Jive Software Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Scott Brighton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, helpful product, can't think of any other way to work (in 25 reviews)

• I was inspired to write this review after reading a recent interview with the company's CMO about work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There is absolutely no work/life balance at Jive as the pressure to perform is intense (in 9 reviews)

• Incredibly high turnover due to management not listening to talented employees (in 7 reviews)

"Best Company I have ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Reading, England

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

So many pros I can't add them all so here's a few of the best.

1.Great people who are smart, helpful and dedicated. If you have a question about anything you can usually get a helpful answer from someone somewhere within minutes; often from another country.
    2. Amazing product that is innovating at a rapid pace. Jive is already a long way ahead of it's competitors from a product perspective but there are also new innovations happening right now that are truly ground-breaking which makes this an exciting place to be right now.
    3. Very open culture of sharing, advising, mentoring and innovating - this includes senior management too. If you want to speak to anyone at any level of seniority you can, it is truly enlightening. No command-and-control ivory-tower senior management styles here.
    4. The way that we work - this includes all of the above points but there's more to it. We live what we preach to our customers and this means we have a company culture and a digital way of working that is second-to-none. If I had to go back to the way that other companies work I would truly feel back in the stone-age.
    5. We punch above our weight - for a company of 600+ employees we have some of the biggest companies in the world as enterprise customers, and these customers are achieving amazing things.

Cons

This is a fast-paced environment which on-occasion can lead to long hours and stress. This is also a complex enterprise-class solution which can be complicated and difficult to explain to customers and prospects who are new to the topic of what we do - it's a big topic. No company is perfect and Jive isn't perfect, but it's very much better than any other company I've worked for in my career. If you want an easy-life then go join one of the big software companies. If you want a fast-paced intellectual and personal challenge every day then this is a good place to work.

I also want to talk about some of the negative reviews here on Glassdoor. Unfortunately when some people leave a company they feel bitter and feel they need to leave bad reviews on Glassdoor. This has skewed the perception of Jive on Glassdoor as it doesn't take account of the views of the people who are current employees and want to work here (like me). It's a shame some ex-employees are so bitter because they are impacting their friends and ex-colleagues who like it here and still work here. Those are the people their bitterness is impacting, not any ex-managers that they are targeting with their negative comments. This is the reason I'm leaving this review. I'm one of many many people who like it here and I hope that this review helps to balance out the negativity of the very small number of ex-employees leaving the negative reviews. If you are thinking of working at Jive then my advice is to get the real picture by speaking to several employees who work here now both long-timers and newbies.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. This is a complex and challenging market that is moving at a ridiculous pace. Keep focused on the published priorities. Don't get distracted, and deliver on the plan because I believe in it.

"Professional Services Engineer"

Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant
    Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It used to be a great job... I learned loads, had lots of independence and very well paid.

Cons

So so so so many at this point.

Basically, since being purchased by Aurea there has been an endless rate of attrition (Aurea typically aim for 40%). Initially, we were told we shall see if we want you because we can get talent by the 100s anywhere else in the world to replace you. In fact, my team were at risk for a few hours, only to have that retracted. So bank on no job security, a company with a very limited shelf life which places no value in employees or talent. I won't mention the obvious lack of success items... Jive Software will never be successful under the Aurea 'model'. That model being a vestige of the 90's and 00's where the illusion was cheapest is best. You should only take a role with Jive if you do not mind being agile about moving to the next role forcibly or not. Do not expect anyone to value you or your contribution at a company level. The few that are left, do so for their own motivations at this time.

"Good product but no vision"

Former Employee - Sales in Reading, England
    Former Employee - Sales in Reading, England

Pros

- The product is efficient.
    - The EMEA team is a lovely group of people allowing you to work in a friendly atmosphere.
    - The Reading office is nice and well deserved by public transportation.
    - Free food and drinks

Cons

- Product "nice-to-have", not mission critical.
    - Competition by major companies leads to a lack of awareness of Jive.
    - As a sale, people won't know who your company is and relate to the competition.
    - The US are leading the European business by trying to apply what works in a region with another mindset to an other. Can't see that working in the long-term.
    - Despite the good atmosphere in the office, the morale is at a lowest and you can feel that people are wondering wether to leave or stay.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately, it is too late. I wish the best to my former colleagues in the upcoming acquisition by Aurea.

"Strange Place"

I worked at Jive Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall the product performs highly, but slow upgrades and inconsistent professional services have resulted in a weakening customer base.

Cons

The management team in EMEA expect respect rather than earning it, but this is due to the office being purely sales focused. The US management team are excellent; they see the EMEA office as a merely a satellite that supports their worldwide customers since many of their global customers have EMEA offices that require attention. All of the significant company decisions originate from the US. If you work in Sales, EMEA is a good fit, if you want to work in any other corporate function, the US locations are a must.

Advice to Management

Have US directors spend a Qtr in the EMEA office and rotate them.

6. "Support"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Jive Software (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly and collaborative. Plenty of fun if that's your thing.
    Strong ethical balance.
    Challenging.
    Opportunity to learn the world of collaborative software for business.
    Excellent tool for businesses.

Cons

Long days, little work life balance.
    You'll get fat on the free food.
    Not a lot of scope for career progression.

"Fantastic product, some great people, failed company"

I worked at Jive Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Jive's technology is truly revolutionary and for those forward-thinking companies that adopt Jive they truly are in the process (or already have!) changed the way that people work together, in a most positive way. While many of the great and good people left Jive long ago, there are some very talented individuals still at Jive doing their best to continue moving things forward.

Cons

Company was grasping for straws to become more valuable and all these efforts fumbled and failed to payoff
    Sold out to private equity that believes "transparency" means monitoring keystrokes and taking screenshots of what employees do on a daily basis.
    Market competitors are behemoths like Microsoft, Salesforce, IBM have successfully boxed Jive into a niche that doesn't allow for the growth they could achieve.

Advice to Management

Do something right by your people while you sell them out to Aurea and the private equity firm that (ESW Capital) that is the true owner.

"Avoid working at this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Jive Software full-time

Pros

Free food. That is about it, quite literally.

Cons

Serious bullying in EMEA. If you show any sign of weakness at all, you will be driven into the floor.

Also, the calibre of management staff is awful. One person is a director who would have bene fired anywhere else I have worked.

If you want to have a life outside work, then don't work for Jive. If, on the other hand, you enjoy working almost every weekend and regularly pulling all-nighters with no thanks or recompense, then Jive is the place for you.

If you want to work in a cult-like atmosphere, then join Jive. I have never see such brainwashing , nor have I seen so many people cowed into mindless submission.

They don't promote from within. If there is a middle or senior level vacancy, they will hire externally every time. You have no career prospects in Jive.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to give to management, because they don't listen to anyone.

"Swings and Roundabouts"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Reading, England
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Reading, England

I worked at Jive Software (Less than a year)

Pros

The majority of people give the place a good culture.

Cons

Strategy unclear.
    Some of the management in the UK are bullies.
    High turnover.

10. "Great vision and unique team to execute on it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The management is clear and transparent. The Executive team is visible and accessible. The communication is very transparent. Colleagues are friendly and supportive. There is a vision with a clear roadmap to follow and an amazing team to execute on it.

Cons

Some processes could be sleeker and more embedded but you could argue that too much processes kill agility.

Advice to Management

Keep the great work.

"Member of EMEA management team"

Former Employee - Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at Jive Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products suite. Really cool UK office. Others in EMEA could be better but U.K. Is very nice. Some really good people who work hard. Celebrating the success in deals is always good.

Cons

A couple of bad people at de top of EMEA stack. Constant bullying and boring meeting monologue. This is a shame because it's not the effective way of management.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing. Start pulling. Especially in all of Europe. You may call this better leadership.