Japan Tobacco International Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.0
Japan Tobacco International President and Chief Executive Officer Eddy Pirard
Eddy Pirard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The company really values employees and believes in work life balance" (in 12 reviews)

• "Great working environment and healthy organizational culture" (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sometimes too slow decision making but as usual in corporate world" (in 16 reviews)

• "Sometimes lower work life balance" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Japan Tobacco International full-time

Pros

The company really cares about its employees. Compensation package is very good. Willingness to grow internal people for managing positions.

Cons

I really can't find cons for the company.

2. "Project manager"

I worked at Japan Tobacco International full-time

Pros

Great working hours, excellent training provided. Bi-annual bonus

Cons

Night shifts. Noisy work environment

"Great place shame one TL ruins it for everyone!"

Pros

Great office and location. Most departments function with an adult environment which improves moral and respect for one another

Cons

The AP team work well and pull together whenever we need to but there is still a lack of trust and honesty within the AP team. The team still work with an element of fear and distrust driven by the TL as she speaks to the team like we are children and some comments made by the TL are rude and unacceptable, telling staff that they haven't earned their salary if they haven't completed a task, never mind if we have processed over 100 invoices or SRTS each and supported other teams. I really like working at the BSC but behaviour like this can't continue.

Advice to Management

Carry on wirh the adult environment you are getting there but also listen to your staff and help AP be the great team we deserve to be.

4. "Good company"

I worked at Japan Tobacco International full-time

Pros

Great people and benefits. International Company with lots of international opportunties.

Cons

The tobacco industry is stagnating.

5. "Excellent pay and benefits."

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at Japan Tobacco International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The money was fantastic with lots of opportunity to do overtime.
    12 hour shifts over 3 days meant I had a lot of time off throughout the week.

Cons

Training was quite poor sometimes.
    Teamwork wasn't really encouraged with a lot of people who had been there a long time not really prepared to pass on their knowledge.
    Management weren't particularly trustworthy.

"Hell's got to be better than this place!!!"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Salford, North West England, England

I worked at Japan Tobacco International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay, bonuses, free parking.

Cons

If I didn't leave this place of my own accord, I would have left on a stretcher. The people working in Accounts Payable who leave glowing reviews for JTI on this site, must be getting bribed or threatened??? As this place was hell on earth!!! It's a shame, as when I first started it felt like a dream job. There was a lot of work to do, processes at that time were a lot more manual, but you didn't mind grafting. As the management at that time did little gestures like pizza and beer every now and then, to show their appreciation to the staff. Once the new manager took over, all that stopped, even little things like easter eggs and advent calendars were stopped. The suggestion box for you to be able to give ideas, suggestions, concerns etc was taken away. Showing that management didn't want to hear what or how their staff felt. Some of the team experts were on powers trips and thought they ran the place. There was a lot of petty school playground mentalities. They would make notes of people coming in 1 minute late, make notes of how many times you were away from your desk and then relay it all back to team leads. But some of them seemed to operate on flexi time, the amount of coffee breaks, cigarette breaks and so called meetings they had (just to have a moan about people off), seemed to be totally fine. Some of the team leads were down right bullies and management had ridiculous targets they expected AP to hit, with not enough resources. You can get in as early as you wish, bust your backside to make sure you do the best that you can do and still it is not enough for management. As the resources are so bad in AP, they stop you from progressing into other roles for different departments... if you are good at what you do. They will only encourage you, if they don't like you or want you on AP... I overheard team leads have such a discussion about someone they didn't want on AP due to tardiness and constantly being on their phone instead of working...they were given a good review so they could move to a different department. There is no-one to talk to in regards to stress, workload, unfair treatment from experts/team leads etc. As the HR department is just as bad. Even at the very end when I had my exit interview, HR clearly weren't interested in what I had to say (even though I warned them that they'll lose more good, hardworking staff if nothing is done)... I'm sure they filed my paper in the bin! After all the reasons I gave to HR, as to why I was leaving. I found out after I left, that my colleagues were told by management, that I'd only resigned due to being offered more money by another company. After the amount of years and hard work that I'd given to JTI, this was hurtful to hear and totally untrue! I left as I learnt that my health and sanity were far more important, than that job.

Advice to Management

It's all been said before and regardless of your replies on here, management clearly do not care and this is why the turnover of staff is so high. Management need to stop being so arrogant and actually listen to the people who are doing the job. If you continue to treat people like crap, they will leave (with their skills, knowledge and hard work) and go somewhere, where they are appreciated (and they will warn others of their experience of working for JTI). Just because the position is a clerk, does not make them any less important than you! And also, not wishing people all the best when they are leaving is one thing. But telling people that if you leave, you will never be welcome back, is just plain rude and unnecessary?!!!
    ...you don't need to reply to this, as I heard enough of the lies and fake concern when I worked for you.

Japan Tobacco International Response

3 May 2018 – General Manager, Manchester BSC

Dear Colleague,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at JTI Manchester through Glassdoor.

I read with interest your comments and I feel that they bear little resemblance... More

7. "Make JTI great again"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Japan Tobacco International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Diverse and interesting environment with people from many cultures and nationalities. Good office locations and the opportunity to travel and work abroad for those willing and able to do so. Big Company benefits. CEO very capable and looking to make real changes.

Cons

Bureaucracy. Endless policies and procedures that lead to slow decision making and over-consultation. Many policies are used selectively and therefore are effectively meaningless. Company calls for people to be ‘Open’ and ‘Challenging’ but in reality discourages frank feedback on critical strategic shortcomings.

Advice to Management

Stop dealing in meaningless sound bites. If you have a message, show the real changes and actions taken to 'make it happen'. Secure the future by becoming less HQ-centric and more transparent.

HR department is a disaster and need radical reform. Comp & Bens 'strategy' needs to be made fully transparent to address serious inequalities. You do not make employees ‘investors’ or build a JTI brand by revising benefits for long service loyal employees in key markets (when they already compare unfavourably to JTI and industry peers). Not appropriate for a Japanese company and time to wise up before it’s too late.

"A Top Employer for good reason"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weybridge, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weybridge, England

I have been working at Japan Tobacco International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

JTI is a really great company to work for with a good focus on employee development in terms of training and education opportunities. Career progression opportunities are mixed depending on your department but there are also international moves possible if you are open to them and I have seen plenty of people relocate to a new country for a new experience.
    One of the key highlights for me is the possibility for all employees to volunteer as part of the company's community investment programs - I have done so on numerous occasions for the various charities supported by JTI and it is truly rewarding and I love that the company facilitates this for us.
    Overall, it's a great working environment to be in with lots of great facilities on site and some great reward schemes and incentives. Just some of the many reasons why I'm still here after over 6 years.

Cons

There can be some challenges in relation to the industry restrictions but in some ways this can make it more interesting anyway as you have to look at new and innovative ways to work with these restrictions.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your employees because they are truly the ones who will help keep the company moving forward in innovative and progressive ways.

Japan Tobacco International Response

20 Nov 2017 – Head of HR, UK

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are passionate about our people and take great pride in fully supporting their development and the opportunities this may open up for them.

The... More

9. "Trade Insight Manager"

Current Employee - Trade Insight Manager in Weybridge, England
    Current Employee - Trade Insight Manager in Weybridge, England

Pros

Opportunities to influence strategic decisions and to work across multiple trading channels.

Cons

Continuous legislative restrictions which limit marketing involvement to drive business.

10. "Could be better/ could be worse"

I have been working at Japan Tobacco International part-time

Pros

There's a lot of freedom and nobody there is a particularly harsh taskmaster. The job is easy. You can train to do different things.

Cons

Dull work, many things don't work in the warehouse, company not willing to spend money on decent equipment despite having large turnover.