Ketchum Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.5
Ketchum CEO Barri Rafferty
Barri Rafferty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Managers are always willing to work with employees to maintain work/life balance and encourage professional and personal growth" (in 12 reviews)

• "great people, no office politics, no jerks" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance could be better" (in 42 reviews)

• "Fexible WFH but very long hours" (in 32 reviews)

1. "Ketchum London"

I have been working at Ketchum full-time

Pros

A great place to work. Interesting clients. Nurturing and supportive culture. Good work/life balance. Doing work that makes a difference.

Cons

None. None. None. None. None. None. None. None. None.None. None. None. None. None. None. None. None. None. None. None. None.

Advice to Management

It is vital that we are always hiring the very best people who can deliver what on the requirements of our clients.

2. "Overall a great place to work"

Former Employee - Finance in London, England
    Former Employee - Finance in London, England

I worked at Ketchum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great office culture, clear structure and good communication between management and staff

Cons

Sometimes a little bit "cliquey"

3. "Where people do NOT matter"

I worked at Ketchum full-time

Pros

Maybe the salary is a bit higher than in other advertising agencies.

Cons

The management is horrible. They say they care about their people but they actually don't. I had a very bad experience with someone who didn't want to manage anybody. Culture was also bad, I've never felt part of the company, even of a team.

Advice to Management

Review your management strategy and listen more to people (not only senior people).

4. "Ok"

I have been working at Ketchum full-time

Pros

Great clients, clever colleagues. Fast paced and interesting work

Cons

Completely profit orientated. People only seen as counters, totally taken for granted and not fairly rewarded

Advice to Management

See people as humans rather than money

"Challenging and rewarding"

Current Employee - Senior Account Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Account Director in London, England

I have been working at Ketchum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great clients, smart people, opportunities to learn and create your own path.

I've found that if you're clear about what you want from your career and there's a strong business case for it, things will happen for you. It's a rewarding place to work if you have ambition and a plan.

Cons

Some senior management are very old school and lack dynamism.

Politics can get in the way of doing the best possible work.

Advice to Management

Keep giving the ambitious go-getters the platform to succeed, and hire more junior staff to allow for upward development

"Account Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Ketchum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

(London office) There are some genuinely lovely people there. The bi-annual parties are great fun. The dedication to training is excellent - there are so many skills and experiences across the network so you will be learning from the people around you.

Cons

(London office) The leadership is not just ineffective but have purposefully created an environment where people are not rewarded for good work and are almost bullied into pushing juniors into working long hours whilst managers check in every now and then. No one progresses in their career unless it is being seen by specific people - even if KPIs are achieved. This enables a culture of backstabbing and poor client work.

Advice to Management

Too late. You had the chance to address it and instead chose short-term figures over long-term reputation. I'm now in-house and use PR agencies - I'll never use Ketchum.

"A little bit hap hazard"

Current Employee - Account Director
    Current Employee - Account Director

I have been working at Ketchum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible working policy is great

Cons

Lots of work and not enough people to do it.

Advice to Management

hire more people or others will leave

"Great opportunities"

Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England

I have been working at Ketchum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ketchum is a place where you are given the freedom to set your own path. The support of the senior executives (CEO, Dep CEO, COO ect) is always there if you want it - although we sit in an open plan office the door is always open, if you get what I mean :)
    I came from a very 'stuffy' agency when I joined (all middle aged men in grey suits!) and was pleased to see so many other women in serious positions. It is encouraging to see that if you work hard, want to drive new business and do good things for your existing clients, you can get there too.
    We have great clients - the sorts of brands that would feature on many people's wish lists - and the projects are really varied.
    There's also a renewed buzz for the exciting stuff, like new business, this year and if you're someone who likes to put their hand up and get involved in going after new clients then Ketchum is a place for you.

Cons

Everyone's really busy and we could use a few more impromptu social get togethers over a glass of bubbles to unwind here and there.
    And while things are definitely moving in the right direction there are still a few 'old school' among the leader/management teams who like to live on past glories (from like 20 years ago) while doing very little to encourage an actual commercial mentality. However, like I say, that is clearly being addressed.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to make the tough decisions, even if they might seem unpopular to a small minority. We understand them if you explain them properly to us and we all want to make a success of it.
    So let's continue to build a place that's full of energised people who want to be the best of the best.

"Stay away"

Current Employee - Account Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Director in London, England

I have been working at Ketchum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They are big and ok at strategy.

Cons

All good reviews are from HR. Last year we lost almost all of our best people. Least creative and least professional agency out there even considering our size! (London) Leadership ladies (as they are called) are shall we say less than honest. A colleague described it perfectly when he said it's '
    "poison and politics". If you aren't a back stabbing evil woman then you'll never make it to Director level here Long hours, treated like idiots, no transparency and messed up expensive celebrations around VERY questionable leadership hires (when we are told there is no money for promotions). It's a completely messed up place! Can't wait to leave and as far as I can tell at least 25 people feel the same (60 left last year!)

Advice to Management

Start thinking and behaving how you pretend you are and how you say you are! It should be people first not directors first. Get rid of Dep CEO if you really want staff to believe you are solving the problem. We want inspiring leaders not aggressive dictators

10. "A nice place to work"

I have been working at Ketchum full-time

Pros

Lovely people. Smart colleagues. Good laughs. Strong teams.

Cons

Politics at the top and across departments.

Advice to Management

Have vision, communicate it and then actually do it.