Kaplan International Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 2 April 2019

3.4
David Jones

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Exciting to meet amazing people from around the world" (in 6 reviews)

• "I have been working for Kaplan International a little bit more than 4 years now; and the experience has been very positive" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pay could be higher for a job that requires a Bachelors, more opportunities for full-time work" (in 12 reviews)

• "Additionally, inspections create a lot more work and will eat into work-life balance significantly" (in 6 reviews)

"A great place to work"

I have been working at Kaplan International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Diverse colleagues and students from all over the world and events that echo this organised in the office.
    - Opportunities for development and growth for those willing to work hard.
    - A genuine obsession for customer satisfaction! It's not enough to be rated 'good' by students. At all levels, Kaplan truly strives to ensure all customers have an excellent experience and take on board all feedback.
    - Transparency and honesty from SMT about overall business strategy and goals which are communicated to all levels of the business.
    - A constantly evolving and adaptive company that is responds to change (this could also be a con for those who prefer more routine).
    - An extremely supportive culture - ideas are listened to and encouraged, and people are made to feel valued. Managers genuinely care about the people in the business and support them in their careers.

Cons

- The ELT sector isn't for the faint hearted, especially in the current climate. Geopolitical factors mean that it's harder for language schools to operate than ever, which means the business has had to make difficult decisions over the last year to adapt and survive when many others haven't. Redundancies never sit well, and staff morale has naturally suffered as a result of these difficult decisions.
    - Working at Kaplan, even before these wider challenges, is hard work. No two days are the same and change is inevitable. You may have a to-do list for the day that you have to completely abandon because something else has happened which you need to react to (this could also be a pro for those who like change).
    - The seasonality of the business means that summer is the peak season, which means that time off can be harder to come by. In these busier times, you may be required to work overtime.

Advice to Management

The transparency of our business plan really is appreciated by staff - please continue to keep us updated on our progress. Stay on track with the current plan - it will make the tough times worth it. Invest wisely in the coming year and continue recognising the efforts of staff in these tougher times.

"Marketing Executive"

Former Employee - Marketing Executive in London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing Executive in London, England

I worked at Kaplan International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic culture, international team, great office facilities.

Cons

No clear career progression structure, few opportunities for promotion, lack of strategy on the top level.

3. "Overall happy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Kaplan International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great health care benefits for staff

Cons

Turnover comes in large waves

Advice to Management

Create a mentor program within the company

"Amazing Company to work for"

Current Employee - Principal in Bournemouth, England
    Current Employee - Principal in Bournemouth, England

Pros

I have more than 15 years of experience in the EFL Industry; I worked for different EFL organisations and I have to say that Kaplan is the best company by far to work for.
    The Senior Management combines a great deal of professionals who share strong values and offers you a lot of support, flexibility and understanding.
    Another positive side is the staff in Head office and at school level , we are from different parts of the world but we have the same vision , love and enthusiasm for what we do.
    I would recommend Kaplan International as an employer to anyone who would like to have the possibility of a successful career and the support and training to achieve it

Cons

I don't have any cons

Advice to Management

No advice to Management

5. "Science tutor"

I have been working at Kaplan International part-time

Pros

Good place to work and in the heart of London

Cons

Limited progression although salaries are good

Advice to Management

They should visit more often

"Great place to work offering premium courses to students"

I have been working at Kaplan International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diverse, fun and overall great environment.
    You are always treated with respect and listened to.
    Very good career opportunities, people who work hard, demonstrates talent and are willing to take on extra challenges very often have the opportunity to step up and do so.
    Communication and transparency are a big part of the company culture. I'd never worked for a company that is so transparent about its plans, strategy and financial achievements before joining Kaplan.
    Students always come first and get the best possible experience (again never worked for a company with such high recommendation rates before!)

Cons

Unfortunately the TEFL business in general is not doing well at the moment, so the company is still going through rough times. This can and sometimes has an impact on staff morale.

19 Oct 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review Kaplan International English (KIE) as a place to work. I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying your work at KIE. You are not alone in citing the diversity... More

"Lively, international company"

I have been working at Kaplan International full-time

Pros

Massively international, young workforce, with the large majority hailing from continental Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and Asia

Supportive colleagues, and a greater than normal amount of teamwork between departments

Transparent management, sharing the company’s plans. Supportive, long-term view from the parent company

Recently refurbished offices

Thriving social life

Cons

English language tuition is highly dependent on global politics and economics. Like the rest of the ELT industry, Kaplan is constantly battling with currency fluctuations, immigration law changes, diplomatic tiffs and the state of the world economy. The company is improving but politicians don’t make things easy!

Office location in west London is only 10 minutes from Earls Court and Kensington High Street, but is not as central as some locations

Advice to Management

Stick at the changes you’ve made in the past year, and keep involving the rest of the team

19 Oct 2018

"Poor management and Sessional tutors treated like disposable employees"

Former Employee - Seasonal Tutor
    Former Employee - Seasonal Tutor

I worked at Kaplan International part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great place to gain teaching experience especially with International students
    - Very multicultural
    - Sense of camaraderie with other Sessional tutors
    - Encouraged to add to the material being taught
    - Some wonderful and respectful students
    - Hourly pay is good
    - You may be offered to teach other modules besides the one you applied for if you're qualified

Cons

- Zero training offered to Sessional tutors
    - Low hours (from as little as six hours a week)
    - Management don't take you seriously unless it involves a student
    - No guarantee you'll be employed the following semester
    - Sessional tutors are not given any office or personal space. No real PC access to do work so we end up working in empty classrooms so very little if at all any time to get to know other staff.
    - There is no set curriculum being followed in many of the subjects modules. The subject material is a giant mess of all the previous material produced by previous sessional tutors smashed into one. Some of the material is shockingly low quality and outdated.
    - There is a high turnover of sessional staff so they are more concerned with filling the gap in teaching rather than the quality of their tutors. I constantly heard complaints from students about terrible teaching quality from the new hires.
    - Asking for help regarding the modules you will be teaching will always be fruitless. The only time I received feedback on anything was when I submitted exam papers for review from an external examiner.
    - As sessional staff you won't be invited to any Kaplan organized events so further perpetuating the sense of isolation from all other staff.
    - Management don't value your hard work, you're just another disposable tutor in their eye. When full-time teaching positions come up in your department they won't promote you out of "fairness" but management are promoting their friends into position all the time.
    - It took them nearly a month to finally give me access to my work email but only few days to remove it once they decided not to rehire me for the following semester. I lost emails, contact details for of other tutors and students. Would not reinstate access even for a brief period because of "company policy". I also missed a job opportunity because of this.

Advice to Management

Show some respect and value your sessional tutors. Listen to their concerns and act on it, don't just pretend that you care and hope we won't be around long enough to expect changes.

4 Jan 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave a post about your experience working for Kaplan International Pathways. As a management team, we greatly appreciate getting feedback from our staff, even when... More

"Great company, 100% committed to its customers/ partners"

I worked at Kaplan International full-time

Pros

Great people
    Commitment to customers/ partners is absolute
    Vision is well communicated and shared / bought into by majority of staff

Cons

Decision making can be unnecessarily slow and 'committee based' - structured as and acts like a public sector body, whilst being in private ownership
    Lots of internal politics/ power struggles
    Work / life balance can be challenging at all levels

Advice to Management

Listen more to people who are experts in their area. Don't assume because you're paid more, you know better.

21 Oct 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review Kaplan International English (KIE) as a place to work. You note some of the positive aspects of working at KIE. I share your opinion that the people who work... More

"Depressing & waste of good resource"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Kaplan International full-time

Pros

Multicultural environment & et to meet people of different nationalities. Great camaraderie between junior & middle level employees.

Cons

Horribly managed organisation. Highly biased managers & senior staff with large scale favouritism rampant at all levels. Closed to change and new ideas. Office facilities is poor in London and very little focus on bettering it.

19 Oct 2018

Thank you for your feedback on working at Kaplan International English (KIE.) One of the priorities of the management team aims to reinvent the company culture to one in which honest feedback, no... More