Kainos Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 20 March 2019

4.1
Brendan Mooney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible working policy is also available" (in 11 reviews)

• "Great people, great ethos, great future ahead" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Team-building is not a concept senior management understands except when it comes to their own jollies" (in 6 reviews)

• "Utilisation targets are high so you need to be happy spending a lot of time on customer site" (in 4 reviews)

"Excellent company - particularly if you travel."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Kainos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having worked there for almost 5 years, I can say it's a great company where they really care for your wellbeing and success. Meeting Brendan Mooney (MD), executive staff, or other senior staff on a day-to-day basis is normal. On most projects, the technology is relatively modern using modern technologies and tools. Pay is not the highest in the industry but the additional benefits we get are worth it. I’ve been in the fortunate position where I’ve worked across almost all of the business units and spent 4 years not travelling before requesting to travel for a project. I’m aware that a lot of people complain of the travelling however from my experience it is not necessary to travel; it is only if you choose to. If you agree to travel you will be treated well, typically in nice hotels and plenty of expenses as well as being reimbursed for being away from home. Further to this, if you are travelling for more than 3/4 days a week, Kainos will typically get you an apartment for you to stay and leave your things in (again with expenses). If you don’t want to travel then it is not required. From what I’ve seen, the people who complain about travel are the same who have not actually told their manager they are not comfortable with travelling.
    Overall I really recommend Kainos; particularly for people who know where they want their career to go.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Restructure the promotion process. I've seen too many people getting promoted (particularly from associate to senior) due to sheer tenure rather than actual ability. Stop the rapid growth of the company and hiring of people who are not up to Kainos' standards.

"Great culture, lower salary but with great benefits"

Current Employee - Devops Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Devops Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Kainos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Free shares
    - Healthcare plans
    - Great career coaching
    - Flexible when moving role

Cons

- Lower salaries than competitors

"Company"

I have been working at Kainos full-time

Pros

Friendly people
    Flexible working
    Opportunities to relocate
    Career coach
    Working with big companies

Cons

Constant changes in the management

4. "Best Company To Work For!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Kainos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- cares about employees
    - great projects
    - career growth opportunities

Cons

- can't see any

"Great place :)"

Current Employee - Test Automation Engineer
    Current Employee - Test Automation Engineer

I have been working at Kainos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing people
    Good compensation
    Reliable management
    Clear career path
    Awesome work life balance

Cons

As we are getting bigger we are inheriting more bureaucracy and sometimes it's just tiring :) also for some peeps frequent travelling might be hard as well :)

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people and listening to Ur already hired stuff

"Good place to boost your career"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at Kainos (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place for career advancement

Cons

there can be times when you are working off-site for long periods

"Worksmart - Don't fear the growing pains"

Current Employee - HCM Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - HCM Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Kainos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's often said that it's the people you work with but it really is the people you work with at Kainos. Whether that be management down to a graduate, you'll always be able to ask for help.

You'll be able to progress your career in a multitude of directions and be treated as an adult. I've previously worked in well known, multinational organisations. I found that I was micro managed and limited in what I could do and say in those environments. I can say that my experience in Kainos has been the exact opposite. I've been able to progress my career in the direction I want to, merely by letting management know my thoughts and working with my career coach to plot a successful path. I'm in control of my own workload as much as possible due to project timelines and constraints. If I need to change how or where I work for personal reasons it's supported, as long as it doesn't impact any deliverables I may have.

Kainos wants us to grow, in and out of the workplace. Specific training is actively encouraged, whether that be gaining additional Workday certifications, in house soft skills or a monetary gift each year via skills for you, to spend on anything you wish to learn.

Regular social activities, where else pays for some free drinks every month?

Cons

We've been a victim of our own success over the last while. This has led to a significant increase in the amount of projects we're being asked to deliver with working across multiple projects becoming more common. I know that this has been acknowledged by the BU and is being addressed, with increased recruitment but also increased recognition for those who are already at Kainos.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to staff feedback and ideas. This will ensure the Kainos culture of development, opportunity and growth for employees and the business alike is maintained while we move from being a small local IT player to an even more exciting future.

"Best company to work for."

I have been working at Kainos full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong sense of belonging
    Lots of autonomy
    Lots of opportunities to travel
    Lots of opportunities to learn new things and progress knowledge
    Fast pace movement on things that can be made better
    The ability to work from home/on the move is amazing
    The ability to just ask for support, even if that comes from Brendan Mooney, is so easy it makes the most stressful days great.
    Everybody meets Brendan on their induction and he makes a good effort to remember you after this. More than this he is a very involved guy, if he has any kind of free time or you see him about and think you need help ASK, he will do his best. Which I have never experienced in a company before.
    The people in Kainos are a specific type and it means that going to work everyday is enjoyable. I have met some of the smartest and most amazing people since starting here and it is safe to say Kainos goes out of their way to accept the brightest and the best.

Cons

A lot of arrogance in the company, takes away from the culture
    Sometimes a lot of "is not my problem" outlook

Advice to Management

Try to make sure the arrogance is eradicated from the company some people have an idea that due to the job they do, they have some special rights. This is massively out of line with the rest of Kainos culture.
    Also make it a little more clear as to what is required to progress to the next band.

"Strongly recommend and one of the best"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Kainos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong sense of belonging.
    Fresh Fruit, cereal and Tea/Coffee provided.
    Flexible working.
    Management is very good and generally looks out for the staff and customers.
    Variety of technology used, meaning a better opportunity to learn more.
    Ability to side-step roles within the company.
    Travel opportunity if required.
    Can self-promote to Senior Engineer Level.
    CEO is brilliant and keeps everyone up to date.
    Would strongly recommend to anyone and have to friends who have joined and thought the same :)

Cons

None that I have come across.

Advice to Management

Remember to always be honest with the staff as this will go along way.

"WorkSmart - Hard work but worth it!"

I have been working at Kainos full-time

Pros

People always say the best thing about their work is the people they work with but at Kainos its true! I work with some outstanding people. Thats important to me as the company is growing at such a pace I'm often asked to do things that are "outside my comfort zone". Sure thats difficult but my team and managers are generally supportive. I've also been promoted twice now! so I must be doing something right!

Cons

My manager could be clearer about the opportunities that are out there for me! For example the leadership team talk often about secondment opportunities but there is no clear process for applying. That could be much much better. Our policies and procedures seem archaic compared to some of the customers I've worked with.

Advice to Management

I like the recent changes - I feel that we are once again putting people at the centre of the business. There is still work to be done in terms of clearer communication about the opportunities for me and our processes but that doesn't seem like a difficult task to complete - perhaps needs more prioritisation? Can't wait for the new office in Belfast!