Japan Tobacco International Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 544 reviews

3.9
Japan Tobacco International CEO Eddy Pirard
Eddy Pirard
Pros
  • "JTI it’s a open and inclusive organization with a high commitment with his employees(in 46 reviews)

• "timo ambiente de trabalho, recomendo de olhos fechados(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • "The people who are managers are good people but do need a lot of upskilling to be at a standard that JTI sells itself as(in 36 reviews)

• "Sometimes too slow decision making but as usual in corporate world(in 16 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Weybridge, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Japan Tobacco International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible working Good training Dress down Good benefits package Nice environment

Cons

Lots of process Very little progression Management is inexperienced at some levels

Advice to Management

Put in place better opportunities for progression to retain talented employees.

Japan Tobacco International2019-09-04

"If your face fits you’ll go a long way personally bullied and segregated by management"

Former Employee - Finance in Manchester, England

I worked at Japan Tobacco International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great health care, holidays, pension (but min contribution has been upped so people struggling to stay in it), Christmas party (but every move is watched by management), bonus, nice location with free parking. Most people stay here because of the people they work with are good people but too many good people have left now.

Cons

No support from TL’s they just bow down to management. If you disagree or have an opinion your cards marked again the same if you’ve been off on long term sick. Management only have time for the staff that jump when they say, you might get a ‘hi’ from senior team or a smile but no conversation that’s only for the people they like. This place has a ‘black hole’ where many staff disappear when their face doesn’t fit.... Management lie to your face to cover up their wrong doings. So much is covered up by the management team that I expect if HQ really knew what went on here they would loose their jobs. I’ve worked here for many years but have found that people only progress if they ‘like’ you. I could go on and on but feel it would not change the way things are here it’s more of a warning to others thinking of joining this company. There is no looking after the staff or treating them as human beings more the ‘needs of the business’ so staff are cast aside and not treated respectfully more like children.

Advice to Management

Dont bother replying to my review I’ve worked many years listening to your lies. Staff are too scared to report problems/issues to the management team or higher up as it then means your cards are marked and you’ll find yourself being pushed out. Many good honest functional leads / staff have been pushed out over the years and the reviews you put on here are false and inaccurate. Get rid of your management team... from my personal experience some are just bullies and uses their status to block any progression or opportunities if they dont like you. They like to silence the people with voices which makes a mockery of the ‘Your Voice’ system you have in place for people to speak up.

Japan Tobacco International2019-07-28
  3. "Cool and friendly team, supportive environment"

Former Employee - Market Analyst in Weybridge, England

I worked at Japan Tobacco International full-time

Pros

Friendly team manager and colleagues Supportive culture Excellent pension scheme and benefits

Cons

Basic pay doesn’t rise fast enough with experience and market conditions Senior management changes and it’s a lottery sometimes

Advice to Management

Better pay and benefits for good workers if you want to retain them

Japan Tobacco International2019-05-18
  4. "Excellent Company"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Weybridge, England

I worked at Japan Tobacco International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent Benefits and good work life balance

Cons

Limited progression of your face doesn't fit

Advice to Management

Allow people to be developed

Japan Tobacco International2019-05-09
  5. "Shame they went away"

Former Employee - Management in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at Japan Tobacco International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits and decent conditions

Cons

Sloppy management, instances of blame culture

Advice to Management

Break out of the 1970s

Japan Tobacco International2019-04-04
  6. "Not too bad a company"

Procurement in London, England

I worked at Japan Tobacco International

Pros

High benefits , fly business class

Cons

Bureaucracy, many layers and levels

Japan Tobacco International2019-04-08
  7. "Great employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ballymena, Northern Ireland

I worked at Japan Tobacco International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent salary, bonus and pension. Fantastic working environment and people

Cons

Possibility of redundancy or site closures/relocation

Japan Tobacco International2019-03-06

"R2R BSC Manchester"

Former Employee - R2R in Manchester, England

I worked at Japan Tobacco International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Better than average pay in relation to the amount of work done. Flexible working hours lead to a good work/life balance. Benefits package is very good. Worth sticking as much as you can into your pension whilst you are here as their contributions are not reflected anywhere else. Month End/Year End do not escalate to ridiculous hours due to the current automated process. No keeping things open for the... market, just firm close deadlines. The General Manager is a warm and caring individual of an irrepressible nature who does really take peoples best interests to heart. When you get to know him he is not your archetypal manager and is really a very nice guy. A genuine asset to the BSC. Relaxed office environment, can lead to some issues between people in teams but overall issues aren’t bad enough to cause much friction. Multicultural workforce is also a massive asset. Can be a really exciting place to work and the social aspect is immense, mainly because of the other colleagues that work there. Company does go all out when it comes to office parties, free bar all night and you can expense your taxi home. Proximity to MediaCity means that there are a lot of places to go during lunch/after work.

Cons

Far too many of the actual processes are automated so there is a lot of time spent twiddling your thumbs or doing project work which often concludes that even more tasks can be automated. Very transaction led as is the case with most BSCs. Requests are made by the market and you perform them. If you question what has been posted you usually get the below response. Most of the entities have their own... accountants meaning that you have no control over the output from them. If you find an issue and discuss with them you are often told to just post them as it is their entity not yours. Markets do not see you as a business partner, more of a subservient partner. You tend to find that you are a very small cog in a large machine. Quite a lot of free time within the role. Sort of a Pro as well really! Development within the company is capped to a certain level so for progression and for a better salary you get to a point where you do need to leave. If you are a motivated individual who wants to develop within finance you will have your wings clipped and find that the role in the BSC will not fill your development needs. Even when you do rise to the Expert position you find that you spend more time in meetings than actually learning more involved and complex tasks. As is oft the case in a BSC environment they are more interesting in developing the interpersonal skills that you need to manage and lead people than the analytical side which needs development if you are to progress further up the finance ladder. Massive disparity in pay between people in the same role doing the same job. In some cases people in this position lack motivation to do the job just preferring to just do the bare minimum. Definitely needs to be addressed to harmonise the workforce as it did lead to a lot of resentment when I was there. Month End issues are not investigated as thoroughly as they should be as in issues are just removed at month end so it does not cause reconciliation issues but once the new period open it is still there. During the month there is enough time to work on this is often not done due to the process to correct not being understood by everyone. Sadly the General Manager’s personality does not reflect in a lot of the management that are employed by the company. The people who are managers are good people but do need a lot of upskilling to be at a standard that JTI sells itself as. A lot of the management are sold short and expected to do a lot that they are not really trained to deal with so HR need to take an active role in their development. The actual office is sold as a pro but I found it to be a con. Large, open plan but quite unwelcoming. No real place to have privacy and for someone who can be relatively introverted and like my own space I found it at times hard to deal with. Noise levels are also not contained within the kitchen due to the open planned nature which can make it hard to work. The office also exudes a sort of Ikea™ flat pack look which is oversold as being cutting edge but has more of a put-together-last-minute-with-log-cabin-wood-and furniture look about it. Working in the tobacco industry. You are actually actively involved in creating tobacco products to be created, distributed and used across the world. The BSC tries really hard to make it indistinguishable what they do as a business (in a lot of cases because of British law) but the underlying principal of what they do is there. Not for the more virtuous out there!

Advice to Management

Take heed to the above. We were actively encouraged to question and investigate problems and find our own way to resolve but in most cases the infrastructure was not there to implement it. It is laudable to try and bring this into a service centre environment but in my opinion the majority of staff are not of this ilk. For the BSC to become a place of continuous improvement and evolution and to head down this path... there needs to be a huge change in the way people are recruited, trained and developed. As service centre with a highly restrictive role in the grand scheme of how the company operates, there is a glass ceiling and in my opinion that has been hit. It is a case of understanding your market and what they need, and to not give the people that work there a false sense of the value of their role. The only way that the BSC will succeed and move out of a BSC mentality is to take all of the responsibility for the financials away from the market and centralize it in Manchester. This will give colleagues more of a sense of responsibility and job satisfaction, as you would start to see things through from end to end.

Japan Tobacco International2019-03-18
  9. "Regional Marketing manager"

Current Employee - Regional Marketing Manager in London, England

I have been working at Japan Tobacco International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

employee benefits, culture, work & life balance

Cons

location, post industry opportunities, benefits

Advice to Management

develop agile system

Japan Tobacco International2019-02-20

"Appalling experience and mediocre managers"

I worked at Japan Tobacco International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pension scheme and nothing else!!!

Cons

Shockingly mediocre manager. I was lied to from day 1. Bullied and attacked for my personality from my poor excuse of a manager. I cannot believe a company like JTI allows their employees to be treated so wrongly and unfairly.

Advice to Management

Retrain the managers that have worked there for a long time to be more adaptable to changes, less stuck In their ways and respect their employees!!!!!

Japan Tobacco International2019-01-30

Japan Tobacco International Response

January 31, 2019Global Talent Management & HQ HR VP

It is very uncomfortable to learn about internal problems from an external platform, yet thank you for being vocal and sharing your experience, even if it is a negative one. We put a lot of conscious effort into creating a great working environment for our people, so I would appreciate ...

Found 544 reviews