Kainos "flexible working" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Kainos Employee Reviews about "flexible working"

Updated 25 Sep 2019

4.0
Kainos CEO Brendan Mooney (no image)
Brendan Mooney
Pros
  • "Great place to work overall with great people who are understanding of personal circumstances(in 15 reviews)

• "Flexible working policy is also available(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Belfast is booming and many new American based companies coming in are simply paying far more(in 14 reviews)

• "Currently growing at a massive rate and due to this is experiencing growing pains, but the company has acknowledged this and is acting on it(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "flexible working"

Return to all Reviews

"Room for a lot of improvement"

Current Employee - Senior PMO Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Kainos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits Flexible working Most people are supportive

Cons

Poor salary in comparison to other technology companies in the same location

Advice to Management

Credit where credit is due - know what a person does before setting their salary

Kainos2019-09-25

"not equal employer - wants monkeys who follow blindly the 'orders'"

Former Employee - Irrelevant in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at Kainos full-time for less than a year

Pros

flexible working - inclusive of working from home which is more encourage when you are sick - do not agree with working form home when you not fit to work at all

Cons

unhealthy working environment - secretive and discriminating and it comes from the top, 'friends club', lacking transparency in every people process, double standards applies - different rules for different employees, rules are made on the go Company wants young inexperienced people who are easy to manipulate and manage. if you have your own minds and can think independently you will never fit working... standards are low in some departments more than others the Company has great opinion on the job market, but my experience is completely different - just the opposite lack of knowledge and ignorance is a excuse for doing things wrong, but the worst is choice being made not to fix it... good guys are pushed out, its easier than deal with inability to do right things. the morale are so down for most employees, that is not even anymore worth talking to managers Absolutely nothing is being done, just an opposite. if you are honest you better keep quiet if you have nowhere to go to.... The honestly is not welcomed and teh constructive feedback is being silenced before goes higher in hierarchy. Department I worked in was very discriminating and secretive to ensure people are not aware of Company knowingly doing things wrong. Only man are considered as specialists - woman must prove herself, and often even that the attitude or approach does not change.... this is probably one of the most unequal employers I have ever worked for.

Advice to Management

be honest and open listen and act

Kainos2019-08-24

"Company"

I have been working at Kainos full-time

Pros

Friendly people Flexible working Opportunities to relocate Career coach Working with big companies

Cons

Constant changes in the management

Kainos2019-03-02

"Strongly recommend and one of the best"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Kainos full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong sense of belonging. Fresh Fruit, cereal and Tea/Coffee provided. Flexible working. Management is very good and generally looks out for the staff and customers. Variety of technology used, meaning a better opportunity to learn more. Ability to side-step roles within the company. Travel opportunity if required. Can self-promote to Senior Engineer Level. CEO is brilliant and keeps everyone up to date.... Would strongly recommend to anyone and have to friends who have joined and thought the same :)

Cons

None that I have come across.

Advice to Management

Remember to always be honest with the staff as this will go along way.

Kainos2018-09-23

"Best Company To Work For !!"

Former Employee - Senior Test Automation Engineer in London, England

I worked at Kainos full-time for more than a year

Pros

No doubt Kainos is the best company to work for in many aspects as mentioned below and I personally enjoyed my time here : - Employee friendly, policies are very good - Managers are very good and very supportive - Benefits are excellent, you will love it and far better than other company's in London, UK - Flexible working hours and work from home facility - Excellent projects and impressive client base -... People here are very supportive and easily reachable. Very transparent and if required you can reach out to anybody in the company - Frequent team outing and drinks - Monthly pay day drinks- company sponsored - If you are travelling everything will be taken care by company - Sponsored trainings and frequent in-house trainings arranged. Also you can ask for external trainings and it will be approved if you can showcase the benefits out of it. There are many more ...

Cons

You might have to travel if from your base location depending on projects availability.

Advice to Management

Kainos has excellent & high profile customer base in Govt. sector. Management should try hard to get into private sector as well. Also need more focus on project's related to Data Analytics, AI , Data Science etc.

Kainos2018-02-21

"Comfortably the best place I’ve worked in to date"

Current Employee - Delivery Manager in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Kainos full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are what make this firm and is something the senior management are acutely aware of. They really focus on what the person wants to do and will assist them in their personal and professional goals where they generally align. You will never hear people being referred to as “resources” - they are “people” or “team mates” - I really like this. Everyone’s opinion matters and will be listened to despite the... firm being over 1k people in size. I that the Senior Team seem to know everyone by their first name. The CEO makes a point of coming and introducing himself to every new start. The work is varied - there is huge range of projects on the go of varying complexities and sizes. You can get involved in work that interests you fairly quickly - if a project doesn’t float your boat you can usually find one that does. There is a big emphasis on work life balance - 3 days on client site is not uncommon. With the potential for week on week off working sometimes happening but this more often depends on the client’s appetite. Flexible working policy is also available. Some roles can be solely locally based and this is always made clear to you if your role is a traveling one or not. The place has a feeling of a family run business but with a truly global reach. Everyone just gets on along well and want to do a good job. My manager is really supportive of me and my career but this appears to run all the way to the top. Some of the reviews talk about a hierarchy, yes there are titles but these are just titles and I’ve not experienced or witnessed any hierarchical culture - No “do what I saw because” Operates a no blame culture. Good emphasis on training and investment in people. The salary and benefits package is reasonable - who wouldn’t want more! I feel it is reflective generally for the work and location.

Cons

Kainos continues to grow quickly and to grow quickly the senior team will have to start letting go of certain areas to allow the business to grow. I think there are inroads happening in this space but that usually means there will be the odd mistake. Hopefully the focus remains on the people.

Advice to Management

Hand off more work to allow the business to grow quicker - people will get things wrong but it’s usually recoverable. This is also how you get your future leaders to learn by doing rather than instruction. Continue to keep the focus on people.

Kainos2017-12-17

"Nicest colleagues I have every worked with - pity about the management"

Current Employee - Workday Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Kainos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The level of autonomy, my colleagues and the flexible working hours.

Cons

The management changes that have occurred in the Workday business unit in the past year - Kainos is going from being an utterly unique company to work for to a typical Northern Ireland company where the staff are resources and nothing more.

Advice to Management

Roll back the senior management changes - we have lost so many talented people, we are going to lose more unless a comprehensive examination of the management structure and their attitude to the workforce is done. Mediocre salaries were accepted when we had a great working atmosphere, as that atmosphere gets eroded - talented people are leaving and things just look bleak.

Kainos2017-08-11

August 15, 2017Managing Director

Thank-you for taking the time to provide your feedback (all of your feedback). I agree with your assessment of our colleagues, they are a great bunch of people to work with. From when people start in Kainos we encourage people to share knowledge and support each other in their current and future roles (we also provide lots of opportunities for people to spend time together in non-work situations, but having fun is not compulsory ;-) ). I'm surprised about your comments on the senior team in the Workday part of our business - it's been a pretty stable team for quite a long period of time. As always, I'm not disputing your experience and I will look into your comments; and as always, I would encourage you to raise your concerns directly with me, or with any of our colleagues in the People team. Brendan

"An Exciting company"

Current Employee - Undiclosed in London, England

I have been working at Kainos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Excellent intelligent and social teams. I've worked with hundreds of people and these are truly the best in the business. - Great senior management. Some of the best professionals and managers i've worked with. All levels within the company are approachable and you can happily socialise with outside of work. There isn't the social hierarchy which you may see within other companies. - An expanding company... with some great, exciting opportunities. - They listen. This is why i'm writing this. Kainos actively ask you for ideas and suggestions and will listen to what you have to say. Which I appreciate is extremely difficult in a company which is growing to 1000 employees. - Great Culture and Values (However this can be a con, mentioned below). - Generous holiday allowance. - You never know what is around the corner. With opportunities coming in constantly at Kainos, you do not know what project or which location you may be working in next. This may prove difficult for some however. - An encouraging recent drive on charity work and donations allowing employees to take leave to attend charity events every year. - Flexible working depending on your project and management.

Cons

- Failure to utilise peoples skill-sets. - New starts & recruitment - I applied for the same role as some of my colleagues when we joined Kainos at the same time and was surprised to find that i joined in at a junior level, despite having the same experience. If this was made clear when I got the job offer, I would probably not have taken the job given that I have 7 years industry experience and joined from a... management position. - Career management and promotions seem to be a box ticking exercise. Promotion applications go to a senior management who do not necessarily see your day to day work and therefore you have to word a promotion application to fit the role you are applying for. Alternatively, even if you are doing a job well and have been recommended for promotion by your colleagues and management, this will be rejected if you do not complete the form correctly. - The career path, despite moving into a lattice that allows people to move into a variety of new roles, still appears to be a set ladder for you to go up and if you do not see yourself as a part of this ladder, you can feel you've hit a dead end with nowhere to go. - Growing Pains. Kainos are still an expanding company and as they continue to grow globally, they need to look more into how best to arrange travel and compensate those wishing to work away from home for long period of time. - The 'Kainos way' and culture can be difficult to understand and imbed yourself into if you have not come from Queens University and for those who have worked for much larger organisations. This is especially the case if you are not based out of Belfast. - Benefits system is limited. We use an online co-operate service that provides benefits to a number of companies so these benefits are rarely specific to employees at Kainos. - Expenses - For younger colleagues without access to credit, sometimes spending large sums of money each month can cause some difficulty for them. Kainos are actively pursuing new ways of managing this however and do have a Travel team which will pay in advance for your travel to customer locations and accommodation.

Advice to Management

Sorry about the Cons outweighing the pro's here! It's important to know that I value working for Kainos and would always strongly recommend anyone to come and join us at this amazing company. I am hoping that we can learn from some of the frustrations which myself and some fellow colleagues have encountered during our time here, which is my reasoning behind this review. There are no easy answers to alot of the... cons that i've given. But some advice that I could think of from the top of my head. My advice to management: - Promotional process needs to be looked at, I understand we've just gone through changing alot of this so that the onus is on the employee, however there must be a better way to do things than what we are presently. - You have some great experienced people working for you, read their CV's and see what they could do that may make them happier and benefit the business. We have an internal Kainos CV system that seems to be ignored. - With a huge presence in Belfast now, it seems surprising that we do not have our own dedicated benefits package with local business's. My previous employers have negotiated some great deals for their staff with local restaurants / hotels etc. - Expanding the culture outside of Belfast is a really tough one to manage within budget. The only time that you may see some of your colleagues in the year could be the yearly kick-off, which is an enjoyable event. So now real advice here, i'll leave that to the experts. Maybe the Summer BBQ could be a joint event (Love how you still call it a BBQ as if the weather is ever suitable in Belfast!)?

Kainos2017-03-15

May 8, 2017Managing Director

That's a really impressive set of feedback - thank-you for taking to consider the feedback to provide such comprehensive comments. And I much prefer to hear about the things that we can do better than hear about the things we are doing well (don't get me wrong, I do like the 'good stuff' as well!) Last year we had 203 people who were promoted - that's not to say that the process is as good as it needs to be. I know that we have made changes to the process in the past weeks and I would really like to hear your experience after these changes - perhaps you could chat that over with me? And as for BBQ weather in Belfast? We've not been lucky on that front over the past couple of years! Thanks again for all your feedback. Brendan

"Great people, challenging work and honest company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Kainos full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I started my career on placement with Kainos and was hired following completion of my final year. In just under 5 years I have gone on the a senior role. Within my team I have genuinely made some of my best friends, and this is in thanks to Kainos' sense of culture and values. With regular social opportunities, Kainos employees are able to get to know their fellow employees with Kainos picking up the bill.... The work I've completed has been challenging and rewarding and has pushed me to go out of my comfort zone. I've also been able to travel (and to go against what many reviews are saying - not travel if I don't want to!). Personally I've travelled internally in the UK, and also to Poland and USA, so the opportunity is definitely there should you want it. Kainos, for the most part, is very open with it's employees. Regular company webinars are held, as well as Friday blog posts to keep everyone updated on what going on. And I believe it's this honest nature that trickles down to it's staff and makes us successful. I've been involved for some rough lows, and some great highs and I can say they're all handled super professionally and openly. Great holidays and lot's of employee treats. - Free tea & coffee - Regular cake and buns (almost too regular) - Free fruit - Free social drinks nights - Great location for lunches - Summer BBQ & Christmas Dinner - Flexible working hours 8-10 to 4-6 - Working from home options - Loads of free supplies - Personal laptop and bag

Cons

Although this is being worked on as the company grows, but the career progression system can be a bit tricky. This has recently changed to be self-claimed so we will see how this fairs, but previously for myself it required a lot of jumping through hoops for the sake of checking off a box in the job spec, rather than the employee's career and reputation being analysed. The pay isn't quite up there with some other... IT companies

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work! Keep an eye out on the little guys, some of best ideas come from driven young talent that are passionate to get going in their career.

Kainos2016-09-29

May 8, 2017Managing Director

Thank you for taking the time to post this super-detailed feedback! Every year since the company started (which was 1987) we have hired young people starting their careers in technology - there are a lot of us who joined as graduates. This remains as important for us today as in did in 1987 - over 80 young people joined this year from school/college and almost 25% of the entire company is aged under 25. That's not to say we have everything right - so please tell us about anything that we could be doing better. Thank you again for all the feedback. Brendan

"One of the best"

Current Employee - Manager in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Kainos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible working hours Relaxed work atmosphere Decent salary (reviewed annually to increase) Freedom to self manage Share options Career coach separate to day to day manager

Cons

Not many. Parking is a big problem in Belfast - Would really prefer an office move based around access for those who travel significant distances where public transport is not an option, or some form of subsidised parking?

Advice to Management

Keep er lit :)

Kainos2016-06-02

June 28, 2016Managing Director

It's great to get feedback and it is good to see that we are getting a number of things right. I'm overdue in posting an update to the company about property - I will do that now - but unfortunately it is unlikely to bring good news about additional car parking spaces - that is the challenge of a city-centre location. Thanks again for the feedback. Brendan

Found 121 reviews