J D Wetherspoon "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

J D Wetherspoon CEO John Hutson
John Hutson

"Good career prospects"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

Fast progression, good prospects, lots of support from above. Nice to have something to aim for and isn't "just pub work". With 900+ pubs it's not like I'm going to be wondering how long my job is going to last.

Cons

Late finishes, early mornings. Should be standard for the trade, but sometimes it can get to you. Sometimes that 11 hours between shifts law seems very, very flexible. Work/life balance is, as expected, truly awful. Even for management.

Advice to Management

There's a certain element of not knowing what happens in the rest of the country outside of London. Head Office aren't really in touch with what goes on outside of the M25 so some decisions from above can seem a little backwards. I appreciate that there's a company line to toe and consistency throughout is nice, but maybe things need to be a bit more bespoke.

J D Wetherspoon2017-01-15

January 31, 2017Recruitment CoOrdinator

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, your feedback will be discussed in our weekly meetings, and I would encourage you to give feedback directly to your manager if you think there are improvements to be made at a local level.

2. "Not the best"

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Chester, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon for more than 8 years

Pros

Shift work can be good Good to get to know some great people

Cons

Work life balance No over time Always want more from you

Advice to Management

Treat your staff well, they can get a lot of abuse in this job that you won't ever hear about

J D Wetherspoon2016-10-26

November 15, 2016Recruitment CoOrdinator

Thank you for your feedback, we are sorry to hear that some things were not as you had expected and will work to resolve such issues.

3. "Challenging but not always for the right reasons."

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Chester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

Free shares Bonus when achieved Progression opportunities sometimes available The people you work with can be great

Cons

Poor work/life balance Blatant favouritism in some cases Management salaries for shift managers not as good as they once were when compared to competitors within the industry. Regularly understaffed. It's difficult not to come across as negative given the atmosphere on my particular area over the last couple of years.

Advice to Management

Make the career path to Pub Manager more clear and assist Shift Managers in achieving this goal if they want it. Promote staff based on merit not on length of service or who puts in the most unpaid hours. Telling a shift manager that they are bad at their job, only work their contracted hours (especially when told this on a week where they have put in at least an extra 15-20) and that you are going to block their application...

J D Wetherspoon2016-09-02

"good"

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Newtown, Wales

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

bonus scheme is good, its in line with the pubs profits/perofrmance pension you are automatically enrolled onto pay is better than other retail jobs the managers courtses are rewarding

Cons

shifts are long at times working most weekends working evening shifts not great for work life balance

Advice to Management

a weekend day off every once in while reduction in working hours more frequents appraisals more personal feedback from head office callers

J D Wetherspoon2016-07-27
  5. "Hard work"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

Pay ok Enjoy working with my colleagues. Good training structure.

Cons

Poor work life balance. Always short staffed Long unsociable hours. Unrealistic targets.

J D Wetherspoon2016-05-31

June 1, 2016Recruitment & Training Systems Manager

Thank you for your review - we discuss the reviews in weekly meetings and are committed to finding ways to work around any issues

"Pub Manager - High Pressure and Slashing of Labour Budgets"

Current Employee - Pub Manager

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary and Bonuses are excellent if you can achieve very challenging targets. Excellent personnel support and well designed training structure. If you enjoy structure, can follow all, sometimes conflicting focuses from Area Managers, Auditors, Mystery Shoppers, Marketing etc without question, and can cope with hours budgets being slashed without notice, discussion or reasoning, then this is the challenging environment...

Cons

Difficult to achieve work-life balance. Hours budget is incredibly strictly controlled, with daily emails if it looks like you are going to overspend by even 1 hour that week, and Area Managers usually phoning you also, which is highly distracting. Company has very tight control on Head Office costs, which results in errors and waste of money in terms of marketing, which can be frustrating due to the above hours focus....

Advice to Management

Pressure on Pub Managers is reaching critical levels. Hours budgets are tight already, be sure to be open to discussion and involve the Pub Managers, as sweeping cuts are making us consider our options.

J D Wetherspoon2016-05-14

May 16, 2016Recruitment & Training Systems Manager

Thank you for your comments. Working smarter is a key focus, you're right - support and clarity on how we can do this is key, so that it does not have that detrimental effect you mention. One for further debate this week and on-going certainly.

• "Excellent Career Possibilities..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bath, England

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

- Reasonable Pay and Bonuses for pub work. - On the job & e-learning. - A rapid promotion ladder. - Easy to transfer to new location. - Flexible working and part/time work. - Free Shares for working. - Online discounts. - Very sociable and fun work. - Supportive managers. - Senior Managers who know you by name. - Challenging for the ambitious.

Cons

- Poor Work/life balance. - Long shifts, long hours. - Too much red-tape and paperwork. - Repetative tasks. - Severe lack of praise and feedback. - Hard to Suceed/Easy to fail culture. - Unrealistic timeframes/work load. - 'Profits before people' attitude. - Must be 'thick-skinned'/ outgoing to survive the verbal abuse you can (and will regularly) receive from drunken customers.

Advice to Management

Not all pubs are the same - individual input from each pub matters. A fixation on saving hours leads to unmotivated/tired staff and dissuades hiring of new employees and limits time in training the next generation of managers.

J D Wetherspoon2016-05-01

May 3, 2016Recruitment & Training Systems Manager

Thank you for your helpful review, we will explore your points further.

• "When you sign the contract, you sell your soul!"

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Ripley, East Midlands, England
      No Opinion of CEO

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Learn skills like customer service, cash handling and time management Can make good friends Pay is decent, get discounted meals Training courses and workshops are good (if you actually go on them!)

Cons

J D Wetherspoon is a company that looks great on paper - good pay, bonus scheme, training, progression within, and promise of a work-life balance. In reality, just about NONE of this happens. Yes the pay is decent compared to other companies but it's not enough to deal with the stress, back-stabbing and general lack of direction. As a bar associate (at this particular pub) you get minimal training and then customers...

Advice to Management

actually TRAIN people. (giving someone a tour of the pub and a till key doesn't count) save hours in the week instead of standing around chatting then it won't be a game of cutting hours at the weekend

J D Wetherspoon2016-03-15
    • "Manager"

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

Bonus easy of shifts to swop

Cons

Loyalty, pay, ethics , training work life balance

Advice to Management

Care about employees

J D Wetherspoon2016-02-06

February 8, 2016Senior Recruitment & Training Manager

• "Shift leader"

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Peterlee, England

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great working with people, training is good, good chances of progression and I really enjoy my job

Cons

Salary compatible to competitors is less, poor work life balance, no incentive working bank holidays, feel replaceable

Advice to Management

Make staff feel more valued, offer more competitive salary. Offer double time on bank holidays.

J D Wetherspoon2016-01-09

January 11, 2016Senior Recruitment & Training Manager

Thanks for your comments. I'm really pleased you enjoy your job and I also note your feedback on how we could improve. We do think our pay is competitive and we endeavour to provide a good work/life balance - if these things aren't happening in your pub, please speak to your AM

Found 1184 reviews