Jaguar Land Rover "cars" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Jaguar Land Rover Employee Reviews about "cars"

Updated Nov 17, 2019

3.5
Jaguar Land Rover CEO  Ralf Speth
Ralf Speth
Pros
  • "work life balance is really good(in 93 reviews)

• "Get to work with lots of cool tech - on and off cars(in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • "Bureaucracy in decision making by senior management(in 68 reviews)

• "None - I really enjoyed working for JLR(in 57 reviews)

Reviews about "cars"

Return to all Reviews

"Good environment to work"

I have been working at Jaguar Land Rover full-time

Pros

Fun environment Open and Honest Managers do not hide in an office and get stuck in and offer support Training is great! Pay is really good especially compared to similar roles Plenty of benefits Great pensions Discounts on JLR Cars, merchandise and Ford Privilege Scheme

Cons

Parking can be tricky at times

Jaguar Land Rover2018-10-20
  2. "nice cars ambitious expansion plans"

Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Jaguar Land Rover full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

nice cars ambitious expansion plans

Cons

lots of temporary offices moving from site to site can be disruptive to some

Jaguar Land Rover2019-09-22

"Senior Purchasing Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Jaguar Land Rover full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Salary very competitive in senior ranks - New offices - Iconic brands and beautiful cars

Cons

- Senior Management and Director behaviour extremely poor - Nepotism rife - No accountability at a Senior Level - just blame everyone else - Bullying rife - Welfare concern highly promoted but only as a tick box exercise. No genuine concern for employee wellbeing - Genuinely questionable promotions in recent years - Lack of direction from Senior Management - priorities change daily - HR policies protectionist.... No support for the management trying to manage performance or absence. The process actually encourages managers not to rock the boat and encourages poor performance. - Due to the culture, talent is leaving in droves. And due for the nervousness around managing performance and the excellent salaries - the un-talented are staying. - Attendance Management Policy encourages long term sickness - Reward based on personal relationships not individual results - Decision by committee (after committee after committee) - No structured career planning - Leadership immune to feedback from their employees - which means these issues will never be resolved - Financial rigour - Change and associates cost control (non existent) - Gateways pointless as no one is honest in them - More focus on getting a car to market on time, than at cost and quality

Advice to Management

You have created an entire industry within the company, the remit of which is to go back and try and repair the damage caused by out of control engineering and cost creep - putting more pressure and burden on the working level teams for activities completely out of their control Go back to the root cause - make engineering accountable for delivering a quality input on time. If the gateways aren’t respected, get... rid of them. It will save everyone hours in their already busy week Jag - just stop. The brand is a failure, stop producing saloon cars to compete with the Germans - they do it better and cheaper. We’re emotionally attached to a money pit. Jags niche should be performance race cars and classic. Focus on the cars that don’t consistently damage our bottom line Listen to your people. Management are generally extremely poor, and there are far too many of them. Look at your competitors - managers with less than 5 direct reports would be laughed at in the industry - in JLR, 5 is considered a large team. Give your managers some responsibility and delegated authority. They’re paid handsomely for little actual responsibility. Address the bullying and nepotism, reward people for doing things well and with integrity, rather than cosying up to the next level. As a rule, your managers and senior managers are encouraged to spend their time getting visibility in the right forums rather than effectively managing their people and product . This is why there is an endemic lack of respect for all levels of management in JLR The reviews on this site have been highlighting the toxic culture at JLR for 2 years + , and nothing has changed - in fact it got worse. If anyone from JLR leadership checks the reviews - maybe it’s time to take notice. The leadership behaviours are the reason why the company finds itself currently - it’s easy to blame the economy, Brexit, legislation etc. Time to turn the mirror around and look at ourselves. We are in charge of our own destiny - if we don’t change, we will not be here in 5 years

Jaguar Land Rover2019-09-21
  4. "Unfair workload"

Former Employee - Component Owner in Coventry, England

I worked at Jaguar Land Rover full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Challenges JLR is trying to do good cars

Cons

I have never seen a company where the work is so unfairly spread between the employees. Some people have nothing to do, some others are drowned. The work of component owner is one of the worst in terms of workload and responsibilities. When you are on time and deliver good quality of parts, your managers will take all the honour. When you are late or have some quality issues, you will be the responsible and all... your managers will cover so it is you to take all the responsibility.

Jaguar Land Rover2019-09-22
  5. "Good remuneration, but culture and development need to be brought up to modern standards"

Current Employee - Manager in Gaydon, England

I have been working at Jaguar Land Rover full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Prestigious brands, and a generally good remuneration package including private healthcare, heavily subsidised cars (at management level) and contributory pension

Cons

Poor behaviours from directors and leadership team are not consistent with the culture they're trying to build. Lack of decision can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Put office politics and infighting aside and work collaboratively and compassionately to make the necessary changes to make the company sustainable and one fit to recruit the best talent.

Jaguar Land Rover2019-08-22
  6. "Decent company and cars, long hours"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England

I have been working at Jaguar Land Rover full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice cars, good level of available training

Cons

Long hours, delays in builds, standard issues with whole industry

Advice to Management

More 2 way communication

Jaguar Land Rover2019-08-06
  7. "winner"

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Jaguar Land Rover full-time

Pros

cars are good for staff

Cons

team work needs some major improvement

Advice to Management

Big changes needed

Jaguar Land Rover2019-07-18
  8. "Great company needing to focus on priorities"

Former Employee - Lead Engineer

I worked at Jaguar Land Rover full-time

Pros

Decent salary, chance to work on great new cars. Facilities are good too

Cons

Too many managers introducing their own agenda and processes making it inefficient.

Advice to Management

Focus on design and engineering rather than admin

Jaguar Land Rover2019-06-24
  9. "Great brand but too much internal politics"

Former Contractor - Project Manager

I worked at Jaguar Land Rover for more than a year

Pros

Great brand, great looking cars

Cons

There are too many layers of managements with poor decision making. Silos slow down business and the business cannot make decisions quickly. Lots of old systems make innovation difficult.

Advice to Management

Focus on what matters to push on quality and being innovative. Stop the infighting between different silo teams.

Jaguar Land Rover2019-07-04

"Undergraduate Engineer"

Former Employee - Undergraduate Engineer in Solihull, England

I worked at Jaguar Land Rover full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay, at best? Got to see some future cars. Training courses. Career progression, once permanent.

Cons

Literally did NOTHING as part of my 12 month placement at JLR. I was given fake/meaningless work to be out of sight, and stopped asking once I realised. After that, I literally was just asked to do minor tasks like I'm slave 'get this part for me from the line' . You barely see your 'assigned' manager. Managers don't give you their cars even though they don't own them and require a genuine business need. Complained... to my manager that I had no work, still wasn't given a proper structure of work. No defined advice to undergraduates who have crappy managers as well as those that might not like their departments. Seems like everyone were thrown at random.

Advice to Management

LL6s need training to integrate new members in! Educate them the needs of an undergrad', what they want and how their work should be structured. I genuinely wasted a year and regret not moving departments!

Jaguar Land Rover2019-06-29