Jagex Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Phil Mansell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Other benefits such as free fruit" (in 12 reviews)

• "The majority of the staff are nice people and you will make friends easily enough" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Terrible HR and senior management" (in 14 reviews)

• "Little to no career development or training opportunities" (in 7 reviews)

"Growth and change.. this company is going places"

I have been working at Jagex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture shift where leadership is deeply interested in personal growth and opportunity. I wasn't here when it was bad a few years ago, but the current trajectory is overwhelmingly positive.

New products under development with just the right team structure. This has become a fast-paced and experimental dev cycle and the team is overwhelmingly happy.

Benefits galore. This is a great company to work for.

Across-team coordination and bottlenecks are identified, addressed, and mitigated. This company eats its own dogfood and then makes improvements where needed.

Cons

Some very weird decisions like licensing software that is inadequate.

Still some execute fear based on past performance. This seems to have been alleviated recently, but the past still haunts us a bit.

Advice to Management

The vision statements are great and they help the company stay on track. Adding a purpose might help too.

Focus more on success and stop being afraid of failure

Support the people you have better

"Good starting point in the games industry, but not somewhere to linger long"

I worked at Jagex full-time

Pros

- Great colleagues, relaxed atmosphere, beautiful office. I've made lifelong friends at Jagex. Most people are incredibly passionate about what they do.
    - A good place to 'get a foot in the door' in the gaming industry. It brings in newcomers and spits out highly-experienced industry veterans.
    - Some good perks, including an on-site canteen, free bike repair, extravagant parties, and private healthcare and dental. Maternity and paternity cover and holiday allowance received boosts recently!
    - Situated within beautiful Cambridge, within a short train of London.
    - The opportunity to work on projects outside of your remit.
    - Handsome bonuses.
    - Great grassroots efforts to improve gender representation and diversity.
    - Things look promising for mobile and OSRS!
    - The community can be amazing.

Cons

- Pay isn't great unless you're at the top, especially for Cambridge, which is an expensive city. Makes you wonder where those record profits go. Many would prefer they were used to increase baseline salaries rather than funnelled into unnecessarily lavish bi-annual parties, which in turn exacerbate an already harmful drinking culture. Nobody even uses the in-house pub they splashed out on!
    - Very little upward mobility. Expect to have difficulty progressing internally. Lots of empty promises too. This ties into my next point, but make sure everything you're offered is written down, so you don't spend months doing extra work to have the goalpost moved and ultimately removed.
    - Lazy management has been known to take advantage of some employees' enthusiasm, indefinitely palming off the responsibilities of those who leave onto existing employees without recognition or an end in sight.
    - Weird end of year grading system that *directly impacts* your bonus amount. A three is everything from 'satisfactory' to 'goes above and beyond'. Four is 'goes above and beyond all the time'. Five doesn't seem to exist. Sends the wrong message and adherence is inconsistent across the company.
    - Recently removed the ability to use alternate Thursdays for learning and other projects, though this is said to be returning in Jan. A similar initiative enabling employees from across the business to submit game ideas was also recently canned.
    - Some toxic departments, namely player support, localisation, and marketing. The former especially is run like a call centre. These employees are also exposed to some of the worst behaviours from disgruntled players. Highly stressful, not great for those concerned about their mental health. Latter is extremely disorganised.
    - On that note, the company pours out empty platitudes about positive mental health but often punishes those who are struggling because of it, causing them to spiral further.
    - Recruitment hasn't always had the best reputation, although hopefully this is improving. Stories about people going for months before hearing anything are quite common, even for internal applicants.
    - Appalling gender pay gap because there aren't many women in senior roles. Hopefully this will change.
    - Player community on social media can be extremely toxic, especially towards female jmods on streams. Mostly abuse or objectification (or both). This has led to many women not wanting to partake in streams anymore, which is a shame. The Live Events (formerly MTX) team especially gets a lot of hate, even threats.
    - Employees discouraged from publicly voicing opinions/ concerns on internal forums (described as derailing) and actively discouraged from comparing notes.
    - No truly healthy options in the canteen. 'Light' often means a smaller portion of something unhealthy.
    - While mostly excellent, some people can be gossipy, cliquey, and unkind.

Bottom line: the quality of your experience will be determined by the quality of your manager. There are some excellent ones and some awful ones who have no business managing other people. Make sure they're someone who's willing stand up for you when/if required.

Advice to Management

- Give managers and HR better training on how to deal with employees who struggle with mental health. They should be supported, not punished. Take a human approach.
    - Improve pay for those on the ground. Don't just say you will or claim to have done so (or 'reviewed' it), actually do it. You'll lose out on great talent.
    - Properly and immediately rehire when people leave. Don't palm off responsibilities. It leaves employees feeling as though you've taken advantage. They're people, not machines.
    - Rethink your end of year scoring system and reward those who put in extra work without compensation.
    - Improve opportunities for upwards mobility. Make sure everyone has a progression plan they're happy with, mandatory.
    - Recommence TAPP with revisions, or provide other avenues/outlets for morale-boosting creativity.
    - Provide support and training for those dealing with players directly.
    - Improve working conditions for player support.
    - Address instances where some employees' incompetence makes life more difficult for those they have to work with.

But mainly:

Read these reviews and turn them into actionable points for change!!! Good people are leaving, and it's only gonna get worse.

3. "Director"

I worked at Jagex full-time

Pros

Good management, great community, great perks

Cons

Has strategy but lacks vision and execution

Advice to Management

Focus on bringing in top quality talent

"The Home of Living Games"

I have been working at Jagex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having worked in the games industry with a number of high profile studios all over the world, I can honestly say Jagex has one of the best benefits structures around.

Whilst I cannot speak for everyone, I am very lucky to have the privilege of working alongside super talented, genuine and passionate people that I can learn from, lean on and be inspired by.

We place such a huge emphasis on well-being and charity, consistently smashing our personal bests in terms fundraising with the help of our amazing community.

We're all really excited about our future and have the privilege of extensive years of experience behind us, plus top industry talent joining us, to carry us forward into the third age of Jagex.

Amazing brand representation on a global scale.

An established Women at Jagex group meeting regularly to discuss any issues that affect women in games, as well as tactics to address diversity hires, including ways in which we can inspire the younger generation to consider a career in this amazing industry.

A true dedication to open comms and an encouraging cultural shift from 'we've always done it that way!' to 'how can we do it better?'

Cons

Internal communication platforms are all over the place - we need to take a serious look at improving our internal comms.

The overbearing sense of entitlement of certain individuals - and those that stay silent around them. Why are managers too afraid to call out inappropriate behaviour?

Questionable promotions and figures in high places, but times are changing and they are moving in the right direction.

But really, that's it. The overwhelmingly positive work environment is really hard to beat.

Advice to Management

As we continue to bring in high calibre talent, we need to reflect on our current org structure. Take a closer look - as we adapt and evolve to accommodate our strategy moving forward, who is resistant to change? Who is out of their depth? The true test - who would sink or swim in this industry if they were to ever leave?

5. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Game Designer in Cambridge, South West England, England
    Current Employee - Game Designer in Cambridge, South West England, England

I have been working at Jagex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Friendly staff
    * Good opportunities
    * Nice location

Cons

* Rushing projects
    * Lack of repeat success

Advice to Management

Give projects the time they need to achieve success. Focus on quality.

"Ghosts of the past are gone"

Current Employee - Technical Artist in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Technical Artist in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Jagex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

(Worked here from '10-'13, came back in '17.)
    Huge company-wide focus on mental health and combating workplace stress
    Stronger focus on training that before
    Tech demons are gone - the network and IT policies are much less of a hinderance
    Solid investment in software (especially middleware and third party tools)
    I've yet to encounter any politics of the past
    Great benefits (gym, private healthcare, dental, subsidized food, cycle repair)
    Basic holidays are up from 20 to 25 ( + bank holidays)
    Pay is much more competitive
    Love my job & the team I'm on

Cons

Still lacking clear 'career paths' in areas
    Still has a "Runescape-first" attitude in some departments
    No ability to work remotely, yet.
    Bit too much hierarchy (Junior/Middle/Senior/Lead/Associates/Directors (the list goes on)

Advice to Management

This place is 1000% better than what I experienced before (its why I came back). The people here are great and the cynicism has gone - everyone feels in safe hands and I see everyone trusting each other.
    There is, as always, room for improvement, though. I'd like to see a flatter structure in teams, more IT accountability and introducing some flexibility to work from home on occasion.

"Associate Producer"

Current Employee - Production Associate in Cambridge, South West England, England

I have been working at Jagex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Great work life balance
    * Company socials are amazing
    * Exciting projects to work on
    * Company emphasis on stress and wellbeing

Cons

* It's not in London

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, the company has been changing a lot and the direction its being led towards seems positive all round!

8. "Best Job Ever"

Former Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Jagex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job, people and work

Cons

Didn't move grand exchange

9. "Great family and perks"

Pros

Great bunch of friendly people
    Fun atmosphere
    Relaxed and chilled
    Good city
    Management top tier

Cons

Could be better paid
    Not enough games being made
    Old timers weighing the company down - some people are just not skilled enough for their role
    Career opportunities limited

Advice to Management

I haven't been there since new management has changed but I never had a problem.

"Good Ol’ Boys Club led by morally & ethically bankrupt people who do not value or act with integrity or professionalism"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Jagex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Nice, trendy and clean office to work in with decent equipment access
    - Free parking in Cambridge
    - Benefits are great (Pension Match, Private Med/Dental/ Life Insurance etc.)
    - Some wonderful, kind and talented people in the studio itself keeping the show on the road despite the poor leaders in the driving seat and lack of recognition or appreciation
    - The L&D area of the business is driving some positive change for employees

Cons

- The HR department is unstudied and being led by people who have no business to be in their positions. It is very much a ‘who you know’ not a ‘how good you are’ situation here.
    - This company is the epitome of a ‘Good Ol’ Boys Club’
    - The culture of this company will never change - it doesn’t need to for cash
    reasons. Only when the cash dries up (from all those business trips/parties…) will it be forced to make the actual changes it likes to say to sound good.
    - Talk of change is simply that. Talk.
    - The SMT is all male as of last year with no room or will to change.
    - The new CEO is not inspiring and not present
    - Too many layers of management & inflated job titles
    - This company is like the Wizard of Oz…you wouldn’t believe what goes on
    behind the curtain. It is backwards, disorganised and unprofessional. Like a college dorm.
    - There is no parity with the pay across the business, that's why positions do not advertise salaries publicly.
    - Gender Pay Gap Reporting came in at 21.7%. They made some statements on their website regarding their strategy to address this and make excuses for why it is the way it is.
    - A lot of bullying and intimidation in backrooms...especially if you challenge the wrong people in high positions.
    - Many decisions are made on the fly and not from a long term strategy or plan. Things can change weekly depending on a leaders mood.

Advice to Management

- Bring in some real professionals (management consultants) who will advise and coach the needed cultural changes and have credibility for their skills. Not just friends of someone else.
    - Train your managers. The majority have no HR training on how to manage people, document their meetings and coach their employees. This opens the company up to a lot of liability.
    - Get rid of the excess fat who are draining the cash under the guise of ‘hiring’ and put some measures in place to gauge how successful these exploits have been for the company in comparison to their costs to the business
    - If you preach ‘change’ then employees need to see you action that change and own it
    - Stop the 'Do as I say, not as I do' stuff
    - Accountability – there is none; especially from the SMT and up
    - This company is viewed as ‘fun’ but unfortunately with it's drinking culture reputation is not taken seriously
    - Managers are afraid to identify and manage weak employees with Performance Improvement Plans. Exit strategies are a valuable thing.
    - It’s a matter of time before the new Board starts asking questions and looking at the receipts for expenditure
    - Think about the messaging you're giving to the public when you allow employees to post photos of their 'professional' outings at bars and pubs sponsored by the company on their private social media accounts.
    - Don't advise hiring managers to hire women over men just because they are women. Not only is this illegal, it is wrong and morally repugnant
    - Exit interviews - it is best practice to do them for every employee not just who you choose - Basic HR Best Practice.
    - Consider if your hiring practices are really targeting a diverse arrangement of candidates...bars and social events in the late evenings tend to focus on one social group