Lake Michigan Credit Union Employee Reviews about "company culture"

Updated Jan 22, 2021

Found 12 of over 158 reviews

3.8
Lake Michigan Credit Union President and CEO Sandy Jelinski
Sandy Jelinski
Pros
  • "Empower employees and take pride in company culture(in 12 reviews)

• "I think it is a great company with good intentions(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I don't believe Senior Management is truly aware of the workload their staff has(in 3 reviews)

• "Not a lot of opportunity for advancement(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "company culture"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Place to work

Jan 22, 2021 - MSR I in Grand Rapids, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company, Culture based with great morals to support and educated its members

Cons

Very reactive based company. Changes are sometimes made as a response to loss

2. 4.0

Great Company!

Nov 1, 2020 - Teller II in Jenison, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Empower employees and take pride in company culture

Cons

Rate of pay may be low compared to competitors

3. The latest conversations about Finance

82 Comments

Join the conversation on
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to work for

Dec 14, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Managers genuinely care about employees Company culture Generous PTO for full-time employees 38 hour work week for full-time employees Ability to grow within the company

Cons

Pay is a bit lower than average for some positions

5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Decent company to work for

Nov 3, 2018 - Teller
      Business Outlook

Pros

Weekly pay, offers chances to volunteer within the community, good company culture and vision,

Cons

Scheduling time off is a hassle, referral goals unrealistic for part time employees, Opportunities to advance not common within Kalamazoo area.

6. 5.0
      Former Employee

Teller II

Oct 16, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company culture, support and opportunity for advancement

Cons

compensation could have been better

7. 3.0
      Current Employee

I AM LMCU is killing employee morale

Apr 21, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company culture is great, real desire to give to the community. Products are competitive so not hard to sell.

Cons

Benefits are terrible. Too much focus on the members, not enough on the employees (I AM LMCU initiative in particular, very hard to get a 3% raise for exceeding all metrics but see the company paying peoples loans and giving random deposits to member accounts)

11 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great culture, poor pay.

Apr 11, 2017 - Msr
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company culture is great here! LMCU really promotes innovation and is an enjoyable place to work.

Cons

While LMCU gives back to its' members, the credit union fails to stay to stay competitive with employee earnings. Raises are now capped at 3% compared to 5%, incentives are harder to qualify for, even for the best employees. Each location/department currently makes a mortgage, credit card, and loan payment every month with the new I am LMCU initiative but employees are underpaid.

6 people found this review helpful

Human Resource Generalist I

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us on Glassdoor.com. I'm so happy that you enjoy our wonderful culture and our initiatives like I AM LMCU. We sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding our compensation and current pay scales. I can assure you that we are taking these things into consideration as we evaluate our positions. I also appreciate your comments regarding management. Continuing to empower our managers and develop all employees professionally is something our HR and Organizational Development Departments are striving for with various initiatives. Thank you again for your time and suggestions!

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Awesome Culture! Great Company!

Dec 20, 2016 - Director Organizational Development in Grand Rapids, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

The organization is a not-for-profit organization. Why is this important? We don't answer to Shareholders looking for big dividends each quarter. Employees are empowered and encouraged to always do the right thing for our Members. LMCU's profits are spent on enhancing the financial lives of our members (for example: 3% interest paid on Max Checking account). A lot of money and manpower is spent helping out the communities we serve. The Company culture is amazing. Very empowering and gratifying.

Cons

Because the organizational growth has been organic and fast, we have gone from being a small company, to a mid-large size company quickly. We are still figuring out how to gain organizational efficiencies, while maintaining our "member centric" spirit and focus.

3 people found this review helpful

Human Resource Generalist I

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review for us. You’re so right about the empowering and gratifying culture that exists at LMCU! We believe it’s so important to cultivate an awesome company culture, and to turn that outward to our members as well. It’s all part of what sets us apart, and it’s wonderful to hear that our employees feel that way, too. We also really appreciate your feedback regarding our rapid growth and leadership team. I definitely believe that there is value in investing time in proactively improving processes. Thank you again for your feedback and review!

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Manager Full Time, Excellent Career Growth

Dec 12, 2016 - Branch Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

101 best companies to work for, National and Statewide for a good reason. I have worked here for 5+ years as a teller, member service representative, and currently a branch manager. LMCU has invested many resources to make the best company culture to work in. You are family when you work for LMCU. Your opinion is heard and your future matters. Consider more than the annual salary, consider your benefits, 401 K, Pension, Health Benefits/Cost, and other family circumstances. LMCU is in the banking industry, but family life is valued here.

Cons

I know I could be making more annually working for another company. However, I do not feel for the companies that have approached me they would provide me the results and growth LMCU has. My con in regards to income, is a pro, as LMCU has invested into my career growth and recognized that I as an individual wanted to show the leadership capacity to serve at higher levels. Income will come in the future.

2 people found this review helpful

Human Resource Generalist I

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review for us. What an awesome testament to LMCU’s commitment to our company culture, and our opportunity for growth! Being a part of the 101 Best & Brightest Companies to Work For is something that we are so proud of, and we are happy that you love our family atmosphere as much as we do. We love to see our employees progressing through their career paths, moving up to different positions from Teller to Manager, such as yourself. There is so much opportunity for our employees, and we are happy that you have found your place here. We also appreciate your constructive comments regarding our current compensation model. Please know that we are going to take this into consideration. Again, we sincerely appreciate your feedback. We are happy that you have grown with us at LMCU! Thanks again.

11. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A great organization to work at

Dec 13, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company culture is outstanding here. Over the course of my career, I've experienced a variety of cultures, and this by far is the best. The people who work at LMCU are very friendly and personable.

Cons

A formerly smaller organization that at times struggles with the mindset needed of a rapidly growing organization, but progress is being made.

Human Resource Generalist I

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us on Glassdoor. We are so happy that you love our company culture as much as we do. It truly does make a difference when your co-workers are passionate about their jobs. We sincerely appreciate your comments regarding our growth, and we are happy that you can see our progress as well. Transparency is definitely something that we strive for, and I think employees like you leaving reviews on Glassdoor.com is a great place to start. Thanks again!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 Reviews