Jagex Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Phil Mansell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Other benefits such as free fruit" (in 12 reviews)

• "The majority of the staff are nice people and you will make friends easily enough" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Bonuses and promotions go to anyone prepared to suck up to senior management" (in 15 reviews)

• "Little to no career development or training opportunities" (in 7 reviews)

"Excellent company"

Current Employee - Junior Tech QA Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Jagex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Easy going Agile environment
    2) Flexible working hours
    3) Very friendly staff
    4) Lots of company events, inside and out!
    5) Plenty of opportunity to provide feedback
    6) Company benefits such as Pension, insurances, gym subsidiary, fruit, hot drinks, vending machines, kitchen & pub
    7) Mental health is taken very seriously and there are many avenues to get help
    8) Can work from home if it's essential

Cons

1) Based in Cambridge that doesn't have any direct connections other than London
    2) Living in Cambridge can be expensive

"Great environment"

Former Employee - Web Systems Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Web Systems Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Jagex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Passionate staff, great office, amazing industry

Cons

Technical debt is often overlooked

Advice to Management

Don't underestimate the effect ancient technology can have in different teams's ability to deliver value.

"Don't believe the hype."

Former Employee - Customer Service in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Cambridge, East of England, England

Pros

Some perks, not bad, not the best, although they will make you believe they're the best

Cons

Where to start??
    From the primary - school- like training (bullies included as "trainers" ) where you're not alowed to ask questions, but are asked questions like "what are you not allowed to do when you're wearing a Jagex t-shirt", where people reply in unissound "NOT GET INTO FIGHTS WITH COLLEAGUES", from the ridiculous targets set where you dont have enough time to blink, from the 'shame on you meeting culture" when you don't reach your RIDICULOUS targets, from the more-managers-than-workers culture, from the 5 minute break where you're allowed blinking and toilet and hopefully-if you have Time -COFFEE (because they micro manage all your steps) from the aggressiveness of your superiors when you're not a bubbly and hiper-excited person to be working there at all times, (because you had ADULT jobs before), don't waste your time in customer service because this is a waste of your family time and energy. An Outdated game, Outdated work system and Outdated slavery-culture, this company was a waste of my energy and basically a STAIN on my CV that I try to hide at all times. People come from all over the country to work here by lack of knowledge. Its not what they tell you, so your gaming knowledge is not worth anything at all, nobody cares about you, you're a number that nobody cares about.

Advice to Management

Learn from small start ups how to treat employees and customers. The pre written, long and robotic responses have no place in this century. Wake up and smell the Blizzard...

"Great place, ruined by politics"

Former Employee - N/A in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Former Employee - N/A in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Jagex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, benefits, mostly fun colleagues

Cons

What appears to be an old boys club in the upper management team, preventing fair treatment of certain staff who can be singled out.

"Stagnant and Political"

I have been working at Jagex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you really like runescape this is the only company for you.
    Very profitable, if you are on the runescape 3 or Old School team you probably have a lot of job security.

Cons

Runescape is our only cash cow.
    The company is very political!
    Bonuses and promotions go to anyone prepared to suck up to senior management.
    Company always fails to do anything else except runescape.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone in your company equally and fairly, recognise hard work and dedication, not nepotism.

"Good starting point in the games industry, but not somewhere to linger long"

I worked at Jagex full-time

Pros

- Great colleagues, relaxed atmosphere, beautiful office. I've made lifelong friends at Jagex. Most people are incredibly passionate about what they do.
    - A good place to 'get a foot in the door' in the gaming industry. It brings in newcomers and spits out highly-experienced industry veterans.
    - Some good perks, including an on-site canteen, free bike repair, extravagant parties, and private healthcare and dental. Maternity and paternity cover and holiday allowance received boosts recently!
    - Situated within beautiful Cambridge, within a short train of London.
    - The opportunity to work on projects outside of your remit.
    - Handsome bonuses.
    - Great grassroots efforts to improve gender representation and diversity.
    - Things look promising for mobile and OSRS!
    - The community can be amazing.

Cons

- Pay isn't great unless you're at the top, especially for Cambridge, which is an expensive city. Makes you wonder where those record profits go. Many would prefer they were used to increase baseline salaries rather than funnelled into unnecessarily lavish bi-annual parties, which in turn exacerbate an already harmful drinking culture. Nobody even uses the in-house pub they splashed out on!
    - Very little upward mobility. Expect to have difficulty progressing internally. Lots of empty promises too. This ties into my next point, but make sure everything you're offered is written down, so you don't spend months doing extra work to have the goalpost moved and ultimately removed.
    - Lazy management has been known to take advantage of some employees' enthusiasm, indefinitely palming off the responsibilities of those who leave onto existing employees without recognition or an end in sight.
    - Weird end of year grading system that *directly impacts* your bonus amount. A three is everything from 'satisfactory' to 'goes above and beyond'. Four is 'goes above and beyond all the time'. Five doesn't seem to exist. Sends the wrong message and adherence is inconsistent across the company.
    - Recently removed the ability to use alternate Thursdays for learning and other projects, though this is said to be returning in Jan. A similar initiative enabling employees from across the business to submit game ideas was also recently canned.
    - Some toxic departments, namely player support, localisation, and marketing. The former especially is run like a call centre. These employees are also exposed to some of the worst behaviours from disgruntled players. Highly stressful, not great for those concerned about their mental health. Latter is extremely disorganised.
    - On that note, the company pours out empty platitudes about positive mental health but often punishes those who are struggling because of it, causing them to spiral further.
    - Recruitment hasn't always had the best reputation, although hopefully this is improving. Stories about people going for months before hearing anything are quite common, even for internal applicants.
    - Appalling gender pay gap because there aren't many women in senior roles. Hopefully this will change.
    - Player community on social media can be extremely toxic, especially towards female jmods on streams. Mostly abuse or objectification (or both). This has led to many women not wanting to partake in streams anymore, which is a shame. The Live Events (formerly MTX) team especially gets a lot of hate, even threats.
    - Employees discouraged from publicly voicing opinions/ concerns on internal forums (described as derailing) and actively discouraged from comparing notes.
    - No truly healthy options in the canteen. 'Light' often means a smaller portion of something unhealthy.
    - While mostly excellent, some people can be gossipy, cliquey, and unkind.

Bottom line: the quality of your experience will be determined by the quality of your manager. There are some excellent ones and some awful ones who have no business managing other people. Make sure they're someone who's willing stand up for you when/if required.

Advice to Management

- Give managers and HR better training on how to deal with employees who struggle with mental health. They should be supported, not punished. Take a human approach.
    - Improve pay for those on the ground. Don't just say you will or claim to have done so (or 'reviewed' it), actually do it. You'll lose out on great talent.
    - Properly and immediately rehire when people leave. Don't palm off responsibilities. It leaves employees feeling as though you've taken advantage. They're people, not machines.
    - Rethink your end of year scoring system and reward those who put in extra work without compensation.
    - Improve opportunities for upwards mobility. Make sure everyone has a progression plan they're happy with, mandatory.
    - Recommence TAPP with revisions, or provide other avenues/outlets for morale-boosting creativity.
    - Provide support and training for those dealing with players directly.
    - Improve working conditions for player support.
    - Address instances where some employees' incompetence makes life more difficult for those they have to work with.

But mainly:

Read these reviews and turn them into actionable points for change!!! Good people are leaving, and it's only gonna get worse.

"Avoid"

I worked at Jagex full-time

Pros

Some good perks and the pay is not bad but is getting worse.

Cons

Awful management and forget a good work-life balance as they want their pound of flesh. Don't believe the hype about a fun working environment, as everyone is out to stab everyone else in the back to avoid taking the blame for mistakes that arise from too much pressure to do too much in too little time. Management are the worst at this. It is ironic that they take so much pride in their charity work for mental health as I knew so many people with depression and stress only from working there.

Advice to Management

Resign

8. "Director"

I worked at Jagex full-time

Pros

Good management, great community, great perks

Cons

Has strategy but lacks vision and execution

Advice to Management

Focus on bringing in top quality talent

"The Home of Living Games"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Jagex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having worked in the games industry with a number of high profile studios all over the world, I can honestly say Jagex has one of the best benefits structures around.

Whilst I cannot speak for everyone, I am very lucky to have the privilege of working alongside super talented, genuine and passionate people that I can learn from, lean on and be inspired by.

We place such a huge emphasis on well-being and charity, consistently smashing our personal bests in terms fundraising with the help of our amazing community.

We're all really excited about our future and have the privilege of extensive years of experience behind us, plus top industry talent joining us, to carry us forward into the third age of Jagex.

Amazing brand representation on a global scale.

An established Women at Jagex group meeting regularly to discuss any issues that affect women in games, as well as tactics to address diversity hires, including ways in which we can inspire the younger generation to consider a career in this amazing industry.

A true dedication to open comms and an encouraging cultural shift from 'we've always done it that way!' to 'how can we do it better?'

Cons

Internal communication platforms are all over the place - we need to take a serious look at improving our internal comms.

The overbearing sense of entitlement of certain individuals - and those that stay silent around them. Why are managers too afraid to call out inappropriate behaviour?

Questionable promotions and figures in high places, but times are changing and they are moving in the right direction.

But really, that's it. The overwhelmingly positive work environment is really hard to beat.

Advice to Management

As we continue to bring in high calibre talent, we need to reflect on our current org structure. Take a closer look - as we adapt and evolve to accommodate our strategy moving forward, who is resistant to change? Who is out of their depth? The true test - who would sink or swim in this industry if they were to ever leave?

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Game Designer in Cambridge, South West England, England
    Current Employee - Game Designer in Cambridge, South West England, England

I have been working at Jagex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Friendly staff
    * Good opportunities
    * Nice location

Cons

* Rushing projects
    * Lack of repeat success

Advice to Management

Give projects the time they need to achieve success. Focus on quality.