Japan Tobacco International Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.8
Japan Tobacco International President and Chief Executive Officer Eddy Pirard
Eddy Pirard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • JTI strives to achieve a positive work-life balance, but also compensates their employees very well (in 10 reviews)

• Great working environment and healthy organizational culture (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Decision making is sometimes a bit slow but this is just perhaps due to the size of the company (in 11 reviews)

• For the last 2-3 years confusing senior management message and decisions plus optimizations at all costs did create a tangible tension (in 5 reviews)

1. "Trade Insight Manager"

Current Employee - Trade Insight Manager in Weybridge, England
    Current Employee - Trade Insight Manager in Weybridge, England

I have been working at Japan Tobacco International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to influence strategic decisions and to work across multiple trading channels.

Cons

Continuous legislative restrictions which limit marketing involvement to drive business.

2. "Could be better/ could be worse"

I have been working at Japan Tobacco International part-time

Pros

There's a lot of freedom and nobody there is a particularly harsh taskmaster. The job is easy. You can train to do different things.

Cons

Dull work, many things don't work in the warehouse, company not willing to spend money on decent equipment despite having large turnover.

"Never Been Happier"

Current Employee - Associate in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Associate in Manchester, England

I have been working at Japan Tobacco International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work at the BSC in Manchester and over the short time I have been here the culture has changed for the better. The current management have not been in the company long (I've heard all but one less then a few years) and are changing things.
    The place is becoming a really good environment to work and looks promising for the future.
    JTI is a huge multinational company with lots of opportunities (if you are willing to travel) and even some locally if you are not. You just need to think outside the box and make the most of the opportunities.
    If you want to just come in do your 9-5 and go home, not engage with others and not try to better yourself or the company, this may not be the right company for you.
    The benefits are plentiful: Private healthcare, discount on cycling equipment, cashback at most major high-street retailers, Doctor@Hand is a new service where you can get prescriptions without visiting a GP etc. The ability to purchase extra days holidays, multiple staff parties a year... I could go on.
    To do well in JTI work hard, be imaginative, think outside the box and make an effort to engage with people.

Cons

Current office is dated (we are moving to a new office, so this will soon be a pro!)
    There are people who just don't get the adult environment which is being created, for example some people are "lost" when not being told exactly what to do and it can be hard to work with them. Also there are some team leads who are obviously still behind the times cant let go of the reigns they have on their team members.

Advice to Management

Top level management Keep doing what you are doing - I can clearly see the difference its making.
    Team Leads (Does not apply to all) - Let go and let your people get on with their jobs, embrace the adult environment and let them manage there own time and workload.

10 May 2017 – General Manager, JTI Manchester

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at JTI Manchester. It makes me particularly happy to hear that you feel this way. My intention is that all colleagues feel the same way. It... More

"Beware of Accounts Payable Department"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Associate in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Associate in Manchester, England

I worked at Japan Tobacco International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Poor management. Team leaders have poor knowledge of the process. This results in a very bad organization of work, illogical decisions, expectations impossible to meet.
    -Management do not listen to associates, ignore their advice and belittle their concerns. All issues that me and my colleagues mentioned to TL/higher management were swept under the carpet.
    -Lack of transparency, honesty and there’s bad communication. Some TLs use manipulation and simply lie to associates to achieve what they want.
    -Experts are often impolite, some of them have smaller knowledge than associates. Employees are treated unfair. It is not well seen when associates leave their desk to get a coffee, while in case of Experts constant brews or cigarette breaks and chatting in the middle of the office is tolerated by management. Foreigners are not treated equally with the British by some experts and TLs.
    -The company does not provide development. There is no time for proper training about processes nor for additional trainings that company provides. Although this is in the scope of experts’ responsibilities, new starters are trained by associates who has to do at the same time their own job.
    -Moving from AP department to any other department is blocked by TLs who just simply do not want to lose experienced people from AP. As a result the company has lost several good and experienced employees who preferred to leave to other companies.
    -Not all associates who left the company were replaced by new starters. Instead, the work was divided into the remaining associates.
    -All this causes frustration in all AP team and the biggest rotation I’ve ever experienced in any company.

Cons

-Benefits, free lunches from time to time.
    -Well known company

Advice to Management

-Change management in AP - including Team leaders.
    -Treat all people equally and fair (experts, associates, new and old employees)
    -Listen to what associates have to say. What they say to experts or team leaders is filtered and false information reaches higher management.
    -Respect and treat well old employees too, as now only new starters are treated well (better than old other employees).
    -Be honest with employees.
    -Employ enough people for the work to be done and so employees can take part in trainings.

10 May 2017 – General Manager, JTI Manchester

Dear Colleague,

It is with much sadness that I learn about your experience at JTI Manchester through Glassdoor. I can only imagine that you felt this was your only option to make us aware of... More

"Transaction processing"

Former Employee - Account Associate in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Account Associate in Manchester, England

I worked at Japan Tobacco International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Global solid company. Relatively good rate of pay and benefit package, however there's been a cut on certain benefits, They sponsor financial education, and also provide good other training. The last GM has strict rules, however he is fair and he is there for you.

Cons

Where do I start? Although it can be a great company to work for, depending in which country and/or department you end up, I must say that the Transaction Processing department in Manchester has to be the worst working environment I ever ended into. Loads of back stabbing (even between friends!), bickering, sometimes even childish. Very stressful working environment, barely see any smiley faces around, management are two faced, and sometimes being unprofessional. All the good ones end up leaving. There is no flexibility. or consideration for your hard work and extra hours put in. And don't be late just 1 minute! Because you're going to get it, and it won't matter if you regularly stayed in the office longer before to finish your work properly. Very hard to move internally unless you have a very good connection or brown nose accordingly. It also feels like working inside a Socialist / Communist regime. Again this is my experience at the BSC Manchester in the Transaction Processing department (which is called "The Zoo") , and it does not reflect the company as a whole.

Advice to Management

Need a massive clean up in Management ie HR, TL and some Managers. Unfortunately too many hypocrites and control freaks. No wonder why all your good ones end up leaving.

20 Feb 2017 – General Manager, JTI Manchester

Thank you for your review. It is with much disappointment that I learn about your experience at JTI Manchester. I can only imagine that posting feedback in this way was a last recourse to make us... More

"Feels like family :-)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at Japan Tobacco International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked in the Manchester office for nearly 3 years. The one thing I've noticed in that time is that it's a faced paced environment with lots of change. But the changes that have happened over the last few years (in my opinion) have been for the best. My training was good when I started and since then they (HR and Managers) have developed a new induction programme. The new people I've spoken to have said that they enjoyed this and learned a lot about the company. In companies I worked before this, there was never any rewards or social things for staff. Since joining, I've been to 2 Christmas parties (with free food and drinks), a summer party with a BBQ and free drinks and loads of games - everyone enjoyed it so those who are negative obviously don't know how to have fun! (my opinion again haha). I've also seen people leave the office to move into project roles, or even move to other offices in the company. I didn't realise when I started here that there are so many opportunities across the world for people to move to if they are interested and work hard. It's not for me right now but in future who knows? My team manager is really helpful and supportive - yes all managers get busy at times and are not always there straight away - but there are others on the team who can help. HR have always been really supportive too even though they are a small team.

I've been on lots of training courses since being here too. I've been on Microsoft Excel training, VBA, Train the Trainer and Insights (which was excellent). To say there is no development here is just not true. As for the Management Team, they could probably do more of communicating with us but I get that business changes quickly. But we do have what they call town hall meetings quite often were business results and objectives are shared, they always ask us for input on how we can improve things and there is an ideas database that we can all use to make suggestions.

I'm not saying everyday is a walk in the park - there are times when things get a bit tough. Month end can be really hard but everyone is in it together. At other times in the month it's not so busy. You're either the type of person who gets your head down and gets on with work, or you're somebody who thinks life owes them a living. I work hard, and I think i'm treated well.

I really like working here and if we do move to a new office next year then I think things will be even better.

Cons

Some people enjoy moaning - I think if you have something to complain about you should do it in person so things can be improved. I don't think this is the place to do it.

Targets are quite tough too - but I get that we are trying to improve

Advice to Management

Talk to us a bit more. Adult to Adult 😁 we have our Team Managers but it would be nice to get to know you more too.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Weybridge, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Weybridge, England

I have been working at Japan Tobacco International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working conditions are great. People are generally great and nice to work with.

Cons

Poor development opportunities within the UK. No real development for low/middle management and really only career opportunities within certain functions such as Corp Affairs and HR. Management say the right things about staff retention and attracting new talent however most elements of change from HR continue to erode pay and benefits for staff and lower management levels whilst seemingly increasing or separating benefits for senior management levels. No direct accountability for UK senior management on local performance.

Advice to Management

Start thinking about the needs and aspirations of your current loyal staff and not what you think outside agencies think we need... Staff retention starts at home and not with new employees. New employees by nature have no loyalty and will always move on whatever you offer, its the way of the modern workforce.

17 Feb 2017 – Head of HR, UK

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are pleased to hear that the people and working conditions at JTI make it a great environment to work in.

However, we are sorry that you do not... More

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at Japan Tobacco International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Management has an open door approach - easy accessible, understanding, will make the time for you. Progression is limitless if you are prepared to put the effort in, after all its your own life, nothing comes free. Working environment on the whole is good natured, with an encouragement on innovation looking to the future, to add value to all our roles.

Cons

Fast paced change if that's a con, communication sometimes mixed messages, but we are all working to improve that.

Advice to Management

Keep going - the business needs Managers who care about the people and the business, pushing both forward to enable change and making Manchester a great place to work.

"Manchester - its actually OK:)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at Japan Tobacco International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have had to work in between Christmas and New Year but the Company has provided free breakfast and lunch and during this period. I also attended the Christmas Party and had free food and drink all night and a free taxi home. My last Company didn't do anything like this

Cons

I am surprised by the negative reviews left here, I can only speak from my own personal experience but I have really enjoyed my first six months in this Company and my team mates are really nice people

Advice to Management

None

"A great company to progress with! You get out what you put in."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

Pros

Development opportunities are there for those prepared to work! I have been working at the Manchester office for a number of years now and the turn around in the direction of the company has been remarkable. Promotions and positive dialogue scores are actively encouraged for those prepared to work hard for them.

This is a Forward thinking place to work which looks to take inspiration from other forward thinking companies, embracing new ways of working. The pace of change is fast which makes life interesting and every employee is encouraged to weigh in with their own innovative ideas- no idea is too small!

If you want to work somewhere which is equally challenging and rewarding you will not be disappointed.

Cons

The documentation process surrounding improvements can be difficult to work with-driven by the system itself which could be much simpler.

Advice to Management

Keep going....