L'Oréal Canada Reviews

Updated 25 May 2020

3.3
L'Oréal Chief Executive Officer Jean-Paul Agon
Jean-Paul Agon
  1. "Only one division leads"

Current Employee - Category Analyst in Montreal, QC

I have been working at L'Oréal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Office is beautiful. You get to try products. They let you do any projects if you bring them to port. Summer hours good.

Cons

Hire people too Young fresh out of university with no experience Need to be in CPD to evolve

L'Oréal2019-04-06

April 24, 2019Global content and employee engagement manager

Dear colleague, Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for your time with L’Oréal! We’re very proud of our workplace and the unique benefits we are able to offer! We're also glad to see that you embrace our entrepreneurial and empowerment culture. There is not one linear and single career path at L'Oréal, and many leaders come from other divisions than CPD! We wish you continued success as you grow your career with us. Have a lovely day, Madeline

"Marketing Assistant"

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Montreal, QC

I worked at L'Oréal full-time for more than a year

Pros

The positives include: -Lots of free and discounted product -Young/fun co-workers -Nice office following the most recent round of renovations -Good mentorship available if you seek it out

Cons

Above everything else, L'Oreal is exceptional at sales - selling the product to customers, selling "opportunities" to new employees, and especially selling a certain type of delusion to everyone who works there. Here are the main difficulties I faced while working at L'Oreal: -3 out of 5 senior and mid-level managers are generally unequipped for the role This means a lack of understanding of what it means to manage in a professional sense (setting objectives, defining role scope and responsibility, removing roadblocks, etc), but what's more concerning, is that a lot of management is unequipped for the role emotionally - with no ability to empathize or understand the needs of the subordinates, they are followed only because the employees have to follow them. -Ego + Politics > Merit + Results I vividly recall my manager obsessing over the most insignificant details on a powerpoint deck, only to ensure that when he or she presents it to upper management, she is seen as a "superstar". I also recall manipulating the data to make a failed launch look "good", just so my manager could have good news to share. There is a general preference for ignoring data-driven decisions in favour of whatever makes the manager in question look good. -Emotional abuse It is a regular occurrence to see co-workers cry. It's even more commonplace to have a vacant role on any given team because the employee is on "sick leave" aka "stress-leave" aka "burn-out". The scary part is that no one is bothered by either of the above because they happen so frequently. -Hardcore cool-aid culture There is a strong expectation that everyone who works at L'Oreal must absolutely love it all the time, never mention anything negative, and ALWAYS show intentions of staying at the company until retirement. If you as much as mention that you might have an interest in perhaps exploring another industry or company way down the line, you will be told to keep quiet as it will damage your career progression. The ironic part is that L'Oreal Canada has by far the highest turnover rate in the industry, and forcing employees to always pretend to be "loving the experience" only makes it more difficult to get to the root cause of the problems. -Lack of ethical backbone I can't disclose any details relating to product development for legal reasons, but there are a lot of very questionable products both from an efficacy stand-point as well as from the consumer positioning standpoint.

L'Oréal2019-03-12

"CS"

1.0
    Former Employee - Management in Toronto, ON

I worked at L'Oréal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Can’t say much - keep relationship with higher management you’ll go places .

Cons

Very unorganized company Too many errors Be careful criticizing management - it might be viewed as insult rather than recognizing flaw to fix for continuous improvement.

L'Oréal2019-03-26
  4. "SAP FICO Analyst"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I have been working at L'Oréal full-time

Pros

If you want challenges, this is the place to work.

Cons

I have no comments on this so far

L'Oréal2019-01-17

January 17, 2019Digital content and Engagement Manager

Dear Colleague, thank you for your feedback. Have a great time ahead at L'Oréal. Best, Ana

"Anonymous"

I have been working at L'Oréal full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Amazing career opportunities -Strong leadership -Ability to be entrepreneurial -Ability to learn from very smart people

Cons

Workload at times can be very demanding. Learning opportunities can be limited depending on the function you work in.

L'Oréal2018-09-13

"Good, but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Finance in Montreal, QC

I have been working at L'Oréal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyday is different, quick possibility of evolution, possibility to create your own role in the organization - entrepreneurial spirit

Cons

Chaos - no procedures and lack of clear responsibilities, guidelines. Expect unexpected frustrating late night work for un-necessary reasons

L'Oréal2018-08-23

"Business development manager"

5.0

I have been working at L'Oréal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunities to grow and to have a great carrer

Cons

Work load is really heavy

L'Oréal2018-07-18
  8. "Trade marketing manager"

Former Employee - Trade Marketing Manager in Montreal, QC

I worked at L'Oréal full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

work/smart program, ability to buy stock, flexible hours

Cons

Difficult for advancement, they dont like you, you dont moce

L'Oréal2018-06-20

June 29, 2018L'Oréal Talent Team

Dear former colleague, Thanks to your review . It is true L’Oréal has a Worldwide Profit Sharing (WPS) program which gives employees a share of the success in their country. We call it your 13th salary! Thanks to your feedback . Wishing you a successful career in life. Yang.

"Key Account Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I worked at L'Oréal full-time for less than a year

Pros

L'Oréal has great brands to work with and will offer you difficult challenges to work on.

Cons

The team dynamics is toxic, not set up for success. The competition between teams, the fact that everyone is stretched and stressed, A lot of managers are promoted too quickly without being ready to lead people, which results in a bad team spirit.

L'Oréal2018-06-13

"Avoid at all costs"

1.0
    Former Employee - E-Commerce Analyst in Montreal, QC

I worked at L'Oréal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Worldwide company Leading cosmetics company Notorious International Nothing. Not much else to say.

Cons

Segregation between full-time/part-time employees Segregation between unionized/non-unionized employees They prioritize seniority over actual competencies and knowledge. HR is completely opaque, not transparent at all with their promises or communications. Not many opportunities to grow. They expect free overtime. Completely unorganized, very few actual processes in place. Senior employees routinely bully newer employees, while HR and upper management looks the other way. Terrible culture. A lot of gossiping and rumour spreading.

L'Oréal2018-05-28

June 7, 2018Talent Acquisition Director

Dear former colleague, Thank you for sharing your review. We do appreciate your feedback with regards to what you have encountered during your time amongst us. Transparency is a key focus at L’Oréal and we encourage all of our employees to voice their concerns either by having an open conversation with their manager or directly with HR. Our goal is to ensure that we hear your thoughts and enable you to be more successful within your role. We support this by consistently encouraging feedback at all levels of the organization. Learning from past experiences and always striving to be better than yesterday is key to providing an even better culture & environment. Again, I thank you for your review and we hope that you are doing awesome things in your new role. Maude

Found 86 reviews