LEGO Store Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

LEGO Chief Executive Officer Niels B. Christiansen
Niels B. Christiansen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Lack of work life balance - too many competing priorities" (in 9 reviews)

• "No full time work available as a merchandiser" (in 12 reviews)

"AWESOME"

Former Employee - Store Manager in West Nyack, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in West Nyack, NY (US)

I worked at LEGO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for LEGO was very interactive, fulfilling and fun. Great work environment with great people that supported a company mission higher than profits. Challenging work made me excited to go in every day. I would recommend working there to anyone in the retail industry. Benefits are top notch!

Cons

Just like anyplace else there are cons. The most enjoyable part of our job is watching kids eyes light up every time they walk into the store. Over the years you build relationships and become part of their family; watching their building skills and enthusiasm for building grow.

LEGO is more than just a toy for some. Brick by brick, you cultivate friendships, live in the moment, make and share memories by providing a escape from the reality that children cope with chronic illness. The hardest CON working at the LEGO Store is coping with the death of children that you have nurtured throughout the years.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and reacting to employee feedback.

"Great Product, Great Job, Terrible Corporate Management"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at LEGO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Super fun retail environment. Positive attitudes and amazing customers (for the most part). Fairly easy for retail. Really good perks and benefits. Early on not focused on sales numbers as much as guest satisfaction, which was refreshing. But 2017 became a year of increased pressure to drive sales.

Cons

Terrible supply chain management. Never had enough of the most popular items that guests wanted. Corporate management is inconsistent at best, giving some employees warning after warning about bad behavior or mistakes, and firing others without cause. Executive leaders slow to react and often seem to be playing catch up, or make hard turns in the opposite direction when the slightest numbers are off. Lags far far behind in retail technology. I was told "we are not an IT company" when I asked why stores couldn't get basic functionalities most other retail chains have had for years. This is a bad mentality in this day and age.

Advice to Management

Be consistent in your messaging. Stop playing personal politics with employees careers and lives. Figure out how to implement simple technologies at the store level that will improve your service and sales. Stop being stingy with manufacturing numbers. It's ridiculous that we at the stores could predict every time what customer demand would be and also know that we would not be sent nearly enough stock to meet demand. Don't make excuses when you can't meet demand, or tell us to "sell them something else". It's not how the retail world works anymore. People want what they want when they want it, or at least the promise that we can send it to them or reserve it when it arrives.

"Positive Overall"

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager

I worked at LEGO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Superb health benefits. Excellent employee incentives, gifts, benefits.

Cons

Constant restructuring leading to lack of job security. No advisory when it comes to performance errors which can lead to immediate termination.

4. "Fun & fulfilling"

I have been working at LEGO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They prioritize fun & encourage taking care of the planet. Great group of people to work with.

Cons

It's hard to promote from within if you won't relocate, but no relocation assistance.

Advice to Management

Continuing to listen to your employees will keep you a top notch employer

5. "A company that truly embraces Play!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at LEGO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Senior/Corporate leadership team is very sincere and not pretentious.
    Nice work/life balance: as a FT salaried SM, I average 40-43 hrs. weekly.
    They promote diversity, especially pushing for more women in top leadership positions.
    Generous employee discount: 50% off
    Family-owned company (Denmark)
    Passionate DM's that encourage store teams to have fun at work!
    This is a job where you truly get paid to play with LEGO all day!

Cons

Daily you witness bad parenting: those who drop their kids off at our store and disappear for several hours.
    Urine accidents
    The occasional rude customer

Advice to Management

None.

"Everything is awesome"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Concord, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Concord, NC (US)

I have been working at LEGO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome family oriented company to work for

Cons

You get to see the bad side of bad parents

"Assistant Store Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

Pros

The LEGO Group as a whole is fantastic. They are smart and caring, and genuinely want the best experience for both their employees and consumers. The pay is competitive for management (although non-management is paid minimum wage, no exceptions), the bonuses are a huge incentive, the discount on products is unbelievable, and we get lots of little perks and gifts from the company.

Cons

Unfortunately, your experience will vary wildly based on who constitutes your middle management. If you have a great district manager who genuinely cares about your store and your individual growth, you will excel. If you are in a district/area that has a management team that is more self-serving and only care about the bottom line, you will stagnate and lose faith in the vision set by the larger company. I have been in both situations, and one was the best working experience of my life, the other the worst.

Advice to Management

Allow your store management the ability to rate the people above them and have a neutral party, like an ombudsman, to mediate conflict and hear feedback. If "People Promise" truly matters to the company, make sure your little people get the same promises as the big ones.

"one of the better retail places to work!"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I have been working at LEGO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family oriented company that really takes care of their employees. quarterly bonuses and a yearly one too. flexible hours. FUN atmosphere. Try out product, take it home to build, great discount. DM and RM come for quarterly visits, so everyone just keeps abreast with everyone and everything.

Cons

It's a considered a HIGH END childrens store. So even though LEGO has high standards on customer service and store presentation, it's difficult to upkeep when kids are wrecking the store and peeing everywhere.

Advice to Management

Always have a reason for whatever you decide to do if it's not per directive. Higher Management actually listens to you.

"LEGO vs LEGO Brand Retail"

I have been working at LEGO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

LEGO Group is focused on quality, imagination, and creativity, and that is evident in every set that is manufactured. They have presented employees with some pretty cool sets as gifts, which, as a LEGO fan, is always a joy to receive.

Cons

I work for LEGO Brand Retail North America, which is still trying to find its way as a retailer. It is slow to innovate, few people in the home office have worked in a retail setting, and feedback from the field is typically not put into action. This makes for some headaches and frustrations that affect the customer experience but are left for field staff to repair. Wages are on the lower end of the spectrum in a retail setting, though, as a pro, the bonus potential for all employees can be gratifying. It is difficult to recommend LEGO Brand Retail as an employer with few opportunities to move into home office positions or for those that enjoy being in collaborative environments.

Advice to Management

The company would do well to solicit and more readily act upon feedback from the field. Particularly, before rolling out customer initiatives, running the ideas by store teams for potential issues that result in customer dissatisfaction would reduce stress and frustrations in the field. Improving proactive communications on changes in direction or new initiatives would also reduce frustrations.

"Great Company to Work For"

Former Employee - Store Assistant Manager in Chandler, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Store Assistant Manager in Chandler, AZ (US)

I worked at LEGO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work with LEGO, interact with kids. Promote from within

Cons

Managers seem to fly in and out

Advice to Management

Offer some explanation to staff about major changes,