8. "What an amazing place to be"

Current Employee - Bar Staff
    Current Employee - Bar Staff

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture
    Brilliant staff banter
    Lots of charity opportunities
    Very sociable
    Enhanced pay after 12am
    Many more Pro's

Cons

Would love to work more hours, but due to budgeting that's currently not possible

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work

22 Jan 2019 – Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We are pleased you are enjoying working with us.

9. "Pretty much what you'd expect"

Former Employee - Bartender in Norwich, England
    Former Employee - Bartender in Norwich, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon (Less than a year)

Pros

- good environment
    - flexible hours as a student
    - Understanding management

Cons

- no tips allowed
    - inconsistent shift patterns

22 Jan 2019 – Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to leave your review.

10. "Amazing culture"

Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England
    Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at weatherpersons for 2 , almost 3 years. Had an amazing time learning the trade and building relationships with the regulars and co workers/managers. This is specific to my branch, however know other weatherpersons in the area with similar cultures. Flexible shifts if a good worker, good discount in all branches and attitude of constant self improvement with skills that are transferable in any business.

Cons

Sometimes the drive for success from head office, with new incentives and ideas can improve some areas, however if specific branches arnt making enough to fund extra staff, the options left are leaving later on closes to ensure all jobs (new and old) are done, or all jobs are done to a lesser standard where staff leave earlier. Requires Extremely high motivation to complete with quality in specific time frame.