King's College London Research Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

King's College London President PROFESSOR EDWARD BYRNE AC
PROFESSOR EDWARD BYRNE AC
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good facilities, great location to work in (in 16 reviews)

• Good team, flexible working days, no pressure, good work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • With regard to yearly professional development review, the goal posts are not always clearly communicatied by senior management (in 11 reviews)

• Postdoc factory - no interest in your career progression (in 6 reviews)

1. "Experienced LCMS scientist"

Current Employee - Proteomics LCMS Research Assistant in London, England
    Current Employee - Proteomics LCMS Research Assistant in London, England

I have been working at King's College London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good collaborations , very well funded, latest technology, comparible salaries

Cons

Very long working hours at times compared to industry

Advice to Management

Should have subsidised canteen

2. "Research Assistant"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in London, England

I have been working at King's College London full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the most famous colleges of London, which covers many areas of research and knowledge.

Cons

Some campuses are far from being interactive and dynamics.

3. "IOPPN (King's College London)"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in London, England

Pros

Opportunities to attend seminars, conferences and lectures within university
    Work alongside work leading academics and chance to engage in research interests
    Additional holidays around Christmas period

Cons

Worst human resources department ever

Advice to Management

Improve human resources department

5. "KCL Research worker"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in London, England

I worked at King's College London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was always being offered the opportunity to progress through additional training, attending lectures and seminars from world renown psychologist such as Michael Rutter. Nice team environment, everyone works together.

Cons

As I had just graduated from University, at times it could feel like the senior management underestimated my work capability.

Advice to Management

It was sometimes difficult to understand how the management wanted us to organise our work load. At times they wanted to conduct as many interviews as possible but at the same time not obtain too much over hours which was difficult.

"Nice, bright people in a bureaucratic place"

Former Contractor - Research Assistant in London, England
    Former Contractor - Research Assistant in London, England

I worked at King's College London as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy and being treated like an adult in terms of managing one's own workload.
    Working with very bright, motivated people on highly interesting projects.
    Flexible working - ability to work from home on Fridays and no obligation to be present outside 'core' hours.
    Location of Strand campus - lovely building in a great location.
    Friendly, easy-going colleagues at all levels.
    Pension benefits.

I think people's experience of KCL depends a lot on the dept atmosphere - the morale in my dept declined sharply over my time there as people were laid off / had to re-apply for their own jobs and everything became substantially more bureaucratic and time-consuming, but before that it was a good place to work.

Cons

Bureaucracy - lots of management layers, each with their titles, and often lengthy, complicated processes to get things done, such as recruit staff. This got worse while I was there as the funding cuts bit and admin staff were laid off.
    Very hierarchical - felt as if senior management wasn't listening or was unable to do much. Seeing your colleagues' jobs disappear in reorganisations is no fun, especially when senior management are paid such huge sums.
    Short-term contracts - created uncertainty and reduced commitment from staff.
    Lack of professional development - no relevant CPD offered or paid for.
    Lack of career path - short-term contracts underline the precarious nature of funding and raised doubts about dept ability to offer perm posts.
    Staff turnover is fairly high at levels lower than senior management, as it seems hard to get a permanent contract and staff feel generally unsupported.
    Heavy workload, which is the norm in British universities.
    Offices were either very cold or very hot thanks to antique heating and inadequate air con.

Advice to Management

Reduce the administrative burden and ensure there are enough people to get the job done efficiently. I know of several examples where one person was doing the jobs of two or even three people on a temporary basis, which turned into over a year, before staff could be recruited. Staff goodwill and enthusiasm drip away in these situations.
    Make staff feel valued by offering professional development and permanent contracts so they can do things like get a mortgage.
    Senior management of the college appears to be like the board of a corporation in that they are very well remunerated and insulated from the often horrible effects of their 'efficiency measures', while being charming people in person.

"Friendly Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in London, England

I have been working at King's College London part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A competitive hourly rate, friendly atmosphere, and flexible working hours make King's College London a fantastic employer.

Cons

The central London location can make both working, studying, and commuting a struggle. Transport is a key issue to consider.