Kenny Ross Automotive Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "service"

I worked at Kenny Ross Automotive Group full-time

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

not enough work, quick to lay off

Advice to Management

need more work

"A decade in the car business"

I worked at Kenny Ross Automotive Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A successful company that has a fantastic sales/service staff plus good job security and advancement opportunities. The pay was about the norm by industry standards.

Cons

The auto industry can be feast or famine thus meaning raises were not freely given out. The healthcare benefits package the company offered changed frequently thus causing issues with which providers could be seen.

Advice to Management

Employees not earning a commission could be paid better thus attracting better applicants. Pick a healthcare plan, stick with it, and perhaps pay a larger portion of the costs.

3. "Okay place to work as the automotive business goes"

Pros

Supportive company structure. Low cost of going to work every day. Good management structure. Lower income being driven by competitive market and internet intrusion.

Cons

It is a retail environment in a highly competitive market. Good opportunity for growth with good work habits and a desire to succeed.

"Average car dealership"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Zelienople, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Zelienople, PA (US)

I worked at Kenny Ross Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kenny Ross has a good reputation in the area and they’ve been around for over 60 years. They do provide their sales consultants with a CRM tool to log their customers in called Vin Solutions which was a pretty decent CRM tool to use. Each sales consultant had a computer at their desk. Every couple of months a manufacture trainer would come in and explain about the new cars. This came in handy because I learned things that I didn’t know and it did help with my selling presentation. Not one other dealership I worked for had this type of training. Every month, the general manager and used car manager would put together a list of hot cars and have a spin program which did help a little with commission. The work schedule was fair in which you had one half day and one scheduled day off. You worked about 53 hours a week. Both facilities Nissan and GM were very new and eco friendly. Variety of inventory on the new car side was pretty good. The dealer had shuttle vans which made it really convenient to shuttle customers around especially in the winter time. They did have an onsite body shop down over the hill if something needed fixed. All of the co-workers I worked with were a good group of people. Sales consultants had the option to drive a new car demo instead of putting miles and wear and tear on their personal vehicle. I really enjoyed driving the demos because I had the opportunity to learn more about that car and save some money on fuel. Only thing we had to do was make sure there was some fuel in them and that they were clean. When used cars were serviced and put on the lot to sell, I didn’t have to make up excuses why this car had problems since they were addressed in the service department. The biggest plus to working at Kenny Ross was that they had a fuel tank in the back of the detail shop. So I didn’t have run to the gas station to get fuel in the car while the customer would have to wait a long time.

Cons

Pay plan was not that strong. One of the General Managers favorite quotes to the new guys were “ You’re going to make a lot of money here” Really what do you consider a lot of money there $40K, 50K ? How about $24,000 GROSS is what I made and that’s very hard to live on. Top salesman on the Nissan side was making $45K. Had I had looked at more in depth I would have known what I was getting myself into. Get certain % on the MSRP of the car on new cars? What is that? So their goal is to push sales to sell the cheaper priced cars like Sentras, Versas, Sonics, Sparks, and Cruzes. Both stores are volume stores and there is a lot of competition in the area so expect a lot of mini deals and below invoice deals. $100 minimal commission on new and pre-owned cars.

There was a 3rd party company that would come in and take pictures of the new and used cars. There were multiple times where they posted poor quality pictures, took weeks sometime months take pictures of that car, incorrect color, trim and/or stock number of the car. Then customers would call in and complain about it and it makes the sales consultant look dumb.

The demo plan sounds nice where one gets to drive a new car around and save the wear and tear on their personal vehicle. But one still had to pay $180 a month along with keep the car clean and making sure that there was some fuel in the car. When a sales person had a bad month, $180 adds up quickly. After 2 new car parked demos, the used car manager would put you in a trade in junk car to drive around until one of your parked demo cars was sold. One of the cars they gave me to drive blew a brake line on the way home from work in which the dealer had to come have it towed and the other car left me stranded at a gas station for an hour because the ignition wouldn’t read the chip in the key. Eventually it did start.

Lot attendants ignored the Nissan side and only focused on the GM side. So some of the sales consultants would take watch the lot outside and move cars around. Some customers even complained about the lack or organization.
    Uniforms- I had to pay $52 a month to have my uniforms cleaned for work even if I took them home and laundered them myself. Sometimes the uniform company couldn’t even put them in the right locker.
    Same CRM but different for each building- a Nissan customer could have been logged in on the Nissan side then take a walk down to the GM side talk to sales consultant there and the Nissan sales consultant have no idea that the customer went down there and bought. Skating was a huge problem but mainly on the GM side. Even though we had the opportunity to sell both brands customers still would drive down to the opposing lot.
    Rotary phones- at a well known organization they are still using old phones with NO Caller ID. For voicemail, it gets transferred to audix which in my opinion is a very poor answering service. Every dealership I worked before had phones with caller ID.

Used car internet leads: it bothered me even though I did not handle internet leads for that GM was receiving Nissan pre-owned internet leads and thought it was fair game to sell Nissan pre-owned. They had 2 different websites. The GM website also had Nissan pre-owned inventory while the Nissan website did not contain GM pre-owned inventory how is that fair?

Incorrect or no certified decals- on multiple occasions, there were pre-owned vehicles that were placed online and on the lot that were either not

Hired too many sales consultants- like any other dealership if the sales traffic is not there why do they keep hiring more sales consultants? All it does it make the sales consultant more hungry and stressed out when they do not meet their sales goals at the end of the month. To survive here, you must sell at least 10+ cars a month otherwise you’ll have a tough time surviving.
    Odd setup of both dealerships. There is a huge hill on the back side which I think puts both stores at a disadvantage had it have been flat all the way back, they could have put both stores further back and had more room for pre-owned cars up front along with some new cars.

From what I heard months after I left this place it has continue to fall apart. A lot more sales consultants and management are leaving this place.

Advice to Management

-If Nissan were a standalone dealership I think it would have done much better?
    -Teach sales consultants right from wrong instead of yelling at them.
    -Quit trying to micromanage when it becomes slow.
    -Redo sales consultant pay plan.
    -Either hire more lot attendants or use the ones they have to organize both GM and Nissan lots better.
    -Hire someone from within the company to take pictures of the new and pre-owned cars it will save them money in the long run.
    -Have used car manager buy more pre-owned imports.
    -Fix the internet leads so that they go to the correct store.
    -Combine both used cars websites so that the customer can view both of them online instead of having to look at 2 different website.
    -Change out those old style phone and put in phones with caller ID get with the times.
    -Sales consultant should be allowed to dress their own way (of course professionally) or do not charge the staff a uniform rental.
    -After 2 new car demos are parked, put the sales consultant in a nicer/safer pre-owned car.
     -Management should ask sales consultants on what kind of new cars to order

-Why I left Kenny Ross- I left Kenny Ross because I was getting tired of not making enough money to get by along with the all the deductions, demo uniform rental, huge competition of all the other dealers in the area, and lack of let’s throw Nissan to the side and only care about GM. The economy had a role in it to because people were not buying cars. Overall this is a average dealership to work for. If they fixed a couple of these issues, it would be I think a much smoother running dealership.