J D Wetherspoon Shift Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.9
J D Wetherspoon CEO and Director John Hutson
John Hutson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The pay was good and the discount on food was useful whilst working" (in 51 reviews)

• "Best staff benefits I've ever recieved (50% off food whilst working)" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours (have done up to 12 hour shifts before)" (in 112 reviews)

• "They reduced the hours in the contract to improve work life balance but in reality you are always there longer than your rotary" (in 32 reviews)

"Wetherspoon for succession"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Southgate, England
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Southgate, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great rewards, paid holiday, bonus

Cons

Unsociable hours, can be long hours

23 May 2017 – Recruitment CoOrdinator

"Honest Manager Review"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Aberystwyth, Wales
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Aberystwyth, Wales

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's great that as a manager I get free food on shifts. 20% off shifts including alcohol.
    There is fast progression and the in-house management academy is brilliant with trainers who have come from front-of-house roles.
    Its great that the company is turning to being more people orientated with a goal to offer a good work/life balance.

Cons

There are many things that we as a company need to look at to actually offer what we say we are going to.

We need to look if our managers are actually working their 42.5 hour weeks. I think if a survey was to be completed by pub management then you would find that this very rarely happens. It's great that our hours are being reduced again in the near future, but will we actually stick to this? I don't think it is an area problem it is company wide. We are made to clock-out at our finish time and stay over to complete admin, complete appraisals, do displays, cover shortfall and everything else to make a pub run.

Area managers, head office and general managers want all pub management to work the floor. In an ideal world this is what we'd love to do, however we are unable to do so as problems arise as we are a busy pub company. Again this ties into working over your hours to complete other tasks. If i'm working the floor I am unable to complete admin tasks resulting in finishing 1-2 hours after I am supposed to do.

As pub management it was agreed we could have two consecutive days off and a weekend off a month. Who is actually looking in to this? If no one is telling pub managers that this needs to happen and to someone check then this will not be carried out. This might work in big sales pubs where the hours permit this to happen but I can tell you that this does not happen in smaller community pubs.

Hours and parameters are another big thing here. You will find yourself doing the job of two others, whilst unable to take a rest break as you need to send people home. Again staying later to complete jobs that you should have completed whilst clocked in. Who in head office or at operations level is checking that managers are receiving their breaks? Again I know that this does happen in bigger pubs but in smaller pubs who is checking this?

Advice to Management

I really think that a survey should be sent to all staff including management to actually see how this new people management is going. I know that it is early days but I think that Head office, AM's. GM's are completely out of touch with what happens at pub level.

The pressure you put on us to constantly save hours, where it gets to the point we cant take 10-15 mins to eat is getting too much for a lot of people. Who is actually checking that our managers are getting looked after? Who is actually checking that we are getting our breaks? How are we supposed to take a break when we need to save hours? How are we supposed to finish on time if we need to save hours? How can we get 100% CQ's when we are minimum staff? Complete a survey on how many managers actually get 2 consecutive days off and a weekend off a month.

Allow extra hours for pub management to have at least 2 office days a week (Mon+Tues) to complete all admin, appraisals etc instead of a running the bar, the floor, saving hours and doing admin. There needs to be time added into rotas to allow this to happen - yes pubs are starting to achieve a green people stock, but managers have run themselves into the ground making sure this happens in their own time. This should not be the case.

There needs to be measurable tools to assess if the people management is including management. If we can cut our managers some slack and actually praise them whilst addressing other issues then JD Wetherspoon will be one of the best employers in the UK.

23 Oct 2018 – Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, your feedback will be discussed in our weekly meetings, and I would encourage you to speak with someone in the Recruitment team at head office or the... More

"Easy Progress, Terrible job"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Bristol, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good money and free food once you become a manager, nice social environment, profit-audit bonuses ( which are very hard to get, but you do get it sometimes)
    You meet a lot of people through out your day.
    Can learn a lot if you are willing.
    Good news is if this is your first job you will be prepared for anything after this one. It can`t get any worse after spoons.

Cons

Terribly understaffed always, company standards are impossible to achieve with the amount of hours and staff allocated. Staff are overworked (60hr weeks) and always on edge of quiting, considering it is just about minimum wage it is not a hard decision to make.
    As a manager you just depend on 16-19 year old students/teenagers to turn up to work ( which they never do, but you can`t sack them because you are already massively understaffed).
    Relies on constant recruitment process since nobody wants to stay in these conditions and most of the time the ones that do stay are people that cant get a job anywhere else ( because they are unreliable or useless )
    Be prepared to do shifts that you don`t even get paid for (for managers it is 40 hrs a week but you ll always do extra and dont get paid)
    Security is only on at weekends ( which everybody is aware of) so be prepared to be assaulted by someone that just wants another beer.
    Awful customer base, you ll be watching people kill themselves slowly day by day on the 1.99 john smiths that you sell.
    You ll be pretending to be a quality restaurant that sells a burger and a beer for a fiver and what is even worse is your customers are going to pretend that they are paying a lot of money for that burger so they ll expect it to be upper class but cooked under 5 minutes.
    Be prepared for a lot of complaints from cheap, uneducated drunks that will shout
     and swear in your face for giving them 6% head instead of 5% on their 1.99 beer.
    There is a lot more cons I can go about but I think if these haven`t changed your mind nothing will.

Advice to Management

I suppose for what they aim to do in terms of head office they do it well, they make lots of money from poor drunks while giving their staff the training of their lifetime(you ll be pushed over your limits so much you ll be prepared for everything in life).
    In all seriousness they only and sole thing these businesses need is just to pay their staff properly so they don`t leave and also allocate more staff and hours to the pubs so again they won`t leave. It really isn`t that much more expensive when compared with the amount of money that goes in.

"An ok employer, struggles to look after staff, will have huge difference in experience based on the venue you end up at."

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Willenhall, England
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Willenhall, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good management training system
    Internal opportunity for progression always available
    Offer university courses
    Structured expectations can make the workload easier

Cons

Don’t usually get much say when your being transferred
    Money for the workload is pretty poor

Advice to Management

Workload on bar and kitchen associates is often the reason for high staff turnover. Understaffing is a big problem.

"Not for everyone"

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Grangemouth, Scotland
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Grangemouth, Scotland

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work/life balance, bonuses, free shares

Cons

Senior management need to remember how life as a manager is.

Advice to Management

When stepping up the ladder be wary of those you trod on to get there as when you fall back down they won't have forgotten.

6. "Good"

Current Employee - Shift Manager
    Current Employee - Shift Manager

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good not great wage, bonus' and perks great

Cons

Hours, life style obviously the state of customers

Advice to Management

All about making sure your back is covered in everything you do

"5 years of my life"

Former Employee - Shift Manager
    Former Employee - Shift Manager

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Actually a good company to work for if senior management are competent. Benefits are good, as are bonuses although these can be influenced by your management to lessen them. Very good standards and standardisation across the brand. The customers generally are good to get to know.

Cons

The feeling that you are just a number, not a person. Senior management appear to have no grip on reality. They place people in jobs they are clearly incapable of doing just to watch them fail. Senior management also seem capable of making decisions about your health without consultation from occupational therapists or doctors. The lack of help sometimes is astounding.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who work for you, and try to help rather than punish in difficult times. Treat people as people not numbers.

"Shift Manager"

Former Employee - Certified Shift Manager in Lancaster, England
    Former Employee - Certified Shift Manager in Lancaster, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ staff discounted meals
    + good rate of pay

Cons

- horrendous treatment of staff from senior management
    - constant negative-reinforcement to get work done
    - unrealistic targets and deadlines set
    - isolated work pattern, no chance for social life
    - can be forced to change site within 40 miles at short notice
    - little-to-no training. expected to run the building straight away
    - pressured into eating OOD stock to reduce waste, given disciplinary when contended against

Advice to Management

= help managers enjoy their jobs and this will reflect onto staff
    = help to change image of working at wetherspoons, its awful

"Shift Manager"

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Bristol, England
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Bristol, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Always a great team spirit. Fast, structured progression. Good Share save plan and discount schemes

Cons

Blame Culture, Long hours Often unfair rotas

Advice to Management

Look at rotas and the hours that your employees are expecting you to work.

24 Jul 2017 – Recruitment CoOrdinator

Thank you for your feedback, we are sorry to hear that some things were not as you had expected and will work to resolve such issues.

"Working for Spoons"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Southend-on-Sea, England
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Southend-on-Sea, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They look after you if you're a manager. I've enjoyed working for them over the years. I even returned after I left.

Cons

Can be hard for bar staff. Area managers and higher don't really care about the work force. Too many rules and regulations for working behind a bar.

4 Jul 2017 – Recruitment CoOrdinator

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, your feedback will be discussed in our weekly meetings, and I would encourage you to give feedback directly to your manager if you think there are... More