Jagex Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2022

Found 227 of over 241 reviews

Jagex CEO Phil Mansell
Phil Mansell
Pros
  • "Jagex is a great employer who truly looks after its people(in 30 reviews)

• "Great benefits and lots of jollies(in 23 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Jagex has a studio culture matured for decades around supporting an already live game(in 31 reviews)

• "Jagex has a deep history of cancelling any project that isn't Runescape and just creating new ones for the sake of it(in 30 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Great company

Feb 3, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Beautiful new games in development - Publishing team is signing solid games - Advancement is available for those that are motivated and persistent - Brilliant work-from-home policies

Cons

- Culture of shared ownership obfuscates accountability - Processes lack rigor - Cambridge isn't London

Jagex Response

Thank you for your feedback! We really appreciate you taking the time to deliver detailed feedback to us. We are happy to hear that you are happy with the overall direction Jagex is heading in, and we will be looking into the concerns you have raised in order to improve our practices.

2. 2.0

Would not recommend

Jul 18, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Developers have ownership of the content released. Fully remote encouraged.

Cons

Rising targets and declining headcount adds immense stress and pressure to the teams. Since remote working has happened the team is feeling increasingly disjointed, any of the fun aspects of working together and launching features and celebrating is gone. Archaic tools and processes, people are scared of change and unwilling to improve or try new things. Shocking lack of senior management awareness to the day to say state of the products. They are completely absent.

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Bad company

Jul 14, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

easy job expectations are pretty low

Cons

pretty boring job toxic management and human resources company values are fake and not respected by the company itself

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

great

May 16, 2022 - Player Support Specialist in Cambridge, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

good benefits, nice, open, flexible

Cons

long hours, training hard, low pay

Jagex Response

Thank you for your feedback, we are glad to hear that on the whole you enjoyed your time at Jagex. We are always looking for ways to improve so we appreciate your advice to management, it will be looked into.

5. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

At the whim of the most recent Management manual

Jun 12, 2022 - Senior Engineer in Cambridge, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

£ £ £ - They pay

Cons

* The management strategies change so fast, they're shelved before implementation. No sooner have you discussed the practicalities and logistics of the change, it's shelved, as another book has been read, and another reorg is the flavour of the month. * One strategy for getting change agreed, was to have it proposed by the newest member of staff - more established employees are perceived as of lesser value. * Any good ideas need to be undertaken on your own time as unless you can sell the idea without a POC, it's not getting scheduled. * You're told, categorically and in writing to take breaks, take time off, manage your mental health - yet the pressure to produce, achieve, and do it all in a MEASURABLE way is so intense, as to necessitate working many more hours.

5 people found this review helpful

Jagex Response

We are sorry to hear that your time at Jagex is not meeting your expectations. If you would like to reach out to us internally to elaborate on the specifics of the issues you have been facing, please do so in the way you feel most comfortable.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Brilliant Company to work for....

May 3, 2022 - Sound Designer in Cambridge, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really leave you to your devices and entrust you with the work given. They give honest feedback and people who work there are lovely, supportive and friendly.

Cons

I joined during when it was remote work, so we didn't get to experience and meet a lot of people in person most of the time. For me that was important.

Jagex Response

Thank you for feeding back to us, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your time at Jagex. We appreciate that the move to remote work during the pandemic was certainly not for everyone, and that creating strong relationships with colleagues is an important part of working here. We hope that you would have enjoyed the changes we’ve made in the direction of a hybrid working environment for our business moving forward.

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good benefits and flexible schedule

Apr 30, 2022 - Senior Manager in Cambridge, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team culture, flexible working schedule, full remote possible, flat structure, manageable pressure with good pay

Cons

Company executives have not clear vision of the future. The strategy is not solid and thus the teams are not managed to bring out the best results. Finance and ERP system are not great.

Jagex Response

Thank you for your feedback, it’s great to know you enjoyed your time at Jagex! However, we are naturally concerned to hear your feelings about a lack of direction within the company. We are always looking to improve, and feedback from former employees is important to us. Please feel free to reach out privately if you would like to expand on your thoughts here.

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Weirdly managed

Mar 15, 2022 - Programmer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is decent I think

Cons

Some big decisions seem abrupt which can dramatically affect teams

5 people found this review helpful

Jagex Response

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear about your positive experience at Jagex, but would be interested to learn more about the issues with management that you are experiencing. Please feel free to reach out privately in whatever way you find most comfortable.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

good pay

Mar 9, 2022 - Site Development Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

good business and good pY

Cons

not any i can think of

Jagex Response

We are very pleased you had such a positive experience at Jagex! Thank you for your feedback.

10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Stay away on a steep decline, extremely difficult to work in, no future

Apr 7, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Fully remote (though not legally binding in contracts)

Cons

* People leaving in droves, sinking ship * Toxicity and politicking like you have never seen * Company has been acquired multiple times, cost cutting measures starting to surface * Technology is ancient, staying too long will impact later career options * Senior management uses the company as a pay check nothing more, all past their best, no game changers

9 people found this review helpful

Jagex Response

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience at Jagex. We are sorry that your experience here has not lived up to your expectations. If you would like to share your feedback in more detail, please reach out to us through whichever internal channel you feel most comfortable with.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 227 Reviews

Jagex Reviews FAQs

Jagex has an overall rating of 3.0 out of 5, based on over 241 reviews left anonymously by employees. 40% of employees would recommend working at Jagex to a friend and 48% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -18% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Jagex employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.8 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Jagex. This rating has decreased by -10% over the last 12 months.

40% of Jagex employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Jagex 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.7 for culture and values and 2.7 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with Jagex Job Seekers