Langan Engineering and Environmental Services Reviews

Updated 10 Sep 2020

4.1
Langan Engineering and Environmental Services President & CEO David T. Gockel
David T. Gockel
Pros
  • "Comfortable work environment with friendly employees who are very helpful with learning everything(in 26 reviews)

• "Really great work environment and great people(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance can be tough, high demands on time commitment(in 32 reviews)

• "Everyone works long hours but there is overtime pay/ comp time(in 19 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Learn and Grow Your Career"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Northeast, NY

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working at Langan, you will get the opportunity to truly grow your craft as you learn more about what it means to be an engineering consultant or environmental scientist.

Cons

No two days will be the same. I have been working here for nearly 20 years and I still learn something new - each day.

Continue reading
  2. "Build your career here"

Current Employee - Principal, Vice President in Doylestown, PA

Pros

At Langan, we work on some of the most challenging engineering and environmental projects in the nation and there is never dull day. We apply real science to deriving solutions for our clients. The diversity of challenges is stimulating, and our colleagues are some of the most talented professionals in the field. Our culture is one of support, and partnership, and we work together across all offices to solve problems. We also embrace and empower our entrepreneurs, ad this leads to constant growth and change.

Cons

There are no downsides in my opinion and I've worked for several firms before joining Langan.

3. COVID-19

"Challenging Opportunities; Strong Culture Permeates the Virtual Landscape"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time

Pros

- Management and overall employee population truly care about one another, both in terms of professional success and on a personal level. - Some of the brightest and most passionate individuals in the industry work here, and they are eager to share their knowledge. - Excellent benefits. - Challenging/diverse projects and a focus on internal learning & development create a lot of opportunity for professional development. - Strong Onboarding and Performance Management programs set employees up for success.

Cons

- More so a product of COVID 19, it is difficult to benefit from the in-person synergies of being in the office. However, the company has been transparent and proactive with communications to keep employees engaged and in-the-know, and has provided the tools to be as collaborative as possible in the virtual world.

4. "A great place to grow your career"

Current Employee - Principal in Parsippany, NJ

Pros

Great projects, amazing mentoring, no boundaries to career growth, competitive salary and benefits, the company values its employees and is heavily invested in them. High performance culture conducive to career growth, but the company values work-life balance and offers flexibility in work hours.

Cons

High-performance culture - so, a con if one is not looking for a career and is interested in just skating by.

5. "Employee"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very pleasant work environment here

Cons

There aren't any cons here

6. "Almost a great firm to work for"

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fair compensation, good benefits, opportunities to "stretch" your career. I was always appreciative of the "pros" and they are why I stayed at Langan for many years. Leadership is comprised of some very special people worth getting to know.

Cons

Unforgiving work load that had one week extending into the next. High performers are rewarded with an impossible schedule of committee assignments and miscellaneous chores that make completion of project work difficult. Technical experts will have a tough time defining a role and finding their path. Male dominated, though I believe that is recognized.

Continue reading

"Good company but too political and clicky"

Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

High end private projects Exposure with other engineers, architects, GCs Good learning for entry level engineers

Cons

Mean culture. Good engineers but terrible managers. Always bringing down people Hard work but not compensated properly 2/3 of managers are not technically sound but rely on the other 1/3 for advise Clicky groups who favor people they like in spite of their deficiencies

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services Response

Corporate Human Resource Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Langan prides itself on the ability to provide an unmatched combination of our people’s technical excellence, practical experience, and client responsiveness on some of the most well known projects in the world. We are pleased to see that you enjoy these aspects of your employment with us. However, it is concerning to hear your feedback regarding other aspects of your employment – and our firm. At Langan, we have always worked to maintain the highest ethical standards in all that we do. Supporting our employees’ confidence by conducting ourselves with integrity is a key to our success. Managers are responsible for promoting a culture of integrity, including a positive working environment in which people are treated with dignity and respect. As such, we foster an environment where employees are respected as individuals and are supported and rewarded on the basis of ability, effort and individual merit. Langan fosters an inclusive workplace that is conducive to open communication regarding business practices, ethical standards and employee engagement. We encourage employees that have concerns to discuss them with us so that they can be reviewed and addressed. Again, thank you for your feedback.

8. "Hard to leave, hard to stay."

Current Employee - Senior Staff Geologist

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, salaries are generally competitive.

Cons

There is a culture that promotes overworking and silos abound.

9. "Good place to start, not to stay"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer II

Pros

Good place to learn the basics

Cons

Challenging work life balance, frequent forced social events

10. "Most employees are overworked and underpaid"

1.0

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Comparable benefits to other organizations

Cons

Career growth is heavily dependent on your social skills and not your technical knowledge. The emphasis on how much to bill your clients was always emphasized by leadership and felt gross.

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services Response

Corporate Human Resource Manager

We are appreciative of your feedback, and thank you for your review. Langan’s focus on technical excellence is part of our mission and contributes to our Firm’s and our clients’ overall success. It is a large part of what differentiates our firm from others, which is why we are disappointed to hear your opinion that career growth isn’t associated with technical knowledge. We understand how critical it is to provide an environment where employees can grow in their careers, and that is why we invest significantly on technical training and development opportunities, as well as soft-skills training, mentorship, and coaching for employees and managers at all levels. As a professional services firm, we reinforce the importance of transparency in tracking chargeable and billable hours. We are sorry that you did not have a positive experience with respect to the way this information was communicated to you, and thank you for bringing it to our attention. We consistently seek ways to enhance our communications and processes to ensure consistent delivery and thorough understanding. We appreciate your feedback.

Found 231 reviews