J Sainsbury Customer Service Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.4
J Sainsbury CEO Mike Coupe
Mike Coupe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Best environment to work and company is very helpful towards it's colleagues (in 41 reviews)

• Fairly good pay for retail work (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Team Leaders can be given a lot more responsibility than managers which can be a bit draining but you learn so much about management (in 75 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be difficult at times (in 28 reviews)

1. "Customer Service Assistant"

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fixed Contract, rarely was called in to cover staff member

Cons

My manager was difficult to work with and many people agreed. Not very accomodating towards students

Advice to Management

Keep a closer eye on department managers because they were overwhelming disliked

2. "Customer Service Assistant Part Time"

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible; worked for the company during university and was able to transfer back and forth between different stores to maximise working time.

Mostly good management, with good motivators and managers who understood staff needs.

Can be a positive working environment which was assisted massively by good management.

Cons

Some management failed to communicate effectively with staff, which could lead to a negative working environment, and additionally led to scheduling problems.

Advice to Management

Encourage more direct staff feedback rather than a long, strenuous online feedback form.

3. "A good Experience"

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant

I have been working at J Sainsbury full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting Customers, plenty of opportunities to be promoted within the company ranks, and you gain new responsibilities quickly, you can also help other departments sometimes or even work contracted hours in multiple departments to make the experience varied.

Cons

Biggest con; LACK OF COMMUNICATION between other colleagues and even management.

Also, the schedules are almost never organised properly so unless you say something to your team leader, you will almost always have no one to cover you and you'll end up staying 15-30 minutes after you were meant to finish (plus you don't get paid for it)

Advice to Management

Communication and organisation are the biggest 2 things you need to work on, other than that, all is good.

5. "It seemed good at first, very helpful at induction and training, but less so when you start properly."

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant (Checkouts)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant (Checkouts)

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is slightly above minimum wage.
    Fixed contracted hours with many opportunities for overtime.
    Discount card after a few months.
    Some team leaders are lovely (but not all).

Cons

Training on the checkouts is quite brief, you learn the more complicated things while actually doing it, when your all alone with an actual customer. But some team leaders expect you to know everything. It can take months to learn everything as you might not have been asked for that specific thing until that time.
    It can be extremely difficult to get a team leader to come over and help, as the button never seems to do anything and sometimes they are not there and sometimes you have to shout the length of the store to get their attention. Customers can take their frustration then out on you.

Advice to Management

Make sure these buttons actually work (do the team leaders even look?)
    Choose team leaders more wisely
    Support staff more when it comes to difficult customers.
    When contracts ends, make sure the manager talks to the employee not the supervisor/team leader who hasn't got a clue. Very unprofessional.

6. "Working with a family"

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount card after 6 months with the company gets you 10% off year-round with a bonus 20% and 15% discounts at Christmas, Halloween, Easter etc.

I was in a local store so I don't know if these things happen in a larger store but I was given the ability to transfer stores. My manager just emailed some stores in the city where I was moving to uni and got it sorted for me. I was also offered multiple opportunities to train to become a store lead, or work in the bakery etc.

The store leads were generally friendly and worked on the shop floor with us, which having read some reviews, seems rare. Even the 2 store managers I had were happy to work on the tills if necessary.

I was followed home twice (I finished at midnight), which was terrifying and after telling the manager he immediately changed my shift to an early morning one. If you ask, you'll get all the help you need, that goes for working in store too.

All in all, I actually looked forward to going to work most of the time. Considering I ended up working on Christmas eve, boxing day, new years eve and new years day and didn't mind all that much, I'd say that was something special.

Cons

The only real cons were how understaffed the store got in the summer and at Christmas. The store relied on students to work a lot and so when the holidays came around many of the colleagues went home and suddenly the rest of us had to put in loads of overtime. Obviously if you want the overtime then it's great, but often to save money the store wouldn't offer any and instead you'd be really busy all shift.

Lastly, this was only a problem with the second store I worked in, but I was left to work the till for my full 8 hour shift (obviously with my 30 min break in the middle), but I kind of never got the opportunity to do anything else.

Advice to Management

Try and rotate the staff around the store so they don't get stuck doing the same thing all the time, especially since the convenience staff are trained for most things.

7. "Fair and stable work at Sainsbury's"

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in East Grinstead, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in East Grinstead, England

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always get paid on time. Know exactly what your responsibilities are. Co-workers are all friendly.

Cons

Can be dull sometimes. Some customers can be rude to staff.

Advice to Management

Continue as now.

8. "I worked in a convenience store"

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Preston, North West England, England

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, great out of work initiatives and training - the company conducts fun and beneficial induction and engagement days, with tons of emphasis on team work and bonding :) I miss wokring here!

Cons

Long shifts in the evening can be boring as the shop runs out of tasks to be done

Advice to Management

none

9. "Lack of Respect in staff and management"

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Solihull, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Solihull, England

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount card 10% off sainsburys 6 weeks of the year it would rise to 15%. Discount at Argos and habitat (10%). Pay is £7.62 p/hour for a 19 year old.

Cons

Lack of respect from management and all staff were very cliquey which was not a nice environment to work in. Didn't receive any staff benefits until at least working there for 6 months and sick pay you didn't receive unless you are off for 3 days or more.

Advice to Management

Teach managers and staff to have some respect and show it to other colleagues as it made it hard for me to even work my contracted hours let alone help out when there's overtime available.

10. "Good part time job"

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good company to work for
    opportunities to progress

Cons

cuts to hours happen often and shifts are noticeably harder

11. "Very poor place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Aberdeen, Scotland
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hourly rate was acceptable for a student

Cons

Poor man management. My contract was terminated without my knowing during a career break. This was due to the fact that my career break was not put through. As a result when a new manager came in, my contract was non-existent leaving me out of work on my return of my career break

Advice to Management

Spend more time with store manager traineing, as it clearly does not work currently