LEGO Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 17 July 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Lack of work life balance - too many competing priorities" (in 9 reviews)

• "No full time work available as a merchandiser" (in 12 reviews)

"Good for a short time"

I worked at LEGO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I worked with are great but my department
    Good discounts and perks with there rewards program
    Family own company
    Fun product

Cons

No progression- they prefer to hire from the outside instead of promoting the right people from within
    No networking with other departments
    There is a lot of “us and them” in the whole
    No company training and development programs
    Favourism
    The company was growing so fast and now you only a number
    Management is a bit arrogant and rested on the success of the past and didn’t feel like the need to work and improve

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and work on connecting your employees. There is so much talent in this company and if you take the time to develop them and connect your employees they will reach for the stars for you.

You spend so muc time and effort in making the bricks and products perfect. Use the same commitment towards your employees

2. "Great Company to Work For"

I have been working at LEGO full-time

Pros

Fantastic people to work with
    Amazing brand & work culture, good job satisfaction

Cons

Certain things can be slowed down by corporate processes, they are striving to rectify this

"Slightly enjoyable, however very tiring"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at LEGO (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment
    Great working as a team

Cons

Very hardworking (some people view this as a good thing, however I thought it was too much - too strict)
    Management could be quite rude and snappy

"Don't listen to the 20th July review. The reality for at least 1 London store for 95% of us follows."

I worked at LEGO part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The product is fab so it's really easy to be enthusiastic about what you're selling. The job itself can be a lot more fun than most retail jobs. Management has an eye for interesting and fun people (who they suck out dry of life but later in cons) so the social element can be quite good.

Cons

Where to even start? The main con is the management and everything they do really. They use low hour contracts to destabilise and punish people and manipulate behaviour. Not for justifiable reasons, reasons like you said their workshops are boring and you get nothing out of them. If you want people to be stimulated by the workshops and meetings you deliver, improve your material. Many people are not zombies.

Management pick like 4 people they really like because they kiss their behind and clearly sugarcoat how awful and useless they are at their jobs. The rest of you who can't pretend are doomed. Double standards are the only dependable standard for these people.

One of the most insulting things is management pretend how important they are, or forget how small their stores are or that it definitely is mostly just a job, especially that people do part time. We go home and carry on with our lives, and go be human elsewhere. Not allowed at Lego Retail. Instead of being honest that you're probably pursuing something else, but can lend your skills and develop some new ones at a job you mostly have to make money, they want you to act like they cure cancer and are at the forefront of world politics. You are just lucky to be in their presence.

I could write a book for this section, but don't trust the positive review. You may be of the 5 people lucky enough to be treated like a human with skills and talents like that person. If you're not willing to pretend that Lego Retail is not the be all end all of life, good luck. Also to management who will read this, pretending like corporate are "jealous" of retail is a JOKE. Someone working for core Lego group would never swap places with a retail job in a million years. (yep, they actually try to sell this to you - that someone with job stability and better benefits would rather be you haha)

Advice to Management

I would change the management to people with empathy, a grip on reality and business and management savvy altogether. I realise most of these people are probably doing better things than retail management though, so that's a tall order.

"Terrible leadership"

I worked at LEGO full-time

Pros

The product is obviously great.

Cons

Senior management are terrible
    Very boring place to work - no social aspect.

"Market Specialist"

I have been working at LEGO full-time

Pros

A caring company with nice history and values.

Cons

Unfortunately constantly changing the business' direction.

Advice to Management

More consistency and long term vision regarding business strategy.

7. "Great Company And Staff"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England

I worked at LEGO part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff and management team.
    Good staff incentives.

Cons

Store can be busy especially over the Christmas period.
    Some roles can be boring such as greeting.

"Great working and life experience!"

Former Employee - Supervisor in London, England
    Former Employee - Supervisor in London, England

I worked at LEGO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great company ethic. Starting from day one you will learn the LEGO values and you will be asked to understand and embody them. They are life values and they will become part of you and help in your daily work and life. Your managers will provide you with the tools and training necessary to succeed and become an excellent brand ambassador inspiring the kids and people you will be interacting with.
    - Great opportunity to grow. If you are a shy person, you will gain more confidence through the interaction with customers and kids. You will be asked to do different kind of tasks giving you the chance to reinforce your skills and learn new ones. Your managers will guide and help you to be the best version of yourself by encouraging you to do better, coaching you to refine your skills and reward your success. If you exceed your performance, the management will encourage your progression in the company. I was hired as a Seasonal Sale Associate with no previous experience in Retail, rewarded as Employee of the Quarter after 3 months and promoted as a Supervisor after 7 months.
    - Fun environment. A supportive team and a fun atmosphere will make you feel like home. A lot of customers will feel the same and come to visit the store just to say hi to you. All the stores work together helping each others and being in London you will have the chance to meet and work with other people from other London stores, other departments (like the HUB, customer service, marketing and so on) and other countries as well, sharing knowledge and learning from each others. I was involved in the setting, training and opening of Leicester Square Store and I found it rewarding. It gave me the opportunity of feeling a true LEGO ambassador and a part of this big family. Going to work was different and fun everyday.

Cons

There are no Brand Retail Store in some European countries like Italy, Portugal or Spain. I had to move back to my home country and I would have loved to relocate here for a part time job. Hopefully this will change soon!

If you are looking for a job just to make money, this is not the place for you. You will be trained and therefore asked to give an excellent customer service to people and embody the brand values and this is might be too much for people who are not willing to put effort in what they do or go the extra mile.

Advice to Management

The managment was very supportive of me as a person and as part of the company from my District Manager, to my Store Manager and all the other Managers I had the chance to meet. They are focued on seeing and developing the best in people and your success is their success. They are the best models you can have since they truly embody the values of the company and genuinely enjoy their job. Keep up with the good work!

"Customer Adviser LEGO"

I have been working at LEGO full-time

Pros

amazing company
    good employer
    great environment

Cons

no option to grow within the company

"If you like psychopathic managers..."

Former Employee - Store Associate in London, England
    Former Employee - Store Associate in London, England

I worked at LEGO part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The products are great
    - There is a great ethos behind the company... just awful execution.
    - Decent benefits, especially for under 18s. Beyond that, you're just about keeping your head above water.

Cons

- TERRIBLE management in the UK. Having met all of the London regional management, I can confirm that they are legitimately all power-hungry, sadistic psychos.
    - Ignorant HR. Be it because they are genuinely under the impression that everything is hunky-dory, or be it because they are deliberately enabling the poor treatment of staff, there MUST be reform.
    - Stubborn system. Everyone has to do everything, and if you can't do one thing you're made to feel like a complete deadweight. This includes heavy lifting, display changes (where you're there till 10PM), DIY, Customer service, cleaning, leading and standing up with no room for breaks for 8 hours, which leads me on to...
    - Conniving scheduling. Managers putting people they like in good places, those they don't on awful jobs, even when those people are some of the best on the team. I witnessed some of the most incredible LEGO representatives ground into a shell of their former selves by management. Sickening. Furthermore, they'll make your shifts just shy of statutory break rulings to save money, which is all well and good until you're running an event day and people are almost crying from the sheer stress and pressure. Further leading on to...
    - Leicester Square. The worst thing to ever happen to London LEGO employees. I never received my compensation, never was thanked, and my whole finances and work hours were ruined by the constant training of LSQ employees. You should NEVER put other employees at peril for the sake of the companies PR. Honestly, the most disgusting thing I witnessed.

Advice to Management

Leave. Get some fresh blood in, people who actually care about the company's amazing values and ethos and aren't just there for a power trip and free toys. Stratford, especially, needs a huge reshuffle, or just to close down to be honest.