J Sainsbury Customer Service Assistant Convenience Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3
J Sainsbury CEO Mike Coupe
Mike Coupe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Best environment to work and company is very helpful towards it's colleagues (in 41 reviews)

• Fairly good pay for retail work (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Team Leaders can be given a lot more responsibility than managers which can be a bit draining but you learn so much about management (in 76 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be difficult at times (in 29 reviews)

1. "Working with a family"

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount card after 6 months with the company gets you 10% off year-round with a bonus 20% and 15% discounts at Christmas, Halloween, Easter etc.

I was in a local store so I don't know if these things happen in a larger store but I was given the ability to transfer stores. My manager just emailed some stores in the city where I was moving to uni and got it sorted for me. I was also offered multiple opportunities to train to become a store lead, or work in the bakery etc.

The store leads were generally friendly and worked on the shop floor with us, which having read some reviews, seems rare. Even the 2 store managers I had were happy to work on the tills if necessary.

I was followed home twice (I finished at midnight), which was terrifying and after telling the manager he immediately changed my shift to an early morning one. If you ask, you'll get all the help you need, that goes for working in store too.

All in all, I actually looked forward to going to work most of the time. Considering I ended up working on Christmas eve, boxing day, new years eve and new years day and didn't mind all that much, I'd say that was something special.

Cons

The only real cons were how understaffed the store got in the summer and at Christmas. The store relied on students to work a lot and so when the holidays came around many of the colleagues went home and suddenly the rest of us had to put in loads of overtime. Obviously if you want the overtime then it's great, but often to save money the store wouldn't offer any and instead you'd be really busy all shift.

Lastly, this was only a problem with the second store I worked in, but I was left to work the till for my full 8 hour shift (obviously with my 30 min break in the middle), but I kind of never got the opportunity to do anything else.

Advice to Management

Try and rotate the staff around the store so they don't get stuck doing the same thing all the time, especially since the convenience staff are trained for most things.

2. "Nothing special"

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience in London, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience in London, England

Pros

Decent and equal pay, flexible (ish) hours, 12 hour minimum contract, overtime available, decent holiday, possible bonus, 10% discount- including argos and 20% at habitat, some benefits, toilets good place to cry

Cons

3 sick days allowed per year, bonuses revoked if more than 3 sick days are taken in one year, little to no choice when booking holiday, risk of injury, no support should injury happen, only treated fairly if well liked by staff, customers can be brutal, sexism everywhere all the time, not a very good job.

Advice to Management

Support employees, make it clear they are all equal, don't let them get hurt

3. "Working at a Sainsbury's Convenience Store (Sainsbury's Local)"

Former Employee - Convenience Customer Service Assistant in York, England
    Former Employee - Convenience Customer Service Assistant in York, England

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Same shifts every week so easy to plan the year
    Fairly good pay for retail work
    Holiday's good
    Free uniform

Cons

Repetitive, do the same every shift
    Some bad customers
    Hard to progress
    Hard to get a store transfer

"Degrading job- Do NOT work here if you want to be valued."

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience in Chester, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience in Chester, England

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable pay
    Discount in Sainsbury's and Argos
    Nice to talk to regulars

Cons

If your not in the 'clique' you don't get valued
    If your looking for a job where its one rule for one- -one rule for another then Sainsbury's is the place for you!!
    I enjoyed interacting with customers on a daily basis, more than certain colleagues (management)
    For a part time job it should not have been as stressful as it was made.

Advice to Management

Listen to colleagues who actually work on the shop floor as they understand customers needs.
    Don't promote the wrong people
    Try boost employees moral, this could lead to the team wanting to help you out with favours and tasks.

6. "Great for students, not so much as a career"

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience

I have been working at J Sainsbury full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great for holidays, and for moving your shifts if your part-time students

Cons

Trying to survive on the wages as a full time colleague is hard

7. "Sainsbury's Review"

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience in London, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience in London, England

Pros

-good pay
    -nice environment to work in

Cons

-a lot of overtime
    -long application process

8. "It is a good part time job. I couldn't have worked in that capacity permanently and full time."

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience in Aberdeen, Scotland
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is plenty to do. Though once it is done there is plenty more things to do cleaning shelves etc. If you're active time passes quickly.

Cons

The work is so repetitive. Every aspect is so repetitive.

Advice to Management

Do more company night outs. Make it a more fun place to come to work. Make it a team environment and it won't be so boring.

9. "Ware Herts"

Current Contractor - Customer Service Assistant Convenience in Ware, England
    Current Contractor - Customer Service Assistant Convenience in Ware, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible in our store

Cons

Jobs need to be equally shared

Advice to Management

Rotate staff more

"Customer service assistant at Sainsbury's"

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience in Southampton, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience of great customer service, many employees benefits and rewards, friendly colleagues

Cons

No sponsorship for international workers, hours flexibility is not great

Advice to Management

Improve training on the shop floor, better self scan machines, updaye payment systems to include contactless

"fresh cages in 30 min are they crazy?"

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience in Wimbledon, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience in Wimbledon, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury full-time

Pros

i work for sainsbury full time and my manager want to work fresh cages in 20 min with a 50 box at least to do! Crazy people!

Cons

Collegue not talk on the back about you, but if you have a problem come and talk with me!

Advice to Management

Managment it's ok but could be better, i worked in the past with better manager!