Kerry Foods Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.4
Kerry Foods CEO Duncan Everett
Duncan Everett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "An inspiring company, coupled with great employees & leadership!"

I have been working at Kerry Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For me, my experience of working for Kerry Foods is nothing but a positive one.

The people make this business such a delight to work here.

Everyone here shares the same passion and truly wants to make our business a success. Employees who work here are approachable!

Senior management are very visible e and approachable and they are very embedded into the business. Their doors are always open!

No day is the same at Kerry Foods, you can chose to carve your career they way you want too. And get involved in as much or as little as you’d like too.

Cons

This business isn’t for everyone. Lots of employees or former employees refer to it as marmite, and it is. Its extremely fast paced (but hey, that’s not necessarily a con).

Lots of projects, each team has lots of additional projects to deliver on top of their day to day jobs, so sometimes it can be a little tricky on the work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Continue to lead in the way you are! Its working, it's a great place to work!

2. "An organisation that never stands still and allows you to express yourself"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Egham, England

I have been working at Kerry Foods full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Kerry is a dynamic place to work. It is a people business underpinned by a strong set of values. It allows colleagues to take ownership and responsibility at all levels . You can make a real difference.

Cons

It is not a 9 to 5 organisation.

29 Jun 2018 – Resourcing Lead

Many thanks for taking the time to write us a review and even better that you gave us 5 stars! It sounds like you've had a great 8 years with us so far, so thank you for all your hard work and best... More

3. "A great place to work and progress, if you've the right attitude"

I have been working at Kerry Foods full-time

Pros

Ability to take ownership and responsibility, fast progression if you're bright and make good connections. Great exposure to lots of aspects of the business in all roles. Opportunity to work on some amazing brands.

Cons

At times the WLB is non existent.
    You need the right attitude and aptitude to work in Kerry, otherwise you'll be swallowed up. You need to be really hard working, strong willed, brave and articulate.
    Like a lot of companies, office politics is crucial to progressing.
    The expenses system is stressful and complex!

Advice to Management

Push for a change in the overall Kerry expenses system. It causes needless stress, in particular to new employees and graduates.

5 Jul 2018 – Resourcing Lead

Hi there, many thanks for your review and for all of your feedback. Its great to read your positive thoughts and we really appreciate you taking the time to write us a review. Sorry to hear that... More

4. "Finally free!"

Former Employee - Dispatch in Ossett, England
    Former Employee - Dispatch in Ossett, England

I worked at Kerry Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For a while I enjoid working with the staff at Kerry, good banter, lads were proper sick guys, would cover my shifts when I was sick and go out for a few when oer 4 off was a wkend.

A couple of the team leaders really seemed to care, including my own, therewas a good sense of a greater goal

Cons

Management management management.

Some team leaders and all of the group leaders look at you like dirt, there is a clear difference between staff that they think matters and Joe bloggs whose just there to pick boxes off the line or stir the pot.
    There were some good lads in there who could have done a lot more with the right managers, but they were so clearly out for themselves and only themselves that they never let that happen.
    Safety was one of the final reasons I gave it up, barriers were smashed bent and broke and gone unfixed for months if not wears, (some were broke when I arrived and were still broke when I left)

Production and dispatch engineers are encouraged to do the cheapest fixes possible and that causes regular breakdowns on all levels, but management don't care cos they are in a comfy office with their feet up.

Advice to Management

Quit or learn how to manage a factory and the people in it, or even more of us will quit

5. "It's a good first 'proper job'"

Current Employee - Lab Technician
    Current Employee - Lab Technician

I have been working at Kerry Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to develop skills using various software and performing various laboratory tests (if you work in QC or Micro). Lower management are very understanding, friendly and most of them care about their staff. Agency workers' hard work is recognized by offering them company contracts. Annual leave and sick pay very good. Potential for good benefits if you are willing to sacrifice your work-life balance.

Cons

Pay is very, very poor for Lab Technicians (thousands per year below the sector average in my area and we are paid less than the unskilled factory laborers with no qualifications). Always short staffed and very poor training. Expectations from upper management are extremely unrealistic- they want all the work done, everything sparkling clean and 'my success' goals completed but don't want to pay overtime or hire the necessary number of staff to cover the basic work. Also poor security as nearly everyone is on a perpetually rolling 'temporary' contract for 3 months at a time which just gets renewed over and over.

Advice to Management

Lower and middle management: keep up the good work, it is really appreciated by your staff.

Upper Management: use your brain a bit and make your mind up: do you want the work done or not? Do you want employees to stay or not? People will leave if you underpay them, don't give them permanent contracts and place constant very heavy demands on them, blaming them when these are inevitably unmet.

"Initial Impressions"

Current Employee - National Field Sales Manager in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Kerry Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was very impressed with the recruitment process where I was kept updated & informed throughout with good feedback & attention to detail. This created a positive impression of the company which for anyone seeking a role is important as on so many occasions recruitment consultants & sometimes HR departments can leave you feeling frustrated & disillusioned.
    When starting the role I have been inspired by my colleagues positive attitude & their willingness to help me learn & integrate in to the business.

Cons

Have yet to experience them

4 Jun 2018 – Resourcing Lead

Hi there, many thanks for taking the time out to write us a positive review, we really appreciate it! It's great to hear that you have had such a positive time with the business so far and we wish... More

"You'll either love it or hate it"

I have been working at Kerry Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love my job, and here are a few reasons why. The values at Kerry Foods are extremely embedded and are truly lived and breathed everyday, which is so refreshing to see. I get to take ownership everyday and have real responsibility/autonomy in my day to day role and in projects.
    Being a part of FMCG the Company moves at pace and no 2 days are the same, this is like marmite you either love it or you hate it, luckily I love it. But for me the biggest pro is the people - the people at Kerry Foods are truly what makes this a great place to work regardless of which site you are based at. If your experience is anything like mine you'll not only gain a new role but a new extended family.

Cons

Lack of flexible working and work life balance. If you are looking for a 9-5.30 job then Kerry Foods isn't for you.
    Lack of support and appreciation from line managers (I can only speak for my function).

Advice to Management

Invest in HR People Management development and get the HR department to truly be the role models of all the great work you support/train all other People Managers to be within the Company. The HR department currently don't practice what they preach.

4 Jun 2018 – Resourcing Lead

Hello, thank you so much for writing such a detailed review, we really do appreciate your feedback. Its good to hear that you love Kerry Foods and it's great to have you as part of the 'family... More

8. "Fantastic company to work for"

I have been working at Kerry Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The vision and values is embraced at all levels. Combined with this is the enthusiasm and desire for anyone who’s works at Kerry Foods to be innovative, inspiring, collaborative and engaging. In addition to this development is always at the core

Cons

Fast paced and changing environment, but this is led by experienced leaders who are extremely supportive amidst change and extend their knowledge to others

20 Apr 2018 – Resourcing Lead

Hi there, thank you so much for your positive review and it's great to see that you are feeling so positive about your role with us. Many thanks for all your hard work and wishing you a fantastic... More

9. "Growth mindset, entrepreneurial and genuine focus on people"

Current Employee - Commercial Director in Egham, England
    Current Employee - Commercial Director in Egham, England

I have been working at Kerry Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Leadership authenticity - egos and personal agendas do not succeed
    Passion for the business - people go the extra mile
    Entrepreneurial mindset - the business is happy to let you take the initiative and if mistakes are made, just make sure you learn from them.
    Lack of all-consuming business process that sucks in non value-added time
    Food and chef led. We don't compromise quality or take short cuts to achieve a price

Cons

Entrepreneurialism can result in multiple projects although the business is now really focussed on fewer bigger priorities.
    Operating both brand and Own Label within one business can have its challenges

Advice to Management

Continue to lead as you are. It's an inspiring place to work

5 Apr 2018

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your positive words. We are glad to see that you are enjoying your time here and we really appreciate all of your hard work... More

10. "Amazing people and great development opportunities in a fast paced entrepreneurial environment"

I have been working at Kerry Foods full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about Kerry Foods is the people and the culture - whatever site, whatever role I have been in I have had the pleasure of working with some amazing people who genuinely care about each other. There is also a real passion to help people develop and provide great development opportunities. There are lots of examples of people who have moved roles within and outside of their function to grow and develop. Finally the business is very entrepreneurial and people are given autonomy to make a difference - if you have a good idea, with clear rationale you will be encouraged to go and make it happen.

Cons

Due to the changing FMCG landscape and the dynamic environment, the business is very fast paced. This is not for everyone and can be a challenge but is also exciting and makes every day different.

Advice to Management

Continue to be visible and encourage the two way feedback - people like the fact there is no hierarchy and that the door is always open.

5 Apr 2018

Hi there, many thanks for your review and also for your long service with us. We really appreciate your feedback and we love the way that you have summarised our unique culture. We agree that FMCG... More