J D Wetherspoon "food and drink" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 1187 reviews

3.4
J D Wetherspoon CEO John Hutson
John Hutson

"Good part-time job as a Student"

Former Employee - Bar Associate in London, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good progression if you are hard-working. Discount off food and drinks. Training provided.

Cons

Zero hour contract, your shifts are likely to be taken by colleagues who have been working there for longer than yourselves.

Advice to Management

Do not allow change of shifts without the consent of all parties involved.

J D Wetherspoon2018-01-09

"If you’re not “in” it you get pushed a side"

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Training scheme Bonus Scheme additional benefits; childcare vouchers, discount on food and drinks on and off shift. GMH contracts for non salaried staff.

Cons

No work life balance. No overtime for salaried staff. Unrealistic expectations One rule for one another for another.

Advice to Management

Being micro managed who is inconsistent on what is wanted so therefore completing a task or several but then mind changes halfway through. A lot of time wasted on indecisiveness. No added support to create a happy work life balance. If you are not part of the “groupie” then be prepared to be pushed a side and not advance in your career possibly suffer being Managed instead for all the hard work that makes other people...

J D Wetherspoon2017-11-09

November 28, 2017Recruitment CoOrdinator

Thank you for your review. All comments will be discussed further in our weekly meetings.

3. "Do not recommend working for Wetherspoons"

Current Employee - Bar Associate in Birmingham, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than a year

Pros

20% off food and drink when you're not working which is better than nothing so can't argue there. Some customers can be lovely. Can work your way up to management quite easily.

Cons

If you're over 18 you don't get a break until you've worked over 5 hours and it's only 15 minutes when legally a 15 minute break should be allocated after 4 1/2 hours of work. Managers will ask you to cut your break short if it is too busy, sometimes breaks aren't even given if it's too busy. Numerous times I've been asked to stay past my allocated shift and when explaining that I can't I feel as though I've been forced...

Advice to Management

Listen to complaints and actually do something about them. Hire managers who won't abuse their power.

J D Wetherspoon2017-11-04

November 28, 2017Recruitment CoOrdinator

Thank you for your feedback, we are sorry to hear that some things are not as you had expected and will work to resolve such issues. I would encourage you to give feedback directly to your manager if you think there are improvements to be made at a local level.

4. "Bar Staff"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

Discount on food and drinks

Cons

online training is very tedious

J D Wetherspoon2017-09-24

5. "Bar associate job"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time

Pros

Good discounts on food and drink

Cons

Can be tiring for what is a basic rate of pay

J D Wetherspoon2017-07-28

August 1, 2017Recruitment CoOrdinator

Thank you for your feedback.

6. "J.D Wetherspoons- Manchester Piccadilly Gardens"

Former Employee - Kitchen Associate in Manchester City Centre, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with. 50% off food and drinks (non- alcoholic) during working, non working hours. Discounts in other stores. Better pay for Kitchen Staff. Paid Holidays! The kitchen has to be very very clean so you learn a lot. You will definitely get thicker skin.

Cons

Long hours and starting shifts at 5am, latest shift was until 2am. Hard to have a social life and you loose a lot of money not having free lunch. The job is demanding with the 10 min food times which is almost impossible if lots of people order at the same time. You get in a lot of trouble if you do not reach the right food times even if you are under staffed. Because its a BIG company its hard to take care of their employees....

Advice to Management

Be reasonable with food times. If over 50 orders come in non stop, understand the 10min food time is very difficult when you do not have enough (experienced) staff. 10 mins should be changed to 20 min during the holidays with the HIGH demand. The more you rush the food... the quality drops dramatically and errors happen more often and you loose money.

J D Wetherspoon2016-10-21

November 15, 2016Recruitment CoOrdinator

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, your feedback will be discussed in our weekly meetings.

7. "Kitchen Associate"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time

Pros

Kitchen Work. Friendly Staff. Good Bonuses. Great part time job for students. It has got a career progression path. Discounts on food and drink within the company.

Cons

Can work shifts that are "a finish" which depending on staff numbers etc, can be very late in the night. Never really a guaranteed number of hours a week. Can sometimes be left to work in the kitchen alone.

J D Wetherspoon2016-08-20

"Has its ups and downs"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time

Pros

50% and 20% discount on food and drinks Pays more than minimum wage I was able to transfer to a pub closer to me

Cons

Managers have favorites Have to buy your own uniform Poor communication when it comes to rotas and shifts changing Can sometimes go without a break on busy shifts Rarely get a bonus Cant plan anything in your own time as rotas go up weekly

Advice to Management

Have set shifts per week or put rotas up further in advance

J D Wetherspoon2016-06-29

July 5, 2016Recruitment and Training Manager

Thank you for your feedback, it will be discussed at the weekly meetings

"Kitchen manager"

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Nottingham, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

Great on going training and good rates of pay, great bonuses. Good value food and drinks

Cons

Sometimes the company makes bad decisions and don't listen to the pub teams. Lots of operational mistakes

Advice to Management

Have more one to one meetings with the pubs, work with them instead of trying to catch them out, we are a great company with great talent in the pubs! Listen to them they know what works not middle management who have little/no experience working in pubs or for wetherspoons

J D Wetherspoon2016-03-15

"Good company"

Current Employee - Kitchen Associate in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, usually able to get time off when necessary, fantastic atmosphere and colleagues, the 50% off food and drink during shift is good, some drinks are free

Cons

Can get very very busy which is quite stressful, the work can be monotonous and repetitive, but what job isn't

Advice to Management

Stop telling people not to use their phones when you were doing the exact same before your promotion!

J D Wetherspoon2016-02-13

February 15, 2016Recruitment & Training Systems Manager

We appreciate your feedback, thank you. Getting the right balance, and offering good, relevant benefits are things we look long and hard at. We agree that it's not acceptable to be on mobiles at work - no matter who you are, the customer should be your focus, not your phone.

Found 1187 reviews