Langan Engineering and Environmental Services Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 28 Oct 2019

4.1
Langan Engineering and Environmental Services CEO David T. Gockel
David T. Gockel

"Good company for extroverts and single 20-somethings"

Former Employee - Environmental Engineer

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits Comp time & flexible schedule Fair pay Staff are generally friendly and inclusive Higher-up management is awesome.

Cons

Work life balance can suffer greatly with 50-hour+ weeks and on-call weekends the norm, not the exception, in certain positions. Misled about project role during interview Have witnessed a lot of scapegoating and general nitpicking over small things to the point staff leave. Can be overwhelming for introverts If you complain of burn-out, it is treated as a weakness and "noticed". If you want to turn... down a role due to oher health or family obligations, you may slowly be phased into it regardless. Very corporate Some managers tear down their staff for small things and consistently berate them with direct or indirect, snide and condescending remarks and email (e.g. jokes about people's weight, religion, intellect or life choices). Push for health and safety, yet managers will fun people on consecutive 16-hr days and wonder why work quality suffers

Advice to Management

The company is nice overall. CEO and upper management are awesome. There are a few who have exhibited a pattern of bad behavior toward staff level employees. Try to fix the work/life balance. Do not treat burn-out like a 4-letter word. We will all die and each one of us is replaceable. The last thing I ever want is to regret not spending that time with the ones I love and care for outside of work.

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services2019-02-23

"Corporate ladder left little to imagination"

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time

Pros

education opportunities enabled me to perfect my CAD drawing skills

Cons

I looked at my boss and thought, is that what I want to be doing in 5 years? The answer was no.

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services2019-02-27

"Great company for entry level, but moving up isn't only a function of time at company"

Former Employee - Staff Engineer

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Work on high-profile projects - Paid overtime - Good healthcare for singles - Passionate colleagues - Entrepreneurial (If you want to advance, it won't be handed to you. You need to show initiative and look for opportunities be more involved, i.e. joining local groups/clubs, networking, developing strong relationships while performing field work, create actionable plan with supervisor for advancement) - Staff... level people are generally fun to work with

Cons

- I would like to see a higher 401k match, they only match up to 3%. - Company can be top heavy depending on office location (may be stuck as an inspector or staff level for some time) - No matter what you do in your office, sometimes there is no space to advance to project level due to too many managers and not enough work to justify a new project level position. This is 100% location specific, so be open to... moving to different offices for new growth opportunities. You can make a place for yourself here. - Hours can be long and affect work/life balance, but this is part of the construction industry - Field work can become monotonous depending on the office location (if a certain type of work is their bread and butter, this is how it goes) - Pay is only on par with market if you are working overtime at the staff level (which is basically guaranteed). They offer lower starting salaries, but with overtime your salary should be on par with the market or higher. You are essentially paid as an hourly employee as your inspection work is billed hourly to the client.

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services2019-01-18

"Environmental Staff Engineer"

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time

Pros

Great Community and amazing benefits

Cons

Work can be sporadic at times

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services2018-12-31

"First Month Review"

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Miami, FL

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Top engineering firm with challenging project. * Nice offices with full benefits. * Offices nation wide in major cities with flexible transfer policy. *Great IT and technology.

Cons

* Long work hours * Lots of field work and overtime without upward mobility to project manager position quickly. * Less work life balance. * Little room for error. *Same pay if based in home office and required to relocate for a couple months.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately suffered my first bipolar mania episode after being overworked during my first month on the job. (rare genetic condition that occurs ~age 25) The transition from school to work was too demanding at the beginning. No support from the team during episode or advise seeking medical treatment. Discharged from the company and felt discriminated afterwards for a condition that is easily treated through... medication. Principle engineer originally made the position seem an indoor work environment, but quickly was 100% outside in a hot environment a person with my condition can not perform. Pushed into accepting position by denying it if not accepted offer within a week. Overtime seem required given the under staffing that can sometimes occur or difficult hiring qualified engineers in local market. Furthermore, accepted position at competing local firm with compensation in excess of $100,000 per year for starting position. No problems with other firm and accommodates medical condition reasonably well.

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services2019-01-25
  6. "Administrative Assistant"

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services part-time

Pros

Very professional environment, understanding

Cons

Not a lot of upward mobility

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services2019-01-03
  7. "From Former Staff Engineer"

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time

Pros

Talented and capable engineering firm.

Cons

Work schedule is very aggressive.

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services2018-12-14
  8. "Langan is a great place to be!"

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time

Pros

Great leadership across the company. Staff to Principal levels work together side by side. It's a very diverse company which makes for a great place to learn and grow.

Cons

Consulting is not for everyone. We are expected to be highly responsive to our clients, and that environment does not always work for all.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Langan is great place to work and continues to hire great people.

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services2018-11-26
  9. "Outstanding employer"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to learn, full of people who care about you and take the time to teach you the business, awesome benefits, competent managers and senior staff

Cons

Some long days, but that’s to be expected in consulting

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services2018-11-27
  10. "Great company"

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time

Pros

They have a great work culture.

Cons

Sometimes the projects can be quite boring.

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services2018-11-16