JoVE Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 28 Oct 2019

3.4
JoVE CEO Moshe Pritsker
Moshe Pritsker
Pros
  • "Kind of place where you work 9-5 and leave, no home work or late night emails(in 10 reviews)

• "Great people, that are passionate about a really innovative product(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  1. "Friendly company to work for"

I have been working at JoVE full-time

Pros

Open door policy so its not intimidating to talk to management. Friendly team really welcoming. Good training when you arrive so not thrown in the deep end.

Cons

just because I have to write something, they could be more open with pay. But overall a really nice company to work for

JoVE2019-04-16
  2. "Super"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madurai

I worked at JoVE full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good for work nice team

Cons

Non another any other work

JoVE2019-10-29
  3. "Software developer"

I have been working at JoVE full-time

Pros

Its good company to work here

Cons

its Microsoft partnered company like nothing

JoVE2019-08-23

"Not a BAD job...but definitely not for everyone."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Cambridge, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at JoVE full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Has weekly socials and a happy hour once a month - Close to the MBTA and they pay for a monthly pass - 9-5 with 1 hour lunch (literally everyone, including most of sales, leaves at 5 on the dot) - Free dental - Social/friendly sales team

Cons

There is literally nowhere good to get good food. The "cafe" in the building is so gross. There are food trucks sometimes but there's not much variety and it's expensive. There is a Bertucci's in walking distance but everything else you need to drive to unless you want to walk for 25 minutes. Yes the office is in Cambridge but it’s basically in Arlington. It's in an incredibly boring area so if you're used to working downtown or in a urban environment you might not be happy here. Some people complain there there is no sales training. But honestly I think that the way they just throw you in as a BDR is the way to do it. No need to sit in classes for a month. This isn't a "call center" job but you will be making 100+ calls a day as a BDR. And it's awkward...bothering professors while they are trying to work. Cold calls are hard and potential customers HATE IT. So be prepared to feel like the most annoying person on earth when you are cold-calling. Some people have thick skin and are amazing at it...but for most it can be very uncomfortable. 90% of your work is done on the phone, not email. As an Account Executive you make less calls, but still in the 100s range and they will talk to you if you're not making a certain amount of calls a week. I am not saying any of this is necessarily a BAD thing...just a heads up so you know what you're getting into. This is different than most Account Executive jobs. Friends of mine in sales might make 100 calls a week, not a day, and even that would still be a lot for them. A lot of people quit/get fired after 6 months because they just cannot handle the call volume. The turnover here is incredible. I think one person on the sales team quit/got fired every month I worked there. Life is kinda hard on the New Business team. There is (was?) one employee who kills it but everyone else pretty much struggles on a daily basis. JoVE has been hounding colleges and universities for YEARS so a lot of the good prospects already subscribe to JoVE or they are so turned off by JoVE’s sales tactics that they hang up on you immediately. I had a large well known university basically refer to our sales process as “bullying” and said that under no circumstance do they ever want to be contacted by us again. All the other schools are so small that they can hardly afford anything JoVE offers. It's a slow sales cycle and when you eventually make a sale it's SO small compared to the Subscription Team's commissions. It's pennies. The JoVE Journal is a really, really cool resource...the Science Education library? Not so much. Even the school's with unlimited subscriptions barley use the Science Education portion of it. I’ve looked at the numbers. Science Education is a cool product but not a necessary one. So getting a school to renew once they realize that no one uses the product can be hard. I wouldn't say that JoVE is a BAD place to work. I am just writing this review so people know what they are getting into because I wish I had known.

Advice to Management

I don't even know. I read a lot of reviews on here and I think things have changed since 2014/2015. I don’t think the CEO is a bully and I enjoyed my experiences with management. I would maybe change the quotas for New Business. Just because one of your employees can hit quota doesn’t mean it’s realistic.

JoVE2019-07-11

"Nice place to work. Smart people, positive vibe"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at JoVE full-time for more than a year

Pros

Like the headline says, smart people. Launching innovative new products, great benefits. Kind of place where you work 9-5 and leave, no home work or late night emails. People are laid back.

Cons

Some Managers are better than others. Work from home is starting to happen slowly in some departments, but it is not encouraged.

Advice to Management

Keep launching innovative new products. Develop a comprehensive work from home policy, or at least one on a department by department basis.

JoVE2019-06-04

"Needs to improve"

Current Employee - Sales in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at JoVE full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some nice people work here, casual dress code, lots of good food and drinks at weekly events.

Cons

micromanaging, bad senior management, unhappy employees. Uncertainty for your job. There is a reason there are so many bad reviews. Working at jove is like working inside a coffin because everyone there is so uptight and quiet and miserable (there are exceptions to this though). The sales department, at least, is probably about as depressing to work in as it would be to sit inside a funeral home all day. The senior managment likes to intimidate lower employees. Also, they make it look like people like working there and that there is an actual company culture by forcing you to take group photos. These group photos are staged, and probably half the people in the photo (likely more) are unhappy.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect! Realize that there are more than one way to do things. Sales managment especially (and you know who you are... i'm talking about one person in specific... and i'm so glad someone else mentioned this in another post because EVERYONE knows who this is about) STOP pacing in front of your employees and trying to intimidate them. No one is intimidated by you, you just come off as creepy.

JoVE2019-02-12

"Account manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at JoVE full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture and people. Amazing product and office. I truly enjoyed my time there.

Cons

not a lot of development on the sales team.

Advice to Management

try to use what you know to help and develop the employees rather than just pointing fingers and yell at them.

JoVE2019-01-07
  8. "Science Writer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at JoVE full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to work with highly educated people. They know about research and science!

Cons

You don't have your own work to present is kind of a downside if you miss going to conferences, or giving presentations.

JoVE2018-11-29

"Do not work here"

I have been working at JoVE full-time

Pros

Good healthcare. That is pretty much it.

Cons

Micromanaging. People seem unhappy here. The majority of negative reviews here speak for themselves. I mean, reading through most of these reviews, you will see that the positive reviews seem to be pretty cleary fake, possibly produced by HR. The negative reviews seem to touch on the same complaints. If you are considering working here, I advise you not to do so.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging, care more for your all of your employees and respect them more.

JoVE2018-12-27

"It’s great"

Former Employee - Contractor in Cambridge, MA

I worked at JoVE full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great people & culture - Free coffee - Visible CEO - Great people - Standing desks

Cons

None — loved everything!!! No cons

Advice to Management

Keep doing the good work!

JoVE2018-10-24