King's College London Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

King's College London Reviews

Updated 18 October 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible working hours, regular peer supervision, training and skills development opportunities offered (in 12 reviews)

• Good facilities, great location to work in (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • With regard to yearly professional development review, the goal posts are not always clearly communicatied by senior management (in 10 reviews)

• Postdoc factory - no interest in your career progression (in 6 reviews)

1. "Very happy to work here."

I have been working at King's College London full-time

Pros

Varied and challenging work
    London location

Cons

None that I can think of.

2. "A great learning environment"

Current Employee - Research Worker in London, England
    Current Employee - Research Worker in London, England

I have been working at King's College London full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting, challenging work
    Decent pay
    Great, smart colleagues

Cons

In the longer term, progression in academia is tough
    Plenty of bureaucracy
    Competitive environment

3. "Kings"

I worked at King's College London full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can say nothing positive

Cons

Staff well being unimportant to kings

Advice to Management

Need to listen to staff more and care

"Not impressed IT Data Solutions Analyst"

Former Employee - IT Solutions Analyst in London, England
    Former Employee - IT Solutions Analyst in London, England

I worked at King's College London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. They had doors allowing you to enter their buildings and rooms.

2. You get paid.

3. They had windows in their offices', albeit they were old.

Cons

Having worked in the Data Solutions team within the IT department on a fixed-term contract, it was, on balance a more negative than positive experience. It is worth fleshing out why this is the case.

1. When my contract ended and I requested a referee for my new job, a former colleague refused, alleging he had no time for this. This was roundly inconsistent with him not only being a referee for at least one other former colleague, but also writing several recommendations for him on business-oriented websites! It is more likely than not he did have time but bizarrely acted improperly with his mendacity.

2. About a year before my contract expired, one in charge of data solutions promised the year before he would furnish lots of notice should my contract not be extended. However, I was appalled that he gave just over two months notice period despite admitting that he was cognisant MONTHS before that my contract wouldn't be extended or made permanent! This made me feel misled, undervalued and upset, wherefore I was left battling to find work to avoid the mortification and difficulties of unemployment, during the impending Brexit vote - a difficult economic period that saw employers put the brakes on hiring while consumer and business confidence was dampening. I was trapped in unemployment for NEARLY A YEAR, consequently impairing my economic situation, escalating family and personal worries, producing an IRREVOCABLE dark hole in my career history which damaged my reputation among employers and agencies to thereby make me less employable, and making me feel stupid, especially given he KNEW the probability of securing employment would've been higher had sufficient notice been given. He had no decency to even apologise for his breech of promise. Also, HR's policy said employees are to be notified 6 months in advance if contracts would not be extended. However, they failed to abide by this instead giving me a few months notice! Yet, they want employees to carefully adhere to policies, which is pure inconsistency.

3. He secretly told a colleague he did an illegality whereafter making this easy to detect to the team! How flippant and heedless for him to plough ahead with this! Action was taken against him, which hopefully made it less likely this will be repeated.

4. It was blindingly puzzling and unbecoming that my past manager infracted license agreements after admitting this to the team in such a heedless, imprudent manner! How on earth is it sensible to disclose something like that, especially so casually and nonchalantly, rather than putting things right?

5. I was very surprised he did not delegate work for nearly two months when I first joined the team! Instead, he put me on a training course, despite the fact I didn't need it. This gave me the inkling I was not needed in the team, didn't deserve to be paid plus it decelerated the pace of gaining experience in real-world project and the sector. What was bizarre was that a colleague didn't need the training he was placed on to enjoy professional development, as he had decades of experience and was closer to the end of his career than beginning! By contrast, I required this, but instead was put on courses which did not expand my professional competencies vis-a-vis to what I expected.

6. Meetings led by the one in charge of data-related solutions almost always overshot, sometimes taking half an hour longer than scheduled! Furthermore, the manager would sometimes socialise with colleagues, talking about housing, pensions, etc. despite the deadlines we had, ergo,the amount of time lost down to such mediocre timekeeping was disappointing and counterproductive. Also, I would be sometimes interrupted when speaking in meetings, which I found impertinent.

7. I was disappointed the one managing data-related solutions, more often than not, assigned me the most boring and simplest work despite knowing my prowess and zeal to aim higher. I felt he had little confidence in me for no warranted reason, which explains why he gave me such work which was frankly, child's-play. It was hardly contributive to the department, and certainly less comprehensive than what the job specification said.

8. I never really felt part of the team as everyone else would speak to one another and just ignore me. I felt isolated especially during meetings when sometimes, no-one would even look at me!

9. On the floor wherein I worked, it was almost always chilly as they had no sense in fixing the heaters! It was because of this that a colleague suggested I leave the country and emigrate to a warmer one! How disrespectful!

10. Within the office I worked in, people spoke too much especially about silly, irrelevant matters i.e. sex, hobbies, etc. and didn't carry out more work than what could've been done despite time constraints for deliverables. I believe the culture should be more formal to consistently achieve the same results and make effective utilisation of time, something which cannot be regained once lost.

For these reasons, especially the first few enumerated, overall, I regret not leaving King's a lot sooner than I did. This is one employer that I unreservedly consider not going back to.

Advice to Management

Do not even think about lying to your colleagues, breaking promises and contravening the law, especially in a way that is so blindingly obvious! Don't think you will escape detection, because you cannot fool everyone all the time. Moreover, take things more seriously and stop being too flexible insofar that it renders you disorganised and carefree.

"Current state of being at King's"

I have been working at King's College London full-time

Pros

Lots of change going on
    Great location and well-known/viewed university
    Some great colleagues

Cons

Pay doesn't shift
    Job opportunities and development non-existent
    Internal communication not great

Advice to Management

Spend less on the estate and more on getting and keeping the best people to look after your students and research community

"IT Operations"

I have been working at King's College London full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Trusted to manage own time, workload and scope of work.
    Informal culture. Senior management are visible and friendly.
    Many systems and technologies to support - there is room to expand your experience.
    Great deal of dedication, good will and professionalism shown by most staff.

Cons

Lip service paid to career development. A job not a career.
    Many systems and technologies to support - there is little time to develop in-depth experience.

8. "Great place to develop core skills"

I worked at King's College London full-time

Pros

Supportive environment to develop key skills

Cons

Finance department is slow!

"Friendly team, old fashioned department heads (mainly male) felt like an old boys club"

Pros

Working with people who care about making changes. Flexible.

Cons

Old fashioned academic environment. I worked in the IoPPN but a lot of my colleagues were, ironically, forced to take time off work with stress or had very little support from management.

Advice to Management

Hire more women at a higher level and take an interest in your team. Often felt like we were disposable

10. "Good place to work"

I have been working at King's College London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is very good and respected by your managers. Very good annual leave allowance and opportunities to take professional development courses and training. Friendly and relaxed environment.

Cons

Very difficult to progress, and no reward system based on merit. Salaries are low compared to the sector. Staff can feel overworked in their roles due to high staff turnover.

Advice to Management

Advice to management would be to create more opportunities for staff to progress, and reward staff for good work to keep morale high. Allocate resources more appropriately to ensure staff feel supported and are not over worked.

"Awful place to work due to bad culture and values"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in London, England

I worked at King's College London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The reputation for your CV can sound impressive and help with future career prospects.

Cons

The management is terrible. They do not care about their employees, act as if they do by making their professional staff fill out surveys every week about how they find their work, and what they can do to improve your day to day work. However, they will not act on feedback to help you when an issue arises so its very deceptive. The Marketing team, as JCMB is awful. There is a particular type of people who work here. The culture is far from friendly, it is extremely corporate and social people will find it tedious to work in this environment, particularly if you are fairly young.

Advice to Management

Try and be a little more fair, reasonable and stop acting so prestige. This attitude will only bring your department reputation down. Directed in particular to the central marketing team at JCMB. I would never recommend working here, as you do not live up to the respectable King's College London brand.