Klarna Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 11 Nov 2019

3.8
Klarna CEO Sebastian Siemiatkowski
Sebastian Siemiatkowski
Pros
  • "dynamic, multi-cultural, fast paced, awesome tech stack(in 32 reviews)

• "Killing checkout products and great people to work with(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "the majority of middle management must become YES-people as well (if they have not become already)(in 14 reviews)

• "the CEO; the Swedish version of Elizabeth Holmes (in some sense)(in 10 reviews)

1. "Working at Klarna"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in London, England

I have been working at Klarna full-time for more than a year

Pros

Klarna has a great company culture.

Cons

I don't have any cons to add here.

Advice to Management

None

Klarna2019-09-02

"ok"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant

I worked at Klarna full-time

Pros

free breakfast, good kick off, work from home

Cons

low salary in comparison to market in SE

Klarna2019-05-21

"Klarna - Good but also challenging."

Current Employee - Sales in London, England

I have been working at Klarna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast paced, quick decision making, exciting product, market leading.

Cons

Chaotic, inexperienced leadership team, quite political.

Advice to Management

Less micro management, trust your teams more to do the job they are paid to do. Build up the experience within the leadership team, hire some more experienced leaders.

Klarna2019-04-03

"Won’t advise working here!"

I worked at Klarna full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company image and marketing Talented people Cool Product

Cons

Poor management 0 Leadership from C-Level and mid management Conflicting priorities from C-Level New operating model that doesn’t work Poor HR support and practices Poor work-life balance

Advice to Management

Replace most of the CxOs including CEO

Klarna2019-01-31
  5. "Exciting Company"

I have been working at Klarna full-time

Pros

Fast paced, room to progress for the willing.

Cons

Things move so quick it's hard to keep up with the latest.

Klarna2018-10-23
  6. "Social media"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Stockholm, Stockholm

I have been working at Klarna full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flex time events Multiculturell Different languages Young people

Cons

Manager very poor Faking their kindness and making false promises Very bad paid Too much unnecessary meetings

Advice to Management

Hire professional managers and not some unexperienced 20 years old who do not know how to treat people

Klarna2019-11-11

"The Sebastian cult"

I worked at Klarna full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

+ you work with the latest tech + the majority of people on the individual contributor level are very smart and hard-working people + good benefits package + you learn a lot on a lot of levels (politics included)

Cons

- the CEO; the Swedish version of Elizabeth Holmes (in some sense). Over the last few years he has transformed from an inspiring leader to an arrogant copycat of Steve Jobs, who personally handles (i.e., micromanages) all important projects and fires people at will when they do not execute exactly what he orders. It is amazing to see how many C level executives have been fired. The ones remaining nowadays are hand... picked individuals from the earlier years of Klarna (who grew with the company and the Sebastian cult mentality) and learned not to challenge him. - the majority of middle management must become YES-people as well (if they have not become already). I still do not understand why they hire competent people when all they want is someone to say "YES Sebastian, this is a great idea and I will execute it exactly the way you want me to. I know ... it doesn't matter if it is shady in terms of legal, compliance, privacy and if it will create huge technical debt that will eventually make us redo all the work from the beginning in a few years (which will eventually slow us down) ... if you want it now, I will do it now!" - the new operating model has segmented the company so much that eventually no one knows what the others are doing and everyone re-implements the wheel and does things in the way that will make them reach Sebastian's goal faster. Even if it makes no sense - the new operating model forces so much administration work to the team managers (or competence leads as they are called) that some of the smartest people in Klarna have become in reality glorified secretaries - a few year's ago product was harassing engineering with some seriously incompetent and arrogant product managers. Now they don't have to do that anymore ... product owns engineering completely. Engineering (or the "geeks" as Sebastian refers to them in some internal circles) gets to play with any cool toys they find out there on the internet as long as they can build pretty castles on the sand - do not expect career development opportunities (after a certain level) if you are not high five-ing everyone around you and shouting "Klarna is awesome". So many people have been playing this game and they even admit it in 1-1 conversations simply because they want to get a title that will help them step up to a new role in another company - all successes (real or fake) are celebrated but no lost deals or general losses are even ever mentioned. It feels that the company actively tries to hide problems and not learn from the mistakes of the past - you will work a lot. As a manager it is an unwritten rule that you have to pick up the phone and work at any given point (including during your vacation). This might become true even for individual contributors in some cases. The strangest thing is how the company has successfully managed to blur the limits between personal and professional time. I guess that is what Sebastian meant when he famously said "I do not believe in the work-life balance"

Advice to Management

Klarna products in a few years will have to be outsourced (and re-done completely) because they will have become exactly what all banks are being mocked about today; slow and inflexible due to the technical solutions and the way they were built a couple of years ago. This has actually already started and the outsourcing partners sometimes rub their eyes with how things have been built. When you treat engineers as... keyboard monkeys, they will have to build things that will be unmaintainable and difficult to interoperate with other systems in a few years. As someone wisely said: "I have never seen a company building so much technical debt so fast"

Klarna2019-09-30
  8. "Engaging, fast moving, lots of room to make an impact -- my favorite job thus far"

I have been working at Klarna full-time

Pros

Intelligent colleagues. Benefits of working at a startup with the scale of resources of a larger company. Interesting problem space. No shortage of opportunity for impact. If you show passion management will seemingly always try and support you. If you like to move fast, want to work in fintech, and like what you do, this is the place to be.

Cons

Coming from big tech / bulge bracket banking / big 3 you will likely take a pay cut. For younger hires, there is a risk you won't learn best practice because there is only time for execution. For mature hires, there is a risk you won't be given ownership.

Advice to Management

Hire more into the Vice President / Director level. Work harder on retaining talent. Think about compensation relative to the talent you want to acquire.

Klarna2019-09-26

"Great place to learn & develop!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockholm, Stockholm

I have been working at Klarna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Klarna really believes in people’s ability to grow and learn by giving them lots of responsibility and freedom.

Cons

Still too few women in tje CXO team.

Klarna2019-09-20
  10. "Fast moving company"

Current Employee - Service Agent in Stockholm, Stockholm

I have been working at Klarna full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunities to move around teams, domains, etc.

Cons

SC pay is extremely low and not a good place to be

Advice to Management

Recognise the talent in Klarna before rushing to hire externally

Klarna2019-09-13