J D Wetherspoon "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

John Hutson

"Kitchen Staff"

Former Employee - Kitchen Associate in Saint Neots, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discounts on food and drink are very nice to have, 50% on shift 20% not on shift Extra shifts are freely available as very understaffed

Cons

Extremely short staffed, Almost no training. Unsocial hours Little to no work life balance Very little opportunity to progress Some very rude managers

Advice to Management

Hire more staff and treat the staff you already have better.

J D Wetherspoon2018-03-28
  2. "Charaxter builsing"

Current Employee - Kitchen Associate in Castleford, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with like-minded, friendly people and building good internal friendships. Almost always busy, can never be bored. Discounts both on and off shift. Giftcard incentives (per pub). Good team building and skill building opportunity.

Cons

Shift patterns can be all over the place. Pressure on busy shifts. Work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. The managers are excellent and work hard to keep things running smoothly.

J D Wetherspoon2018-03-30
  3. "Tiring work but good friends made"

Current Employee - Kitchen Associate in Sleaford, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time for more than a year

Pros

Usually lots of opportunities for extra work (i.e. covering shifts etc.) Made loads of great friends working there

Cons

Long shifts can be very tiring Some members of management can be awful at times You need to be very firm (in the example of a disability / injury / illness) with what you can and can't do. Some members of management make you come in even if you're ill, and then you turn up and you're sent home again because you're ill (???). Bonus is okay but can be very small if you only work part-time. Work/life balance...

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, and communicate with them. If they're ill, they're ill - don't make them come in anyway just to send them home again.

J D Wetherspoon2018-03-13
  4. "Not worth it."

Former Employee - Bar Staff

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

Discounted food on breaks Most colleagues do their outmost to help you when times are tough

Cons

Awful Pay Terrible Work/Life Balance Unsociable Hours Unfair Management Ridiculous Expectations

Advice to Management

Actually treat your staff with some respect. If someone is ill don’t pester them with phone calls asking what’s wrong with them. If someone needs time off, give it to them and actually remember that people have a life outside of work. Oh and actually pay us for all the cleaning we have to do at the end of the night.

J D Wetherspoon2017-11-15

November 28, 2017Recruitment CoOrdinator

We’re sorry to hear that Wetherspoon wasn’t for you and hope that you find a role that better suits you

"If you’re not “in” it you get pushed a side"

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Training scheme Bonus Scheme additional benefits; childcare vouchers, discount on food and drinks on and off shift. GMH contracts for non salaried staff.

Cons

No work life balance. No overtime for salaried staff. Unrealistic expectations One rule for one another for another.

Advice to Management

Being micro managed who is inconsistent on what is wanted so therefore completing a task or several but then mind changes halfway through. A lot of time wasted on indecisiveness. No added support to create a happy work life balance. If you are not part of the “groupie” then be prepared to be pushed a side and not advance in your career possibly suffer being Managed instead for all the hard work that makes other people...

J D Wetherspoon2017-11-09

November 28, 2017Recruitment CoOrdinator

Thank you for your review. All comments will be discussed further in our weekly meetings.

6. "Kitchen Assistant/Kitchen associate full time"

I worked at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

Good banter in the kitchen, 50% discount on food and soft drinks on shift, 30% discount on F&D off-shift

Cons

Long hours, bad break scheduling, crazy changing between early and late shifts, impossible to have a decent work/life balance, too many managers.

J D Wetherspoon2017-11-02

November 28, 2017Recruitment CoOrdinator

7. "Bartending For Beginners"

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

Great starter job for people who've not worked in bars or restaurants before, allowing them to learn the basics of customer service and food/drink preparation and service.

Cons

Over micromanagement of employees, poor shift attendances for staff leading to frequent late night/early morning phone calls for shifts being covered, causing poor motivation and work-life balance in employees.

Advice to Management

Scrapping management phrases of "If you can lean you can clean" and allowing staff to maintain a good report with both young and old regular customers at the cost of "cost-effective" time restrictions on service times and interactions outside of busy periods entices both staff and customers to return or be punctual.

J D Wetherspoon2017-07-18

August 1, 2017Recruitment CoOrdinator

"Its pepsi is that ok?"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Derby, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great discount, Great people, good Banter in a good team and excellent career prospects, almost all promotion is internal, listen to employees. upper managemant communication.

Cons

Poor work life balance, the managers saleried 45 hour week whilst it sounds nice has never been close to a reality, hard to achieve company KPI's

Advice to Management

Carry on doing what you are doing, but when we are 20 hours over consistently its not because we are taking it easy for 20 hours per week but its because we need those 20 hours to run the pub

J D Wetherspoon2017-06-13
  9. "Job security is up there"

Current Employee - Duty Manager Mod II in Lincoln, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free shares, control your own training, flexible with hours, structure, bonuses, you don't have to be robotic, you're encouraged to show your personality

Cons

Sometimes work load can be too much, low staff levels, schedule is always changing so you don't always know when you are working which makes it hard to have that work life balance

Advice to Management

Promote a shift leader for every duty manager and buddy them up to improve strength on shift

J D Wetherspoon2017-05-07

May 23, 2017Recruitment CoOrdinator

10. "Great as a student!"

Former Employee - Bar Associate in Leicester, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

Lots of flexibility with shifts Good staff discount

Cons

Whilst working here I enjoyed my time however at times there was a lack of organisation. There we're times when the rota had changed and I hadn't be notified of the update which made the work-life balance difficult at times.

J D Wetherspoon2017-03-26