J D Wetherspoon Team Leader Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

John Hutson
  1. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Bar Team Leader in Leeds, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

Monthly bonuses and audit bonuses. Good hourly pay. Food discounts. Progression opportunities. The way pubs work together transferring stock and staff if you're ever in need.

Cons

Having to Part pour drinks and look like a moron. Head office change their minds every other minute. The obsession over craft ales and trying to become 'posh pubs'

J D Wetherspoon2016-03-15
  2. "Get on the ladder early or languish without a raise"

Former Employee - Bar Associate/Team Leader in Hull, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team atmosphere, diverse workforce, employee benefits, flexible hours, structured career ladder, secure and long term job prospects

Cons

Extra responsibility often given without any financial compensation or true gratitude of management. Unsociable hours, difficult customers & poor HR relstions

Advice to Management

The poor decisions if the management from a regional level to the individual franchises leads to a very fractured relationship between bottom level staff amd the hierarchy. The 'suck up' mentality which leads to poor members of staff being favoured for the more secure positions, over the progressive and entrepreneural characters who can strive under other business models

J D Wetherspoon2016-03-16
  3. "Uhh"

Current Employee - Kitchen Team Leader in Wimbledon, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time

Pros

If you have other responsibilities, this job works great around them with flexible hours

Cons

Very late and very early starts...horrible customers and flaky staff

Advice to Management

Talk to your staff, don't look down on them

J D Wetherspoon2016-03-15
  4. "Bar and Kitchen team leader"

Former Employee - Bar and Kitchen Team Leader in Leeds, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon for more than a year

Pros

The people that you work with who are in the same position who band together to help through a demoriliseing night

Cons

Everything else the company does not care about you unless your nose is firmly iserted inside various holes of management types. If you want a promotion, dont bother training and working hard, spend your time sociliseing with your higher ups. Get used and abused at a whim with out any thanks, any bonuses are subject to an ever shifting set of rules where even the management dont know what they are from day to day. Over...

Advice to Management

Define your job roles. Be fairer to ALL your staff. Be clued up on the rules and regulations and stick to them so your staff know what their doing and not constantly worrying if their doing their job propperly.

5. "Great Pub Job"

Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible Hours Fantastic team Everyone is friendly Good discount Always have fun on shift

Cons

Sometimes hours can be unsociable occasional customer fights and arguements that bit sucks

Advice to Management

look after all the staff and really have their back if a customer is rude to them, they deserve a team that supports them 100%

J D Wetherspoon2016-01-25
  6. "Out for themselves."

Former Employee - Team Leader in Watford, East Midlands, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon for more than a year

Pros

Good Team atmosphere but only on the zhop floor, anyone with any power there is just out for a money grab.

Cons

Management just want to work you into the ground until you quit then hire younger cheaper employees. Wont allow progression as this means they have to pay you more , they were merely "train" you for it and have you assume the duties with no vhange in title or pay , for years.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be a manager?

J D Wetherspoon2016-02-01

February 8, 2016Senior Recruitment & Training Manager

Thanks for leaving a review, and I'm pleased you thought there was a good atmosphere in your pub. We do encourage career progression (with 80% of our managers being promoted from Team leader and Shift leader), and I'm sorry if you didn't feel this was the case for you.

"Employee point of view"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Nottingham, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great staff to work with, good pay and bonus, cheap food as staff, as a gay member of staff they are very good at dealing with homophobia

Cons

long hours, early starts, too easy for customers to get refunds for the silliest things

Advice to Management

Look after staff they will look after customers

January 11, 2016Senior Recruitment & Training Manager

Thanks for your 5* review - it's great to get positive feedback from current employees. Our employees are really important to us so if you have any specific feedback or suggestions on how we could improve even further please let us know

• "Bar team leader"

Current Employee - Bar Team Leader in Acton, London, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

I enjoy working for wetherspoons they r flexible with the hours which works out very well for picking my kids up for school u get fab bonuses if u work hard and get to work with a gr8 team.

Cons

Drunk people complaints people with no manners

• "Working in a pub"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Maidstone, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than a year

Pros

workimg for wetherspoon you have added extras you get shares in the company some child care vouchers and pension package

Cons

The hours aren't ideal there is never a set finishing time Once you close you then have to clean which can take a while

Advice to Management

To many managers per pub do things different ways which leads to staff being confused as to the right way things are done

J D Wetherspoon2016-01-09
    • "Working for J D Wetherspoon"

Current Employee - Bar Team Leader in Stafford, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

I can't say that it's the same in every J D Wetherspoon pub but in the two where I have worked staff relationships make the job tolerable. It might be because you spend a large percentage of your life with these people and you share the same opinions, most of the time anyway, regarding customers, the company and those higher than you but working with people who you come to be good friends with makes the idea of turning...

Cons

The customers. A large majority of them are pleasant and polite and relationships with regulars do form however, the cheap beer attracts some of the worst kind of people. Arguments, fights, and a general lack of respect towards staff as a result of too many £1.99 carlsberg. J D Wetherspoon pubs are renowned for being understaffed and don't we hear about it every day off the customer who has to wait an extra 2 minutes...

Advice to Management

Be nicer to your staff! There is a real emphasis on being happy at work but that's not always possible when you're constantly being criticised for everything you do. In 6 years I don't think I have received praise once for something I have done at work, no thanks for working long hours in two pubs because they were understaffed. It's de motivational and makes you wonder why you even bother trying to be nice and polite.

January 11, 2016Senior Recruitment & Training Manager

Thanks for leaving a very detailed review. We do not tolerate bad behaviour from our customers so if this happens in your pub please raise it to the manager on duty. We know sometimes it's the small things that matter and a simple thank you is really important - we do value our ...

Found 64 reviews