Find jobs for Marketing

3.9
L'Oréal Chief Executive Officer Jean-Paul Agon
Jean-Paul Agon
  1. COVID-19

"Good people, problematic culture"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Oréal full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Very smart, dedicated and kind coworkers who make coming to work enjoyable - Portfolio of winning brands - Caring leadership in most parts of the organization - Opportunity to make your job what you want - job descriptions can be flexible and you can always “do more” if you look for ways to add value - Nice office, good perks e.g. company store and nail salon

Cons

There are significant company culture issues that come from the very top (Paris). Sometimes I forget we aren’t saving lives at work. Every task is both urgent and critically important, meaning it becomes impossible to prioritize work and you constantly feel pulled in too many directions, at the detriment of productivity. Depending on where you work in the organization, you can have decent work life balance, in terms of leaving at a reasonable hour and having weekends free. However work stress will often enter into your personal life, even if you’re not “working.” You have to give a lot of yourself to this company. The issues with company culture have become more apparent with Covid and the Black Lives Matter movement. As it relates to BLM, brand communication teams were completely restricted in what the brands could say and when. When approved messaging finally came through, it was scrubbed and “corporatized” with meaningless jargon. Black employees were not welcome to advise on messaging. Internally, it took several days for the organization to acknowledge what was happening with employees, and only after a group of employees demanded action and support. L’Oréal also has a diversity issue in hiring - very few employees of color in our corporate teams. Regarding Covid, the organization started strong with messages of support, but those were quickly replaced with ominous and unclear messaging around returning to the office (mostly about cumbersome safety protocols such as in office temperature checks). While other companies were providing clear timelines for return, L’Oreal USA refused to provide any sense of timing for the NY offices, even as employees were asking daily (many had left the city). When the company finally announced a return to office date (June 29 - 2+ months before most corporate offices), employees received 1 WEEK’S notice that they would be expected back. The announcement also came at 6:45pm the night before Juneteenth, which the company had given employees as a PTO day of cultural observance. This felt like an effort to take advantage of the Juneteenth holiday to minimize swirl over the announcement - really distasteful. L’Oreal is rushing corporate employees back to the office simply for face time, irresponsible both to the health of employees and essential workers who are using public transportation. Employee morale is very low - employees do not feel proud to work for L’Oréal right now.

Continue reading
  2. "Nice working environment"

Current Intern - Intern Marketing in Jakarta

I have been working at L'Oréal for less than a year

Pros

Nice environment, caring one another

Cons

Busy working, traffic jam as always

3. "PR Summer Intern"

Former Intern - Intern Marketing in Seoul

I worked at L'Oréal for less than a year

Pros

Very well-structured internship program, the HR provides you with consistent help

Cons

Your experience will be based on which brand you get assigned to, as each brand has distinct culture

4. "Great start for a career at L'Oreal"

Current Intern - Junior Marketing Associate - 12 months in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at L'Oréal for less than a year

Pros

Large responsibilities, team work, business overview and development

Cons

A full-time position is not guaranteed beyond the 12 month program.

5. "Okay"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate

I have been working at L'Oréal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of training, exposure to senior management, ability to take control of projects early on

Cons

One-sided mobility, lack of diversity in upper management, lack of innovation

6. "very good experience"

Current Intern - Becario De Marketing

I have been working at L'Oréal

Pros

really dynamic, learning a lot! great internship!

Cons

you have to be fast and handling stress well. but it's a great boost for your professional career

7. "A rewarding internship"

Former Intern - Marketing Intern

I worked at L'Oréal

Pros

Lots of responsibility given early on Friendly co-workers Big intern community

Cons

High work load and pressure comes with a lot of responsibility

8. "good first experience"

Former Intern - Digital Marketing Assistant in Sint-Agatha-Berchem, Brussels
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at L'Oréal for less than a year

Pros

A lot of responsibilities from the start

Cons

Lack of flexibility in marketing initiatives because the decisions are made on an international level

"A lot of work and potential at the end if lucky"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in New York, NY

I worked at L'Oréal full-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunities for growth if you work really hard

Cons

Some employees are inundated and drowning in work and others have none. Structure constantly changes too.

L'Oréal Response

June 24, 2020Employer Brand Specialist

We appreciate your feedback and thank you for sharing with us. L’Oréal USA's New York headquarters is home to over 30+ brands with varying teams and efforts. We hear you on structure, we're working to improve our executive communications to make sure all our employees are regularly updated on any corporate changes. We wish you the best on your next project!

10. "Great Adventure"

Current Contractor - Sales & Marketing Coordinator in Milan

I have been working at L'Oréal for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place for achievers and innovators. L'Oreal fosters a very "horizontal" culture, so you get management exposure very fast, all ideas are considered, you are never too far from the decision makers and you can make a difference. Working in L'Oreal, you are often in a position where you feel like a little entrepreneur without risking your own money: you are given more freedom and responsibility than average. There is pressure, but mistakes are accepted as a way to grow. Informal and flexible work culture makes work lighter and funnier. The company also shows real commitment on social responsibility and care for the workers.

Cons

Informal, fast-moving environments come with low standardization of procedural and information flows. To be on top of all the news, to find the answers you need to proceed, is often challenging. You also need strong people skills to be able to "move" people who don't report to you to cooperate.

Continue reading