J D Wetherspoon Shift Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.6
J D Wetherspoon CEO and Director John Hutson
John Hutson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The pay was good and the discount on food was useful whilst working" (in 53 reviews)

• "20% of food and drink off shift" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "long hours, shift work, no work life balance" (in 117 reviews)

• "Staff busy condition work life balance" (in 39 reviews)

"Wetherspoon for succession"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Southgate, England
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Southgate, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great rewards, paid holiday, bonus

Cons

Unsociable hours, can be long hours

23 May 2017 – Recruitment CoOrdinator

2. "alright"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in London, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible shifts
    good bonuses
    free food/discounts
    make new friends

Cons

late nights
    unreliable staff
    management laziness
    head office calls unfair
    shift patterns change a lot

"One of the worst companies to work for"

Former Employee - Shift Manager

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is reasonable, although as management I would regularly work 10+ hours more than my contract and not receive any extra pay or time off.
    Bonuses were good.

Cons

Shocking company to work for if you have mental health problems, having to go back to work 5 days after leaving a psychiatric facility because you cannot afford any more time off is shocking, especially when more favoured employees are allowed to use holiday pay when they have time off for less serious illnesses.
    Being expected to work over your contracted hours most weeks and receiving no extra pay.
    Pub managers being allowed to bend the rules to suit them regardless of it being completely against company policy.
    Pub managers being allowed to bully staff and other managers, area managers getting involved and not making any changes to the situation leaving you unable to turn to anyone else.
    Favouritism is rife within the business and it is very much ‘if your face fits’.

Advice to Management

Empower employees to act against bullying and favouritism in the workplace without fear of repercussion.
    Pay management for the extra hours they work, don’t assume that the hours logged on T&A are what we have actually worked, surely you cannot expect anyone to be able to jump through all the hoops you set, complete all the extra tasks expected by grade 4 and above managers and run a shift on 42.5 hours a week.

"Would never return to the company."

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Romford, England
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Romford, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

20% discount on food
    20% discount on drinks
    50% while working
    Management feeding

Cons

Lack of policy inforcement
    Regularly unpaying staff
    Regularly breaking licencing laws
    Stock manipulation
    Cash manipulation
    Area managers poorly trained

Advice to Management

After working for this company on and off since 18, it has clearly gone down hill. I stated a bunch of cons but the list could continue.

My advice it's to write the whisle blowing email and be prepared to use regularly but don't expect any change, just saves your self when being investigated for it.

Also be prepared for regular beach of data protection as company have no issue using phones to record Cctv and will share via Facebook, WhatsApp or Snapchat.

I enjoyed my early years at spoons but in the last three years of being in a management position I'm truly glad to be putting my spoonie career behind me.

I doubt Mr Tim Martin has even a basic understanding of what really is becoming of his company and the misconduct or gross misconduct that regularly goes on.

5 Mar 2019 – Senior Recruitment Advisor

Sorry to hear you did not have a great experience. There are some points you have raised which we would like to look into further. Please get in touch by contacting us... More

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Shift Manager

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Met some great people
    Free share scheme is great
    Training good

Cons

No appreciation
    Work for free
    Very difficult to have a personal /social life
    Constantly reminded that you are replaceable and just a number
    Never feel valued
    No sense of job security
    Unprofessional behaviour from senior management not uncommon

Advice to Management

Invest more hours if you want to increase workload. Pay staff a higher rate if you expect exceptional service. Listen to feedback, even (especially) if it isn't what you want to hear.

12 Feb 2019 – Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thanks for your review and good luck for your future. If you have any further feedback please contact us @ PersonnelAdvisors@jdwetherspoon.co.uk

"Paying for the chairmans bus"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in London, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is fair. Company tries to deliver the "associate promise" to ensure fair treatment of all staff. Training is very good. Especially at management level.

Cons

HO management don't seem to understand what it's like in pubs. They do everything in their power to make it harder for pub management to run pubs. Rather than upping the prices to foot the bill of higher hourly rates, they cut hours and make it harder to run the pub efficiently. All money seems to be spent on brexit paraphernalia and staff get the stick from customers for it.

Advice to Management

Tim needs to stop riding round on busses trying to be a politician and think about making the management's jobs easier. Or pay the managers some over time!

7. "Shift Manager"

Former Employee - Shift Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in London, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon (More than a year)

Pros

Great and amazing place to work, no doubt

Cons

Would prefer a higher paid job

4 Dec 2018 – Senior Recruitment Advisor

"Honest Manager Review"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Aberystwyth, Wales
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Aberystwyth, Wales

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's great that as a manager I get free food on shifts. 20% off shifts including alcohol.
    There is fast progression and the in-house management academy is brilliant with trainers who have come from front-of-house roles.
    Its great that the company is turning to being more people orientated with a goal to offer a good work/life balance.

Cons

There are many things that we as a company need to look at to actually offer what we say we are going to.

We need to look if our managers are actually working their 42.5 hour weeks. I think if a survey was to be completed by pub management then you would find that this very rarely happens. It's great that our hours are being reduced again in the near future, but will we actually stick to this? I don't think it is an area problem it is company wide. We are made to clock-out at our finish time and stay over to complete admin, complete appraisals, do displays, cover shortfall and everything else to make a pub run.

Area managers, head office and general managers want all pub management to work the floor. In an ideal world this is what we'd love to do, however we are unable to do so as problems arise as we are a busy pub company. Again this ties into working over your hours to complete other tasks. If i'm working the floor I am unable to complete admin tasks resulting in finishing 1-2 hours after I am supposed to do.

As pub management it was agreed we could have two consecutive days off and a weekend off a month. Who is actually looking in to this? If no one is telling pub managers that this needs to happen and to someone check then this will not be carried out. This might work in big sales pubs where the hours permit this to happen but I can tell you that this does not happen in smaller community pubs.

Hours and parameters are another big thing here. You will find yourself doing the job of two others, whilst unable to take a rest break as you need to send people home. Again staying later to complete jobs that you should have completed whilst clocked in. Who in head office or at operations level is checking that managers are receiving their breaks? Again I know that this does happen in bigger pubs but in smaller pubs who is checking this?

Advice to Management

I really think that a survey should be sent to all staff including management to actually see how this new people management is going. I know that it is early days but I think that Head office, AM's. GM's are completely out of touch with what happens at pub level.

The pressure you put on us to constantly save hours, where it gets to the point we cant take 10-15 mins to eat is getting too much for a lot of people. Who is actually checking that our managers are getting looked after? Who is actually checking that we are getting our breaks? How are we supposed to take a break when we need to save hours? How are we supposed to finish on time if we need to save hours? How can we get 100% CQ's when we are minimum staff? Complete a survey on how many managers actually get 2 consecutive days off and a weekend off a month.

Allow extra hours for pub management to have at least 2 office days a week (Mon+Tues) to complete all admin, appraisals etc instead of a running the bar, the floor, saving hours and doing admin. There needs to be time added into rotas to allow this to happen - yes pubs are starting to achieve a green people stock, but managers have run themselves into the ground making sure this happens in their own time. This should not be the case.

There needs to be measurable tools to assess if the people management is including management. If we can cut our managers some slack and actually praise them whilst addressing other issues then JD Wetherspoon will be one of the best employers in the UK.

23 Oct 2018 – Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, your feedback will be discussed in our weekly meetings, and I would encourage you to speak with someone in the Recruitment team at head office or the... More

"Easy Progress, Terrible job"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Bristol, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good money and free food once you become a manager, nice social environment, profit-audit bonuses ( which are very hard to get, but you do get it sometimes)
    You meet a lot of people through out your day.
    Can learn a lot if you are willing.
    Good news is if this is your first job you will be prepared for anything after this one. It can`t get any worse after spoons.

Cons

Terribly understaffed always, company standards are impossible to achieve with the amount of hours and staff allocated. Staff are overworked (60hr weeks) and always on edge of quiting, considering it is just about minimum wage it is not a hard decision to make.
    As a manager you just depend on 16-19 year old students/teenagers to turn up to work ( which they never do, but you can`t sack them because you are already massively understaffed).
    Relies on constant recruitment process since nobody wants to stay in these conditions and most of the time the ones that do stay are people that cant get a job anywhere else ( because they are unreliable or useless )
    Be prepared to do shifts that you don`t even get paid for (for managers it is 40 hrs a week but you ll always do extra and dont get paid)
    Security is only on at weekends ( which everybody is aware of) so be prepared to be assaulted by someone that just wants another beer.
    Awful customer base, you ll be watching people kill themselves slowly day by day on the 1.99 john smiths that you sell.
    You ll be pretending to be a quality restaurant that sells a burger and a beer for a fiver and what is even worse is your customers are going to pretend that they are paying a lot of money for that burger so they ll expect it to be upper class but cooked under 5 minutes.
    Be prepared for a lot of complaints from cheap, uneducated drunks that will shout
     and swear in your face for giving them 6% head instead of 5% on their 1.99 beer.
    There is a lot more cons I can go about but I think if these haven`t changed your mind nothing will.

Advice to Management

I suppose for what they aim to do in terms of head office they do it well, they make lots of money from poor drunks while giving their staff the training of their lifetime(you ll be pushed over your limits so much you ll be prepared for everything in life).
    In all seriousness they only and sole thing these businesses need is just to pay their staff properly so they don`t leave and also allocate more staff and hours to the pubs so again they won`t leave. It really isn`t that much more expensive when compared with the amount of money that goes in.

"An ok employer, struggles to look after staff, will have huge difference in experience based on the venue you end up at."

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Willenhall, England
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Willenhall, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good management training system
    Internal opportunity for progression always available
    Offer university courses
    Structured expectations can make the workload easier

Cons

Don’t usually get much say when your being transferred
    Money for the workload is pretty poor
    They reduced the hours in the contract to improve work life balance but in reality you are always there longer than your rotary

Advice to Management

Workload on bar and kitchen associates is often the reason for high staff turnover. Understaffing is a big problem.