Jump Trading Employee Reviews about "smart people"

Updated Sep 7, 2020

Found 11 of over 163 reviews

4.5
Jump Trading COO Matt Schrecengost (no image)
Matt Schrecengost
Pros
  • "Cutting edge technology, hardworking and smart people(in 11 reviews)

• "Comfortable working environment allows you to be yourself and not worry about perceptions(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "work life balance is not that good(in 6 reviews)

• "Young work environment can contribute to pressure to work very long hours but then this is standard in this industry(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Finance

Join the conversation on

Finance

84.6K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/finance/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Jump Trading~251744
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "smart people"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Racial Discrimination Tendency Against Chinese In Some Teams

Sep 7, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cutting edge technology, hardworking and smart people.

Cons

I used to work with a medium size team, and the team lead seems to have discrimination tendency against foreign employees especially Chinese. One third people were forced to leave the team in the past two years and they are all foreign employees. Among them, seventy percents are Chinese.

27 people found this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great potential -but growth changed culture

Nov 13, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart people - state of the art tech - all resources available to be successful

Cons

more politics than you would expect for such a small firm. Firm wants people to be collaborative but the structure and compensation model destroys team based approach over time.

3 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0

Very very enjoyable experience

Dec 1, 2017 - Quantitative Research Intern in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice and smart people. Good benefit. The working environment is nice, and I always feel energetic when I was working in the firm.

Cons

Jump is already at the top of the HRT industry. So if comparing it within HRT industry I don't think there is any significant cons. But I think there do exist some cons for the HRT industry as a whole, that is the current market is very stable, which means there is less liquidity comparing with before. So the market for HRT is smaller now.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

positive overall experience

Nov 7, 2017 - Trader Trainee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment, smart people, good benefits

Cons

career mobility paths not always clear

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good place to work

Aug 24, 2015 - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Autonomy, smart people, interesting problems. Avoids some of the drama of other financial trading firms, owners have patience with new strategies.

Cons

There is a definite power-law for compensation, and inefficient "price-discovery" is required to ensure you're at market rate. Technical acumen of staff varies, from world-class to not so much, but headed in the right direction.

11 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Former Employee

Nice Firm, if you are in the team

Sep 20, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong technology, various resources, smart people

Cons

As a trader, your success strongly depends on the team you are in.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 5.0

Great place and people

Aug 29, 2015 - Software Engineer Intern in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart people, amazing infrastructure and good environment. Some of the best hardware/software stacks, focus on optimization and speed, and great engineers.

Cons

I have no cons at this time.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

A great environment for learning and doing cool things

Nov 1, 2014 - Algorithmic Trader Intern in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I did an internship over the summer as algorithmic trader in Chicago. Training and the program: They have a really nice and well-established program for algo-trader interns (although they are very flexible and open to suggestions): We had four weeks of classes on everything we needed to know. (Yes! We literally had classes and even homework for classes.) They taught us basic concepts in Finance and Trading, and provided a simulated environment for manual trading. We had classes on Python, C++, and R which I found useful. Then we were given adequate data and a two week opportunity for open-ended research. After that we had the chance to do rotations with two teams within Jump. Things I enjoyed about Jump: -The company structure is extremely flat. -Your suggestions will be heard and considered; they constantly ask for your feedback. -They care about training and education. -They provide really nice housing for the interns (for free). Our apartment had swimming pool on the roof. -They organized fun activities like boat-party, rooftop happy hour, picnic, and travel to a lake house. -And last but not least, there's free lunch every Friday and free snacks and fruits everyday. Overall, I'm really satisfied with my non-stop learning experience. If you like Stats and Machine Learning, if you love working in research style, if want to work in a casual atmosphere, and more importantly if you like to work with smart people, you should consider Jump Trading.

Cons

Although they are located in a nice building (with gym, free shuttles, ...) it's almost a food desert around there. So many employees prefer to order from Seamless and eat at their desk. In other words, there's usually no lunch break.

6 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

good place to work

May 7, 2014 - C++ Developer I in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fast paced, challenging. Working with smart people.

Cons

Limited grows opportunities. Little expose to business knowledge.

10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work for

Jan 29, 2014 - IT Department in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is great, surrounded by lots of smart people

Cons

Sometimes felt like they focused too much on finding the best talent and not on building good teams.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 11 Reviews