J D Wetherspoon "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

J D Wetherspoon CEO John Hutson
John Hutson
  1. "Shift manager"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time

Pros

It really focuses on the law and training staff correctly. Hygiene and compliance standards are very good. Great management training programme.

Cons

Contracted management don't get paid enough for the amount of stress and hours we are subjected to. Hard to find a work/life balance especially when you have children. they seem to care about profit more than anything which leads to neglecting other parts of the business, which then effects profit.

Advice to Management

If you cared more about staff, the staff would care more about the business and the profit would look after itself.

J D Wetherspoon2016-01-10

J D Wetherspoon Response

January 11, 2016Senior Recruitment & Training Manager

Thanks for leaving a review. We are always keen to get feedback on how we can improve - if you are having specific issues then please raise them directly with your Area managers so we can address them.

2. "MKULTRA"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

Nothing.Nil. Zero. Sweet F.A. Zippidy.

Cons

Constant bullying, misogynistic and sexist. No work life balance. STUDIES RUINED due to constant adjustments to the rotas, without any notification in practically all instances. This tactic was often used by management to force staff members to resign. Feedback from management seldom constructive. A destructive workplace.

Advice to Management

Liquidise.

J D Wetherspoon2015-07-08
  3. "kitchen manager"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

secure job with good salary

Cons

work/life balance, very clicky work enviroment

J D Wetherspoon2015-04-13
  4. "Career defining progression and skills development"

Former Employee - Pub Manager

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Training, coaching and support are all first class. Demands are hard, but that is the nature of the hospitality industry.

Cons

Long hours, long weeks. Targeting work-life balance would give better retention and superior commitment.

Advice to Management

Long term, personalised progression plans - generic ones are available, but once you reach Unit Management level, progression choices and development options dry up if you don't want to be an Area Manager.

J D Wetherspoon2014-10-31

"Worst Employment Experience Ever"

Former Employee - Duty Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at J D Wetherspoon full-time for more than a year

Pros

I met many fantastic people and made loads of new friends. A free meal every day, even if it wasn't always very healthy, came in handy. I got lots of excercise because I was required to be on my feet 10+ hours a day.

Cons

Where to start? I was hired with a promise of work/life balance. Contracted for 48 hours, I more than often worked between 52-55. I was told I would always have two days off together each week. This rarely happened and really only did when I requested it. If I brought this up to the pub manager, I was scoffed at as if I wasn't tough enough to handle the job. Most weeks I had to close one night, leaving around 2am. I would...

Advice to Management

Stop trying to profit too quickly. Having more pubs is not going to increase the company line as much as having exceptional product and staff. Treat your staff better. Prepare your rotas more than a couple of days in advance. Pub managers: if staff call in sick, stay behind and do some of the hard work. It should not all be placed on the shoulders of your duty managers. Finally, stop being so condescending. Hire educated...

J D Wetherspoon2014-11-11