84% would recommend to a friend
(44 total reviews)
81% approve of CEO
The latest conversations about Tech
14 hours ago
How to beat the sedentary life... when your job requires you to be sedentary? I work long hours, high pressure, etc. Average 10h a day, often more. It's just the result of working in projects with high intensity short deadlines. Time I rest is time I have to make up for later. There are many days where I finish at night and all day I've only moved from my desk to the kitchen and to the bathroom. Needless to say this is very unhealthy. How do you all beat this?
Got a burning question about Kaluza? Just ask!
On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Kaluza employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "great people to work with" (in 8 reviews)
- "Awesome culture, product, and people." (in 6 reviews)
- "very personable management as well" (in 3 reviews)
- "Fantastic rewards (cycle to work, flexible bank holidays, flex pay) and potential for end of year bonus" (in 3 reviews)
- "Good work life balance" (in 3 reviews)
Found 44 of over 47 reviews
Updated 16 Nov 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 4.0FEATURED REVIEW30 Jan 2023Energy SpecialistCurrent Employee
Focused on inclusion and diversity Really care about net zero
Can be somewhat chaotic Can be reactive2Kaluza Response7mo
Thanks for your 4* review. Diversity & Inclusion and sustainability are at the core of our company so it's excellent to see those listed as pros. We're in a period of growth at the moment which can feel quite intense at times. If you ever need support, please reach out to your manager or People Partner who can help to make sure you have a great time working for Kaluza.
- 5.016 Nov 2023Senior Product ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsLondon, England
Awesome culture, product, and people. Super flexible work culture. Great managers, lot of support to learn and grow.
Pay is not great. B2B2C is not for everyone, PMs can end up doing a lot of delivery depending on where they sit in the business. Hard to break into product leadership
- 3.025 Aug 2023Software EngineerCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearLondon, England
- Very flexible. You can come into the office as little or as often as you want with in person events only once every few months - Fairly modern tech stack. While not all teams use it, functional programming with cats-effect is quite fun
- As Kaluza transitions from a department of OVO to a fully fledged SaaS business there are some growing pains, with quite a bit of tech debt in older parts of the system. While this is improving, I feel that much of my day is split between meetings and TOIL. Talking to people in other parts of the org, it is discouraging how few people are happy with the services they own - Pay is below market - While it's fine among fellow devs, when communicating with people in management the culture is very "corporate"3Kaluza Response2mo
Thank you for your feedback. Flexible working and a healthy work-life balance is built into our DNA so it's great to see that listed as a pro. We’re going through a period of high growth and change at the moment which can feel overwhelming at times and we’ve put support in place to help with this. We don’t always get it right, but over the last few months we’ve spent a lot of time fine-tuning our processes and how we're setup as an org, and we’ll continue to develop these. If you'd like to provide any more feedback, please reach out to your People Leader or People Partner.
- 5.030 Oct 2023Software EngineerCurrent Employee, more than 1 year
Niche tech, flexible working, good employee benefits
Fast paced environment, the only thing constant is changes
- 2.030 Jan 2023Product ManagerFormer Employee
-Great place to cut your teeth and be immersed in a fast paced, hard working and challenging environment -The people. Many passionate, smart and inspiring people work here, many sold on the mission, contribute to tackling climate change. -The culture is now quite good, but used to be *amazing*. -The perks are competitive.
-Aside from the EV part of the org - which is tiny by comparison to the energy retail platform - there's no actual climate change efforts happening beyond lots of waffle and circular logic, branding. Challenging this doesn't go well in my experience. Most staff are too burned out to spend too much time considering this. Those who do... Leave. -Energy as an industry isn't very attractive to investors right now. -Workload is very high. Major, quite fanciful commitments are made to clients by leadership. Meanwhile our CEO asks everyone to work harder, states some teams are slacking despite internal surveys consistently reporting workloads are unmanageable. -The CEO, who is energetic and a very motivational speaker, is manically focused on making the company a success before there's no more runway. The flip side of this is he's proving toxic for the company culture and making it an unpleasant place to work.9Kaluza Response10mo
Thank you for your review, your feedback is really valuable to us. We do have lots of amazing people at Kaluza who are all striving to achieve our mission of building the platform that will accelerate a sustainable, affordable and resilient energy transition - which is no easy feat. We’re sorry to hear that you think we’re greenwashing as it’s something we firmly stand against. Sustainability is at the heart of Kaluza and we’ve committed to doing our part and holding ourselves accountable through our sustainability plan, Mission Transition (https://www.kaluza.com/mission-transition/). Everything we do across our Energy Retail Product and Flex Product ensures we’re getting closer to hitting achieving our mission of: 1. Becoming a carbon negative company by 2030 2. Building the platform that energy retailers need to transform their business and accelerate net-zero for everyone Achieving this is extremely important to us - we know it’s a big challenge but it’s one that we’re excited to take on. Taking on such a big mission will always come with a few bumps in the road, and there’s no denying we’ve been through a lot of change over the last couple of years. We’ve moved from operating within a much bigger company, to becoming our very own agile scale up and we know that can feel unsettling, so we’ve put support in place to help our people navigate their way through it. Finally, a healthy work-life balance is our priority. Over the last couple of years we’ve introduced fully flexible working, launched our enhanced dependent leave which includes an extra 10 paid days holiday for emergencies, extended sickness and compassionate leave and more. You can also access 24 hour wellbeing support via our Employee Assistance Programme and Private Medical Insurance. If you’d like to give any more feedback, we’d love to hear from you, just contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4.019 Sept 2023Associate Principal DesignerCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearLondon, England
• Great vision, mission, people, culture • Humble and smart colleagues, strong collaborative environment • Focus on personal growth + development and caring management
• Low-ish salary for industry • Slow at listening to feedback for key roles and hires1Kaluza Response2mo
Thank you for your positive feedback!
- 2.030 Aug 2023Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee, more than 1 yearBristol, England
Engineers are excellent and the texh and tools mature yet modern.
Leadership is misguided and the disruption on industry is minimal / non-existent. Middle management too busy playing political games. Solution overly complex and hard to work on / with which has formed silos2Kaluza Response2mo
Thanks for leaving us a review. It’s great to hear that you liked working with our engineers and tech stack. We’re sorry to hear that your experience at Kaluza hasn’t been great. We want to make sure that everyone feels supported and guided by strong People Leaders. To help with this all of our People Leaders go on a Leadership Development programme, ensuring a consistent, high standard of leadership across Kaluza. If you’d like to give any more feedback, we’d love to hear from you, just contact email@example.com.
- 5.022 Sept 2023Software EngineerCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsLondon, England
Incredible people Good management Interesting domain You count as a person
Sometimes understaffed It takes time to get promotions for various bureaucratic processes.1Kaluza Response2mo
Thanks so much for your 5* review. We're so pleased you think we're an amazing company to work for!
- 5.09 Aug 2023Product SpecialistCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearBristol, England
- Pay - Benefits - Work - Social -Leadership
- Inconsistent amounts of work depending on business activityKaluza Response4mo
Thanks for your 5* review!
- 5.021 Jul 2023Software EngineerCurrent EmployeeEdinburgh, Scotland
A lot of smart people and good company culture
Not much to say hereKaluza Response4mo
Thank you for your 5* review!
Kaluza Reviews FAQs
Kaluza has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5, based on over 47 reviews left anonymously by employees. 84% of employees would recommend working at Kaluza to a friend and 66% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -7% over the last 12 months.
84% of Kaluza employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Kaluza 4.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.3 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.