J Sainsbury Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

1,578 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,578 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Best environment to work and company is very helpful towards it's colleagues (in 41 reviews)

• Fairly good pay for retail work (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Team Leaders can be given a lot more responsibility than managers which can be a bit draining but you learn so much about management (in 75 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be difficult at times (in 28 reviews)

1. "It seemed good at first, very helpful at induction and training, but less so when you start properly."

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant (Checkouts)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant (Checkouts)

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is slightly above minimum wage.
    Fixed contracted hours with many opportunities for overtime.
    Discount card after a few months.
    Some team leaders are lovely (but not all).

Cons

Training on the checkouts is quite brief, you learn the more complicated things while actually doing it, when your all alone with an actual customer. But some team leaders expect you to know everything. It can take months to learn everything as you might not have been asked for that specific thing until that time.
    It can be extremely difficult to get a team leader to come over and help, as the button never seems to do anything and sometimes they are not there and sometimes you have to shout the length of the store to get their attention. Customers can take their frustration then out on you.

Advice to Management

Make sure these buttons actually work (do the team leaders even look?)
    Choose team leaders more wisely
    Support staff more when it comes to difficult customers.
    When contracts ends, make sure the manager talks to the employee not the supervisor/team leader who hasn't got a clue. Very unprofessional.

2. "Sainsbury's"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The working environment - they allow to get on with your work.

Progression - Sainsbury's care about your career progression and managers will help you if asked to.

Salary - is good for the current market.

Cons

The length of contracts provided. I have worked over 18 months and my contract hasn't turned in full time contract.

3. "Good part-time job for uni students"

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time

Pros

Solid job for any university student

Cons

Its a retail job so holiday periods can be unruly.

5. "Average."

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in London, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in London, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Over £8 an hour and lots of overtime available. The staff are very friendly once you get past their "friendship circles" & the supervisors and managers are easy to get along with.

Cons

The managers and supervisors obviously have their favourites. Be prepared to be moved from the tills to doing deliveries to putting out stock. Depending on how long you work - it's long & gruelling.

Advice to Management

Give more training to the new staff & make sure that they feel comfortable where they're working.

6. "Very difficult colleagues"

Current Employee - General Assistant in Ladbroke, England
    Current Employee - General Assistant in Ladbroke, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good flexibility, good colleagues and excellent skiving opportunities

Cons

Poor pay. Poor colleagues. Poor teamwork and management. Really panicking management.

Advice to Management

Stop panicking. Be reasonable with colleagues because accidents happen.

7. "My time at Sainsbury's"

I worked at J Sainsbury full-time

Pros

Very good work environment decent pay and a safe work environment also management is very helpful when it comes to understanding.

Cons

It is gets cold sometimes.

Advice to Management

Always try and understand the other person.

8. "Good flexible company"

Current Employee - Checkout Captain in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Checkout Captain in Leeds, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice team
    Overall lovely place to work

Cons

Some of the Management team are a little reluctant to help out front

9. "Working with a family"

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant Convenience

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount card after 6 months with the company gets you 10% off year-round with a bonus 20% and 15% discounts at Christmas, Halloween, Easter etc.

I was in a local store so I don't know if these things happen in a larger store but I was given the ability to transfer stores. My manager just emailed some stores in the city where I was moving to uni and got it sorted for me. I was also offered multiple opportunities to train to become a store lead, or work in the bakery etc.

The store leads were generally friendly and worked on the shop floor with us, which having read some reviews, seems rare. Even the 2 store managers I had were happy to work on the tills if necessary.

I was followed home twice (I finished at midnight), which was terrifying and after telling the manager he immediately changed my shift to an early morning one. If you ask, you'll get all the help you need, that goes for working in store too.

All in all, I actually looked forward to going to work most of the time. Considering I ended up working on Christmas eve, boxing day, new years eve and new years day and didn't mind all that much, I'd say that was something special.

Cons

The only real cons were how understaffed the store got in the summer and at Christmas. The store relied on students to work a lot and so when the holidays came around many of the colleagues went home and suddenly the rest of us had to put in loads of overtime. Obviously if you want the overtime then it's great, but often to save money the store wouldn't offer any and instead you'd be really busy all shift.

Lastly, this was only a problem with the second store I worked in, but I was left to work the till for my full 8 hour shift (obviously with my 30 min break in the middle), but I kind of never got the opportunity to do anything else.

Advice to Management

Try and rotate the staff around the store so they don't get stuck doing the same thing all the time, especially since the convenience staff are trained for most things.

10. "Versatile working schedules, friendly environment to work in."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, England

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many staff members work part time around personal lifestyles and further hours were available to those who wanted extra money. The environment was comfortable to work in, there were lots of training sessions to keep updated with regulations and company expectations. Most managers were supportive and easy to get along with and if you worked the long enough, there were opportunities to develop and progress within the business.

Cons

The movement of branch and department managers on a regular basis meant that there was no continuity. I felt that the training in a specific area was wasted. I worked in the clothing dept and team leaders and managers who were paid to travel afield to gain expert advice was then moved to serve other areas such as frozen foods or raw meats counter seemed like a total waste of training and ability, but I guess that could be down to the individual.

Advice to Management

During the time I was there, I did feel that the team wasn't equal. Staff who had been there longer would pursue all the main responsibilities and leave others who didn't have much say to deal with the rest. It also meant that if those people were then on holiday, it made it pretty difficult for the rest of the team who didn't have any experience because they were not given the opportunity, to no fault of their own.

11. "Some Good Bits But Mainly Bad"

Current Employee - Assistant
    Current Employee - Assistant

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good people to work with
    Decent wages if work later than 2pm

Cons

Bad Colleagues
    Not allowed smoking breaks when store closed
    Bad Policies
    Bad wages for evenings

Advice to Management

Get yourself some Supervisors who know what they're doing.
    Remove/change some policies.
    Pay better wages for evenings, not just nights.

Showing 1,578 of 1,605 reviews