J Sainsbury Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

J Sainsbury CEO Mike Coupe
Mike Coupe

1,526 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Best environment to work and company is very helpful towards it's colleagues (in 39 reviews)

• Fairly good pay for retail work (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Team Leaders can be given a lot more responsibility than managers which can be a bit draining but you learn so much about management (in 72 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be difficult at times (in 28 reviews)

1. "Ok for Retail"

Former Employee - Counter Clerk in Gravesend, England
    Former Employee - Counter Clerk in Gravesend, England

I worked at J Sainsbury (More than a year)

Pros

Decent hourly wage
    Good training and opportunities for overtime
    I had a nice manager

Cons

Some managers treat staff poorly
    long shifts at unsociable hours

Advice to Management

Some managers are nice but others need to learn how to speak to people professionally.

2. "General Assistant"

Current Employee - General Assistant in Devizes, England
    Current Employee - General Assistant in Devizes, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My working hours fit around school.

Cons

They hourly rate for U18's is lower than other supermarkets.

3. "Temporary Part time work - really good employer"

Former Employee - Groceries Online Shopper in Lancaster, England
    Former Employee - Groceries Online Shopper in Lancaster, England

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training and management were spot on . Interview process pleasant. Contact with HR really good. My job role was online shopper, really enjoyed this position.

Cons

Not much personal development or contact. While I was there they introduced a new way of doing shifts/overtime managing and it meant you couldn't pick it up casually, you had to put your availability and were held to it when overtime was available.

5. "Best Company"

Current Employee - General Assistant in Staines, England
    Current Employee - General Assistant in Staines, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good company to work with. Easy work and enjoy dealing with customers even dealt with difficult ones which helps me to gain invaluable skills for my career. The staff there are nice and friendly and the salary is fair. Also great 10% discount Sainsbury's and Argos! Occasionally, like during the Christmas season, you can get a 15% discount off too. :)

Cons

Cant think of any. Anyone in these reviews who complain about discount or salary are very worst disgraceful people :')

6. "Customer asistant"

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Neston, North West England, England
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Neston, North West England, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and training, friendly atmosphere other job opportunities within the store

Cons

The only thing I would say is the hrs

Advice to Management

Every member of staff should do at least one late night

7. "Versatile working schedules, friendly environment to work in."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, England

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many staff members work part time around personal lifestyles and further hours were available to those who wanted extra money. The environment was comfortable to work in, there were lots of training sessions to keep updated with regulations and company expectations. Most managers were supportive and easy to get along with and if you worked the long enough, there were opportunities to develop and progress within the business.

Cons

The movement of branch and department managers on a regular basis meant that there was no continuity. I felt that the training in a specific area was wasted. I worked in the clothing dept and team leaders and managers who were paid to travel afield to gain expert advice was then moved to serve other areas such as frozen foods or raw meats counter seemed like a total waste of training and ability, but I guess that could be down to the individual.

Advice to Management

During the time I was there, I did feel that the team wasn't equal. Staff who had been there longer would pursue all the main responsibilities and leave others who didn't have much say to deal with the rest. It also meant that if those people were then on holiday, it made it pretty difficult for the rest of the team who didn't have any experience because they were not given the opportunity, to no fault of their own.

8. "Sainsbury's"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The working environment - they allow to get on with your work.

Progression - Sainsbury's care about your career progression and managers will help you if asked to.

Salary - is good for the current market.

Cons

The length of contracts provided. I have worked over 18 months and my contract hasn't turned in full time contract.

9. "My time at Sainsbury's"

I worked at J Sainsbury full-time

Pros

Very good work environment decent pay and a safe work environment also management is very helpful when it comes to understanding.

Cons

It is gets cold sometimes.

Advice to Management

Always try and understand the other person.

10. "Good flexible company"

Current Employee - Checkout Captain in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Checkout Captain in Leeds, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice team
    Overall lovely place to work

Cons

Some of the Management team are a little reluctant to help out front

11. "Working with a family"

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount card after 6 months with the company gets you 10% off year-round with a bonus 20% and 15% discounts at Christmas, Halloween, Easter etc.

I was in a local store so I don't know if these things happen in a larger store but I was given the ability to transfer stores. My manager just emailed some stores in the city where I was moving to uni and got it sorted for me. I was also offered multiple opportunities to train to become a store lead, or work in the bakery etc.

The store leads were generally friendly and worked on the shop floor with us, which having read some reviews, seems rare. Even the 2 store managers I had were happy to work on the tills if necessary.

I was followed home twice (I finished at midnight), which was terrifying and after telling the manager he immediately changed my shift to an early morning one. If you ask, you'll get all the help you need, that goes for working in store too.

All in all, I actually looked forward to going to work most of the time. Considering I ended up working on Christmas eve, boxing day, new years eve and new years day and didn't mind all that much, I'd say that was something special.

Cons

The only real cons were how understaffed the store got in the summer and at Christmas. The store relied on students to work a lot and so when the holidays came around many of the colleagues went home and suddenly the rest of us had to put in loads of overtime. Obviously if you want the overtime then it's great, but often to save money the store wouldn't offer any and instead you'd be really busy all shift.

Lastly, this was only a problem with the second store I worked in, but I was left to work the till for my full 8 hour shift (obviously with my 30 min break in the middle), but I kind of never got the opportunity to do anything else.

Advice to Management

Try and rotate the staff around the store so they don't get stuck doing the same thing all the time, especially since the convenience staff are trained for most things.

Showing 1,526 of 1,552 reviews