J D Wetherspoon Shift Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

John Hutson

"Wetherspoon for succession"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Southgate, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Great rewards, paid holiday, bonus

Cons

Unsociable hours, can be long hours

J D Wetherspoon2017-05-19

May 23, 2017Recruitment CoOrdinator

2. "not the worst, not the best job"

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

good benefits, not a bad job at all for young people wanting to start a career

Cons

very hard work. work/life balance isn't the best.

J D Wetherspoon2019-05-14
  3. "Shift manager"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Free shares for long term employees Can be very flexible to ensure a healthy work/home life balance

Cons

New 40 hour working week works well, however the expected shift pattern may not suit every manager yet we're not given the choice to make changes. For example, some managers have childcare that may not fit around two days off in a row etc Increase in staff pay leads to cutbacks on hours - you're expected to work twice as hard on busy sessions because the pub still needs to make profit which is exhausting both managers...

Advice to Management

Give management their own choice if they wish to have split days off rather than two in a row

J D Wetherspoon2019-05-10
  4. "Working for spoons"

Current Employee - Shift Manager

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Discounts are always a plus on already cheap drinks and you can progress quickly

Cons

Being given unrealistic targets to hit with regards to hour usage Stressful hours that are often unsociable Work life balance.... What's that? Having to deal with abuse from the public and it being brushed off as if its okay.

Advice to Management

Your staff are your biggest asset and resource, cutting the hours they can use to run the pub is ridiculous. Your expecting us to cut hours and hours out of the rotas which leaves us running short almost every day and causing stress and anxiety amongst all the staff..... That's the reason people leave, people have bills to pay, families to raise, and while spoons is a great place to progress and learn loads of new skills...

J D Wetherspoon2019-04-28

May 20, 2019Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for your review. If you would like to discuss further the points you have raised, please get in touch by contacting us @ PersonnelAdvisors@jdwetherspoon.co.uk

5. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Shift Manager

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Good support from HO Well paid Good incentives

Cons

Lots of pressure to achieve targets whilst keeping costs down. Hard to progress after shift manager

Advice to Management

Keep in mind the pressure you put on pub management teams.

J D Wetherspoon2019-04-18

May 20, 2019Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for your positive comments about your pay and incentives. Please check out the current vacancies via myJDW for opportunities to progress .

6. "Mentally and physically draining"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Mid shifts if you were lucky to get them. The workforce was funny. Weekly pay.

Cons

Closing the night before a day off which meant waking up late but then having to go bed early because the next day you was opening. Constantly dealing with thing breaking.

J D Wetherspoon2019-04-04

April 30, 2019Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thanks for your review. If you would like to discuss further the points you have raised, please get in touch by contacting us @ PersonnelAdvisors@jdwetherspoon.co.uk

7. "alright"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon for more than 6 years

Pros

flexible shifts good bonuses free food/discounts make new friends

Cons

late nights unreliable staff management laziness head office calls unfair shift patterns change a lot

J D Wetherspoon2019-01-20

"One of the worst companies to work for"

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Pay is reasonable, although as management I would regularly work 10+ hours more than my contract and not receive any extra pay or time off. Bonuses were good.

Cons

Shocking company to work for if you have mental health problems, having to go back to work 5 days after leaving a psychiatric facility because you cannot afford any more time off is shocking, especially when more favoured employees are allowed to use holiday pay when they have time off for less serious illnesses. Being expected to work over your contracted hours most weeks and receiving no extra pay. Pub managers...

Advice to Management

Empower employees to act against bullying and favouritism in the workplace without fear of repercussion. Pay management for the extra hours they work, don’t assume that the hours logged on T&A are what we have actually worked, surely you cannot expect anyone to be able to jump through all the hoops you set, complete all the extra tasks expected by grade 4 and above managers and run a shift on 42.5 hours a week.

J D Wetherspoon2019-01-23

"Would never return to the company."

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Romford, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

20% discount on food 20% discount on drinks 50% while working Management feeding

Cons

Lack of policy inforcement Regularly unpaying staff Cash in hand work over Contracted Mistreatment of staff Poor training Regularly breaking licencing laws Stock manipulation Cash manipulation Area managers poorly trained

Advice to Management

After working for this company on and off since 18, it has clearly gone down hill. I stated a bunch of cons but the list could continue. My advice it's to write the whisle blowing email and be prepared to use regularly but don't expect any change, just saves your self when being investigated for it. Also be prepared for regular beach of data protection as company have no issue using phones to record Cctv and will share...

J D Wetherspoon2019-02-15

March 5, 2019Senior Recruitment Advisor

Sorry to hear you did not have a great experience. There are some points you have raised which we would like to look into further. Please get in touch by contacting us @ PersonnelAdvisors@jdwetherspoon.co.uk

"Stay away"

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Met some great people Free share scheme is great Training good

Cons

No appreciation Work for free Very difficult to have a personal /social life Constantly reminded that you are replaceable and just a number Never feel valued No sense of job security Unprofessional behaviour from senior management not uncommon

Advice to Management

Invest more hours if you want to increase workload. Pay staff a higher rate if you expect exceptional service. Listen to feedback, even (especially) if it isn't what you want to hear.

J D Wetherspoon2019-02-01

February 12, 2019Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thanks for your review and good luck for your future. If you have any further feedback please contact us @ PersonnelAdvisors@jdwetherspoon.co.uk

Found 58 reviews