KraftMaid Cabinetry Reviews

Reset
2.5
Timothy Wadhams

1. Customer oriented

Former Employee - Sander, Wiper, Repair, Detailed, Finisher in Middlefield, OH (US)

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

attention was always on the quality for their customers

Cons

the speed at which one had to do some of the larger objects, wiping off stain so as to get the smooth look desired, lifting of the larger objects should have two especially if using smaller people

Advice to Management

better gloves to help minimize wood splinters, heavier objects need two people to lift safely

Former Customer Care II agent & QA support with 10+ yrs.

Former Employee - Customer Care II & QA Support in Middlefield, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Care II & QA Support in Middlefield, OH (US)

Pros

KraftMaid like all companies has gone through many changes to keep the company profitable and remain competitive. All changes in culture are difficult, and sometimes it means concessions for everyone. I was glad to see the company taking steps to keep the company healthy; that translates to sustainability and good jobs tomorrow. The company has excellent benefits, and the pay scale excellent as compared to others out there. The company continues to invest real dollars; a new state of the art cloud based phone system; multi-million dollar equipment investment in the sanding, Quality and paint departments, and initiatives in QA to ensure higher quality finishes, and procedures and equipment to streamline operations in all departments. I left for a career change moving into a financial position. My varied responsibilities at KraftMaid have been valuable, and allowed me to be marketable and have leveraged me for success with my career change. KraftMaid has been very good to me. I am an over achiever- and I gave them 125% all the time. The payoff to me though has been invaluable. I would recommend the company highly.

Cons

Concessions and change are always difficult. KraftMaid -Middlefield has recently taken over production of some other smaller divisions, and also adding some new product lines, seemingly all at the same time- ( which is a positive sign. It says that Masco Corporate though they could handle it, and that is a compliment to the great work force at the Middlefield plant ) so every department, including Customer Care, has been greatly challenged to ramp up with some very short time lines. This has meant many hours of OT in all departments, some confusion at times, and blurring of lines of what to do when. Sometimes learning new things has had to take place "on the run", and seemingly things are launched without sufficient testing; and the resulting "clean up" detail sometimes difficult and and can at times seem even embarrassing. All of this though is a bi-product of change and growth, and KraftMaid is in the midst this process now. If you are not a resilient worker, and not able to go with rapid change, this is not a place you'd be comfortable. Maybe all of this is a con, but it's not all a bad thing; so try not to confuse the two. Pain before the gain!

Advice to Management

Communication happens in lots ways; including by how you do, or don't do things such as including all departments in company update meetings. Employee morale can be a barometer of productivity. There are lots of things that could be done to ensure employees feel they are important and appreciated that don't cost $. There are lots of company models out there for you to look at. An investment here would certainly pay off. Employees who feel appreciated, have a positive attitude toward the company and that yields a highly productive, enthusiastic, and satisfied employee. This can be achieved in very simple, low or no cost ways. Recognize the special skills, aptitudes or gifting of your employees, and place them in positions that utilize those hidden resources. Someone doing something they are good at is highly productive, and when an employee does well, he feel good about where he is at, and about himself. Underutilized employee gifts are wasted resources. The results will be greater productivity by all employees, and positive morale by the employees and management. Remember your employees are the Face of KraftMaid. :)

3. use to be a great place to work.

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Middlefield, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Middlefield, OH (US)

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

not really any good reasons anymore except the pay is not bad. they use to care about there people but that went out the door when corporate took over.

Cons

The cons are they took everything away from the employees that use to make them look like they cared like little perks appreciation week, a 12 pack of pop for the 4th of july, we had perfect attendance rewards, they were small perks but they made you feel appreciated.

Advice to Management

wake up and treat your employees the way they should be there not asking for much try to be the way it was before. The employees are human and they do have feelings and a life after work.

5. Great place except for the upper management

Current Employee - Quality Manager in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Quality Manager in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

coworkers are great to work with

Cons

bad upper management and horrible culture

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging your mid level managers

6. Not a good place for workers

Pros

Great pay, decent benefits, most supervisors are easy to get along with

Cons

Looks at workers as a number. Lots of layoffs.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. They work hard for it.

7. I learned a lot while working for this company.

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is like working with a family. People work together to get the job done. They are a company that helps with the local area.

Cons

In the summer it is extremely hot working in the factory do to all the equipment. They seem to have scheduling issues.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the people on the floor that are actually doing the work before making changes to the bonuses, benefits, and perks for working with the company. There are very many employees that have great ideas; but no one listens to them.

8. At the time, a company in flux

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time

Pros

Good compensation and benefits Excellent product discounts for employees Good job security

Cons

Limited understanding of digital marketing Beholden to over-arching parent corporation

9. Loved this company and the people that I worked with. Management at Ann Arbor has no clue how this company runs.

Former Employee - Customer Service in Middlefield, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Middlefield, OH (US)

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people and good company. Pay was very good and competitive.

Cons

Management in Ann Arbor does not have a clue how to run this company. No interaction with the employees that do the work.

Advice to Management

Ask for the employees help and advice. These people have valuable skills and experience!

10. Worst employment experience of my life - 7 years of hell

Former Employee - KAAT Builder in Middlefield, OH (US)
    Former Employee - KAAT Builder in Middlefield, OH (US)

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay was decent for being a semi-skilled position that didn't require a college education. I learned how not to treat employees while working there -- that came in handy for my next job.

Cons

1) As an assembly (KAAT) employee, your ideas are irrelevant. Don't bother bringing up your opinion, peon, and get back to work. You're not being paid to think, 2) Quality assurance is a joke, and is only considered when the QA department is auditing your department at any given time. 3) Hit your projected production numbers for the hour or else. Work harder, faster, and don't you dare make a mistake, If you do, you will be berated and made to stop what you're doing to fix it, then will be reprimanded for not hitting your hourly numbers. Rinse and repeat. 4) Management will lie to you in order to keep morale in that cushy spot between dissatisfaction and outright mutiny. Expect no more or less from them - they're in the same boat, just higher up the chain. 5) You and your coworkers will be reminded on a near-daily basis that if you don't like working at KM/Masco, McDonald's is hiring. So clever. 6) The half-assed JIT system is in shambles. Staging and milling are overworked and under the same conditions as assembly, so their output is rarely timely or in any way resembles a quality product. 7) Since we live in the United States of America, you may think that hard work and initiative will eventually be rewarded by increased opportunities, but get that silly idea out of your head if you work for Masco. You are a cog, and a disposable and contemptable one at that. Hit your pay ceiling (or don't) and shut up. No one is interested in any other skills or knowledge that you may think that you can bring to the table. Your ideas, if raised to management, will fall on deaf ears, unless someone in management thinks they can use them and snag all the credit for it. If someone in middle-management has their eye on you to become a supervisor, DO NOT TAKE THE BAIT. I saw MANY good, hard workers go down that path and lose their jobs when the going got tough, with no option to return to their prior positions. 8) You are expected to have the utmost loyalty to Masco/Kraftmaid, but that is a one-way street. Do not make the mistake of thinking that this company cares one iota about its employees. 9) This company is a sinking ship. If you haven't already, get a backup plan and get the hell out of there, unless you want to be let go at the same time as everyone else. The job pool will be diluted and it will likely be very difficult to find something else, as you'll be competing with your former corowkers. 10) I could really write a book about the horrible way this company conducts itself, but I have leaves to rake. Maybe I'll add more if this site lets me edit my post.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, guys. Eventually, you'll whittle this company down to nothing and will get the opportunity to spread your cancerous business ideologies to other firms.

11. Crazy dictatorship.. Managers and supervisors are so scared of losing their jobs, they're just a bunch of yes men.

I have been working at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time

Pros

Decent pay cheap and good benefits

Cons

Company is in financial crisis Micro-managing Leadership No Job Security Location is in the middle of no-where No upward mobility No development opportunities Horrible company and sales outlook Equipment is in dire straits Slimy business practices Very under-educated leadership No work/life balance Noisy environment

Advice to Management

Sell!

RSS Feed </> Embed