Lake Michigan Credit Union Reviews

Found 149 of over 158 reviews

3.8
Lake Michigan Credit Union President and CEO Sandy Jelinski
Sandy Jelinski
Pros
  • "Empower employees and take pride in company culture(in 12 reviews)

• "I think it is a great company with good intentions(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I don't believe Senior Management is truly aware of the workload their staff has(in 3 reviews)

• "Not a lot of opportunity for advancement(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Finance

Current Employee, less than 1 year

It’s good

Sep 10, 2021 - Teller in Grand Rapids, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good training. Great mentor program.

Cons

It’s retail, that’s it. I don’t have enough experience to give a detailed description.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

My teller II experience at LMCU

Sep 5, 2021 - Teller II in Muskegon, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

- This company seemed to be big on training its employees for and promoting its employees to more senior roles, which is a plus for some. - Experienced tellers are given some latitude to make decisions (refunding fees incurred by members, depositing checks without a hold, etc.) - In addition to a 401k, LMCU offers a pension to full time employees - There is paid time off for part time employees

Cons

- Compared to some other financial institutions, tellers here do more involved work, and for less pay. - Raises are small - The company is changing something seemingly all the time; that, coupled with poor communication, makes it hard to keep track of current policies.

3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good culture, weak pay

Sep 13, 2021 - Member Service Representative in Grand Rapids, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Not too hard about sales goals. Great career builder for people without college degrees, or limited college experience.

Cons

Employees hold a great deal of responsibility under the guise of “empowerment.” Base pay recently increased across the board but still feels low.

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Would recommend

Aug 25, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment. Helpful teammates.

Cons

Pay is lower than average.

5. 4.0

Great Career Builder

Aug 7, 2021 - Member Service Representative in Grand Rapids, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent company culture Cross-training opportunities Career Growth

Cons

Pay is not the best Retail work means occasional weekends

6. 5.0

Great company

Jul 19, 2021 - Applications Support Analyst II in Grand Rapids, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

I can't think of any cons

7. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Don't do this to yourself

Aug 17, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

These aren't pros - I only get two headings to type under instead of an empty summary field. A noteworthy shitshow of a financial institution. I'm actually impressed how they've managed to stay in operation. If you join their retail banking side, then welcome to the meat-grinder.

Cons

They emphasize with you that you should learn how to do things on your own, and then the resources to do that don't exist. I cannot count how many times I have tried to research what to do to help members with a query or accomplish something that I should be able to do for them, and the information to do that is not listed in the retail operations manual or anywhere on the intranet, or else the information is out-dated or incomplete. You will learn what proper procedure is via the rumor-mill that is created amongst retail staff to keep this sham up and running. They are eternally understaffed, and this means that you are eternally over-worked. The company can't seem to wrap it's head around the fact that people stay in spite of the terrible customer service brought on by poor training and high turnover. People stay because LMCU is a non-profit and offers the best rates on the market - the customer service is consistently disappointing to members who speak with me and who speak with my coworkers. As an aside, considering the amount of Wells Fargo-ian fraud I've seen here, I wouldn't recommend working here OR banking here unless you are hoping to experience what NCUA coverage is like firsthand. I had read on a different glassdoor review before I started that people don't have the right attitude when they work here. I'll let you in on what the right attitude is: You are a replaceable employee leeching off of LMCU's success and you better act happy about it. Some of you might be thinking that this is the case everywhere, but LMCU will do you the service of making it painfully clear that you mean jack-shit to them. Your job will be extremely hard and stressful, and this will seem easily remediable to you as you think of simple solutions that no one will ever care to implement. This place will take what professionalism and work-ethic you possess and try to crush it out of you. Don't do it. Unless you've never worked for an FI before and feel the need to just get a foot in the door and go somewhere else, but you might be sour to the industry as a whole after working here.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 4.0

Lmcu

Jul 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company culture is positive and displayed to members and staff.

Cons

PTO could be combined into one instead of personal, sick, and vacation

9. 3.0
      Former Employee

Decent pay

Jul 5, 2021 - Teller in Grand Rapids, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fair pay for the position, part time comes with sekect benefits as well as a 401k option

Cons

No health/dental insurance, bereavement leave, personal time for part timers

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Good

Jun 9, 2021 - Quality Control in Indiana, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work here

Cons

None to speak of today

Viewing 1 - 10 of 149 Reviews