Kaplan International Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 12 November 2018

3.2
David Jones

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Diversity- students and colleagues from around the world" (in 6 reviews)

• "There are some really nice people to work with" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pay could be higher for a job that requires a Bachelors, more opportunities for full-time work" (in 12 reviews)

• "Additionally, inspections create a lot more work and will eat into work-life balance significantly" (in 6 reviews)

"Great place to work offering premium courses to students"

I have been working at Kaplan International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diverse, fun and overall great environment.
    You are always treated with respect and listened to.
    Very good career opportunities, people who work hard, demonstrates talent and are willing to take on extra challenges very often have the opportunity to step up and do so.
    Communication and transparency are a big part of the company culture. I'd never worked for a company that is so transparent about its plans, strategy and financial achievements before joining Kaplan.
    Students always come first and get the best possible experience (again never worked for a company with such high recommendation rates before!)

Cons

Unfortunately the TEFL business in general is not doing well at the moment, so the company is still going through rough times. This can and sometimes has an impact on staff morale.

19 Oct 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review Kaplan International English (KIE) as a place to work. I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying your work at KIE. You are not alone in citing the diversity... More

"Amazing Company to work for"

Current Employee - Principal in Bournemouth, England
    Current Employee - Principal in Bournemouth, England

I have been working at Kaplan International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working for Kaplan International a little bit more than 4 years now; and the experience has been very positive
    I have more than 15 years of experience in the EFL Industry; I worked for different EFL organisations and I have to say that Kaplan is the best company by far to work for.
    The Senior Management combines a great deal of professionals who share strong values and offers you a lot of support, flexibility and understanding.
    Another positive side is the staff in Head office and at school level , we are from different parts of the world but we have the same vision , love and enthusiasm for what we do.
    I would recommend Kaplan International as an employer to anyone who would like to have the possibility of a successful career and the support and training to achieve it

Cons

I don't have any cons

Advice to Management

No advice to Management

3. "Science tutor"

I have been working at Kaplan International part-time

Pros

Good place to work and in the heart of London

Cons

Limited progression although salaries are good

Advice to Management

They should visit more often

"Lively, international company"

I have been working at Kaplan International full-time

Pros

Massively international, young workforce, with the large majority hailing from continental Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and Asia

Supportive colleagues, and a greater than normal amount of teamwork between departments

Transparent management, sharing the company’s plans. Supportive, long-term view from the parent company

Recently refurbished offices

Thriving social life

Cons

English language tuition is highly dependent on global politics and economics. Like the rest of the ELT industry, Kaplan is constantly battling with currency fluctuations, immigration law changes, diplomatic tiffs and the state of the world economy. The company is improving but politicians don’t make things easy!

Office location in west London is only 10 minutes from Earls Court and Kensington High Street, but is not as central as some locations

Advice to Management

Stick at the changes you’ve made in the past year, and keep involving the rest of the team

19 Oct 2018

"Great company, 100% committed to its customers/ partners"

I worked at Kaplan International full-time

Pros

Great people
    Commitment to customers/ partners is absolute
    Vision is well communicated and shared / bought into by majority of staff

Cons

Decision making can be unnecessarily slow and 'committee based' - structured as and acts like a public sector body, whilst being in private ownership
    Lots of internal politics/ power struggles
    Work / life balance can be challenging at all levels

Advice to Management

Listen more to people who are experts in their area. Don't assume because you're paid more, you know better.

21 Oct 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review Kaplan International English (KIE) as a place to work. You note some of the positive aspects of working at KIE. I share your opinion that the people who work... More

"Poor management and Sessional tutors treated like disposable employees"

Former Employee - Seasonal Tutor
    Former Employee - Seasonal Tutor

I worked at Kaplan International part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great place to gain teaching experience especially with International students
    - Very multicultural
    - Sense of camaraderie with other Sessional tutors
    - Encouraged to add to the material being taught
    - Some wonderful and respectful students
    - Hourly pay is good
    - You may be offered to teach other modules besides the one you applied for if you're qualified

Cons

- Zero training offered to Sessional tutors
    - Low hours (from as little as six hours a week)
    - Management don't take you seriously unless it involves a student
    - No guarantee you'll be employed the following semester
    - Sessional tutors are not given any office or personal space. No real PC access to do work so we end up working in empty classrooms so very little if at all any time to get to know other staff.
    - There is no set curriculum being followed in many of the subjects modules. The subject material is a giant mess of all the previous material produced by previous sessional tutors smashed into one. Some of the material is shockingly low quality and outdated.
    - There is a high turnover of sessional staff so they are more concerned with filling the gap in teaching rather than the quality of their tutors. I constantly heard complaints from students about terrible teaching quality from the new hires.
    - Asking for help regarding the modules you will be teaching will always be fruitless. The only time I received feedback on anything was when I submitted exam papers for review from an external examiner.
    - As sessional staff you won't be invited to any Kaplan organized events so further perpetuating the sense of isolation from all other staff.
    - Management don't value your hard work, you're just another disposable tutor in their eye. When full-time teaching positions come up in your department they won't promote you out of "fairness" but management are promoting their friends into position all the time.
    - It took them nearly a month to finally give me access to my work email but only few days to remove it once they decided not to rehire me for the following semester. I lost emails, contact details for of other tutors and students. Would not reinstate access even for a brief period because of "company policy". I also missed a job opportunity because of this.

Advice to Management

Show some respect and value your sessional tutors. Listen to their concerns and act on it, don't just pretend that you care and hope we won't be around long enough to expect changes.

"Depressing & waste of good resource"

I worked at Kaplan International full-time

Pros

Multicultural environment & et to meet people of different nationalities. Great camaraderie between junior & middle level employees.

Cons

Horribly managed organisation. Highly biased managers & senior staff with large scale favouritism rampant at all levels. Closed to change and new ideas. Office facilities is poor in London and very little focus on bettering it.

19 Oct 2018

Thank you for your feedback on working at Kaplan International English (KIE.) One of the priorities of the management team aims to reinvent the company culture to one in which honest feedback, no... More

"Avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Kaplan International (More than a year)

Pros

Multicultural staff, people from all around the world speaking their own languages and sharing their culture.

Cons

• Toxic office atmosphere detrimental to mental health
    • Betrayal, back stabbing, lies and fakery delivered with a smile
    • Zero concern for mental health of employees
    • Zero policy or interest in developing support for mental health
    • HR do not care about employees, they look after themselves and the top few
    • Verbal screaming abuse allowed openly in office with zero repercussions
    • Zero interest in professional management or competency within roles
    • Promotions based on how much one can suck up with the top people not on merit and least of all on actual experience
    • Management doesn’t want help from staff, they dictate and abuse creating stressed out, frustrated and resentful staff
    • High staff turnover because of the toxic environment and crap pay
    • Zero knowledge in modern work processes.
    • Zero interest in innovative modern design and photography
    • Zero respect for your craft as a copy writer, designer, artworker or creative of any kind
    • Management know nothing about design and don’t care to
    • Zero interest in learning new ways or implementing new processes
    • Outsources important work wasting department budgets
    • Egos of inner circle ‘clique’ staff reign supreme in business decisions regardless of best outcomes, actually determines worst outcomes
    • Any attempt at trying to make positive changes will have you shut down, abused and forced out - despite them being in your job description
    • Undercurrent of coercive personal harassment allowed by HR and beaten in court should you wish to take it further
    • Manipulation and bullying done in fake ‘1 to 1’ catch ups under the guise of catch ups
    • Gross incompetence and negligence from the top down.
    • Juniors underpaid and left to clean up messes by upper management
    • No actual professional tone of voice document for any written collateral, which leads to endless issues for copywriters, overworked, picked to pieces and underpaid
    • Atrocious employee perks, all corners cut and kept to the lowest standard possible
    • No onsite canteen
    • Awful location next to huge motorway billowing out exhaust fumes all day

Advice to Management

• One day the way you treat staff will catch up with you.
    • Keep lying, covering up and pretending everything is transparent to staff, because the industry knows how unprofessional you truly are.

19 Oct 2018

Thank you for the feedback in your employee review. As one of Kaplan International English’s (KIE) priorities, the management team is working hard to reinvent the company culture to one in which... More

"Overworked, undervalued"

Current Employee - Programmer Leader
    Current Employee - Programmer Leader

I have been working at Kaplan International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Open to change and new ideas

Cons

Unrealistic expectations with little support

15 Oct 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review Kaplan International English (KIE) as a place to work. I appreciate reading that you find that KIE is open to new ideas and change. The management team of KIE... More

"Poor management & too much friends favouritism"

Current Employee - Marketing Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Marketing Executive in London, England

I have been working at Kaplan International (More than a year)

Pros

international and very friendly staff

Cons

- too much friends favouritism, there's a group who will always be on the spotlight and get rewarded for the hard work done by others
    - poor management, as people get promoted to senior positions based on favouritism, there's a huge lack of proper management skills
    - this "mafia" is killing the company. KIE has a strong brand, a great product but struggles to succeed due to the wrong mindset of the "staff mafia"

Advice to Management

- Start monitoring performance and give the opportunity to the right, hard working members of staff.
    - Fire the latino mafia

10 Oct 2018