J Sainsbury Online Shopper Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Online Shopper

J Sainsbury CEO Mike Coupe
Mike Coupe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good pay nice colleagues can be a great place to work (in 131 reviews)

• Benefits staff discount cards nectar card coupons nectar balance (in 89 reviews)

Cons
  • poor work life balance standard rate (in 37 reviews)

• Staff get away with saying a lot of bigoted stuff (including the line managers/team leaders) which can feel quite alienating if you're not a bigot (in 89 reviews)

1. "Fairly good"

Former Employee - Online Shopper in Sheffield, England
    Former Employee - Online Shopper in Sheffield, England

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training, good pay and friendly staff

Cons

Management think they know everything and sit on their phones not working but if we even have a check on the time on ours we get a warning.

Advice to Management

Practice where you preach and make rules a common thing for everyone.

2. "Worst job ever"

Current Employee - Groceries Online Shopper
    Current Employee - Groceries Online Shopper

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time

Pros

Can have earphones in during hours shop is closed.

Cons

Starts at 4am which affects the rest of the day and means you barely get anytime with family/partner if they work a 9-5.

Don't get a premium for working unsociable hours, we earn the same as day staff.

Unrealistic targets - really old handsets with constant problems means IPH is frequently just not possible, but management don't take this into account.

Patronising management/team leaders - threatened with 'we can see everything you do', constantly belittled for not picking fast enough, called back for stupid things like shopping being slightly over tote whch would be quicker to just fix themselves. Always talk to online shoppers like they're stupid.

Unappreciative managers - get told you're doing overtime 10 mins before end of shift without being told a time you'll be done, don't even get a thanks at the end of it.

Rubbish breaks - worked over 9 hours with only a 10 minute break because they wouldn't tell in advance how long overtime would be.

Bad health and safety - when the shop is closed everyone leaves crates, boxes, bits of plastic, spilt milk etc everywhere so you're constantly tripping up.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff!! Lower IPH or fix problems staff tell you about, especially those who have been there for years. Stop patronising non-management staff.

Tiring and boring- Totes when full are really heavy and it damages your back to twist them around corners of aisles (which you have to do to hit IPH). You just pick up an item, scan it and put it in a box for 4/6 hours straight which is mindnumbing.

3. "Online shopper"

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time

Pros

You got to know the store. And see new products.

Cons

Management are rude.
    Pushy.
    Unrealistic IPHs
    Managment spread your private matters with the team.
    They dont care about staff well fare.
    Get sworn at infront of customers and other staff.

Advice to Management

Learn people managment skills.

5. "views about the company"

Current Employee - Groceries Online Shopper in Newbury, England
    Current Employee - Groceries Online Shopper in Newbury, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff to work with and very friendly environment :-)

Cons

I dont have any negative comments for the company

6. "worked twice for 6 months at sainsburys as online shopper and one of the worst jobs ever done"

Current Employee - Groceries Online Shopper in London, England
    Current Employee - Groceries Online Shopper in London, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (More than a year)

Pros

can't think of any to be honest...well, lets say, they give you a good uniform kit to look better for their company

Cons

a lot of them
    worst working environment as online shopper
    team leaders pretend to be unaware of facts and want you work unrealistic targets such as picking of items per hour.
    worst job timing, you have to start working at 4am, right in the middle of the night
    no night premium with very basic pay
    no breaks in four hours after pushing that trolley and if you stop scanning for even 3 minutes, the team leader comes running to you that what is wrong.
    never get holidays when you want them and they will mostly allocate them according to their convenience
    worst hr departments in stores, can't look after your pays and wage queries, sometime your arrears keep dragging for months.
    you get your discount card after long time of joining the job
    target of picking items should be different for different departments but team leaders come running to you if you fail to pick a huge number of items per hour even picking them from difficult departments like cigarettes, flowers, frozen and accessories
    uneven floor where i work and sometime picking trolleys need a lot of control by stretching your body and management don't care about that

Advice to Management

they have to listen their employees...no team briefings at all

7. "Worked as an Online Shopper between my Uni studies"

Former Employee - Online Shopper
    Former Employee - Online Shopper

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good job experience. Other employers seem to appreciate work experience at Sainsbury's.
    - Reasonable interview process. Less than 2hrs. Easy questions. A tour of where you would work, which is nice, because you can see if you think it's right for you.
    - Pretty flexible hours.

Cons

- Some managers can be patronising, although the majority were not, and were really friendly. Guess it's like that most places really.

8. "Online Shopper - A very Lonely Job"

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time

Pros

- Decent Pay.
    - For part-time the four-hour shift goes by very quickly.

Cons

- Very focused on targets and numbers, you are pressured if you do not meet them.
    - Because everybody is so focused on reaching targets, NOBODY talks, its very lonely on the shop floor, especially considering you work while the store is closed to the public.
    - 4am start - very unsociable, has a knock on effect for the rest of the day, I was unable to keep up with my studying etc.
    - Began to feel very unhappy in the job as it meant me going to bed really early, as early as 8:30 pm, waking up at 3:00 am, this meant I barely got to spend time with my family as when I was at home during the day, they were at work and school, I began to lack human social interaction. It got to the extreme that I went about 48 hours without seeing my mother despite us both living in the same house.
    - When I attempted to leave the role about three weeks after I had started, (YES I KNOW THAT WAS A VERY SHORT WHILE, BUT WHEN A JOB MAKES YOU AS UNHAPPY AS I WAS, POSSIBLY SLIPPING INTO DEPRESSION, NO AMOUNT OF MONEY IS WORTH IT), I was met with rude and apathetic managers who made no effort to understand my reasons for leaving, despite me trying to explain that the job was impacting my life in a very negative way.

Advice to Management

Little bit more empathy, please.
    Fully enclose the possible impacts the job could have, not just state the hours on the vacancies.
    Focus less on targets; it makes the job VERY stressful, and unenjoyable.
    Encourage discussion between colleagues.

9. "Ok for part time"

Former Employee - Online Shopper in Peterborough, England
    Former Employee - Online Shopper in Peterborough, England

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy, Flexible and great for a part-time job if you are at University.

Cons

Unreliable staff and lack of organisation

Advice to Management

Needs better organising

10. "Job is easy going and not too stressful"

Current Employee - Online Shopper in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Current Employee - Online Shopper in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Early start - starting at 4am and finishing at 8am, you don’t have to deal with customers and get to have the full day to yourself

Progression - always get offers to be trained on other departments so more overtime opportunities available

Overtime - usually, there is a fair amount of overtime on the online department

Cons

Early start - starting work 4am can be a struggle some days, especially after a rough nights sleep

Overtime - during periods where there’s not much work (eg summer holidays) where the kids are at school and there’s no students, you’ll be getting a flat wage of around £600

Management - could just be my experience, but managers from other department seem to have a hatred towards online shoppers, always finding something to complain about

11. "Temporary Part time work - really good employer"

Former Employee - Groceries Online Shopper in Lancaster, England
    Former Employee - Groceries Online Shopper in Lancaster, England

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training and management were spot on . Interview process pleasant. Contact with HR really good. My job role was online shopper, really enjoyed this position.

Cons

Not much personal development or contact. While I was there they introduced a new way of doing shifts/overtime managing and it meant you couldn't pick it up casually, you had to put your availability and were held to it when overtime was available.