LateRooms.com Manchester Reviews

Updated 9 Feb 2020

3.4
LateRooms.com Executive Chairman Hugo Kimber (no image)
Hugo Kimber
  1. "Learnt so much"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Manchester, England

I have been working at LateRooms.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxed friendly fun with some real culture both in terms of the work and social

Cons

Pay wasn’t the best

LateRooms.com2020-02-09
  2. "Overall nice place to work"

Current Contractor - QA Engineer in Manchester, England

I have been working at LateRooms.com for more than a year

Pros

Some great people Great office Good family spirit Great chance to progress career

Cons

Haven't come across any so far

LateRooms.com2020-01-02
  3. "Nice place to work but mixed messages from above"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Manchester, England

I worked at LateRooms.com for less than a year

Pros

- Nice office - City centre location - Friendly team - Interesting people

Cons

- Mixed messages from higher management - Projects kicked off then closed down (wasted time and effort)

LateRooms.com2019-10-29
  4. "Review"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Manchester, England

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance, management easy to talk to

Cons

nothing really, all just fine.

LateRooms.com2019-07-10

"Hoping everything works out ok"

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Manchester, England

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The majority of the people are hard working, friendly and will genuinely help you out and make you feel welcome. I worked at LR for many years and count a lot of colleagues as friends. The office location is good and near enough to transport and places to eat. The company benefits recently got improved, including holidays and staff vouchers. Working hours are relatively flexible depending on your manager. Moving jobs/positions within the company is good, they will generally give you a lot of support if you're changing roles in the business. The technologies are pretty up to date. Agile way of working.

Cons

The salary is truly awful compared to the average in the area. Bad vibes in the Manchester office which all seem to centre around one specific staff member. No one seems to believe in the product. No one knows what the target audience is and the relevent teams don't appear to be given any resources to properly research who the product is aimed at. People losing faith in the company following on from recent news articles regarding missed payments and share prices falling. I see in a lot of reviews on here that the company respond to, advising people to raise concerns with managers/HR, but the same issues get raised over and over again and the people who are at fault never get reprimanded. It's a shame as the company used to be a global business with offices around the globe catering for many different countries. I'd really like to see Laterooms thrive again and be what it used to be in the market place.

LateRooms.com2019-07-13
  6. "Continuous improvement culture and staff engagement focus"

4.0

I have been working at LateRooms.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are always the focus at Laterooms and have been since I started. The team work is fantastic and the opportunities for challenge and growth among staff is like nowhere I have ever worked before. There are challenges like with every changing business but the open and honest culture allows people to talk through the issues and try to work them through without fear of reproach or judgement which is refreshing. The HR team are working tirelessly on making staff benefits better and more aligned for all and they take a lot of criticism without the understanding that they are a very small team and stretched in a lot of directions. Personally I have always had someone I can turn to if I needed advice or a sounding board which cannot be said for many HR teams I have worked with previously. The absence of a CTO at present seems to have solidified the IT leadership team and allowed a more direct line into the board - feedback to this effect has been submitted to the SLT directly and it is very positive to hear that staff are secure in times of change. There are always areas to improve in any organisation but the bonus of LateRooms is that staff are listened to and the organisation as a whole are genuinely trying to make improvements wherever possible to ensure the success of the business and the people that make the place.

Cons

Things tend to take time at Laterooms when business wide change is required it would be good to see the organisation as a whole be more agile to deliver internal changes at pace. Senior people need to get out of the shrinking mindset - the organisation structure had to change to move forwards and build a new product. That product is now live and we need to shift the mentality of cost cutting and trimming down to support our future growth plans - stop challenging staff replacements with lesser roles and start to understand that we must support partners to the best of our ability and to do that we cannot run as lean as we have been in recent years.

LateRooms.com2019-06-11

July 5, 2019HR Assistant

Thank you for your valuable feedback, we are happy to hear your positive thoughts on our culture and the opportunity you have had to be a apart of our exciting transformation to a B2B proposition. The business works hard to ensure that the benefits it offers, rightly awards our employees for their hard work and commitment to their roles. We know there is always room for improvement, and we are always keen to hear ideas and suggestions from all employees on how we can make this an even better place to work. As you have shared, the business needed to change to move forward and we have made great progress with this now we have gone live with a number of UK National partners. In order to continue being successful in this, we need to ensure governance is in place to ensure the right decisions are made for the business. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us again, we hope you continue to enjoy working at LateRooms.com.

"Toxic atmosphere, constant loss of staff, poor pay rates and misdirected"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at LateRooms.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good annual leave (increased at start of 2019 as struggling to recruit/retain staff) Some flexibility in working hours Get £100 voucher to spend on Sperbreak.com per year. If you do really well and someone leaves, you get to do their work too. Current acting CTO (and owner) Hugo Kimber is a great guy, open and honest with a good outlook for the company.

Cons

Toxic atmosphere. SLT are misdirected by SMT People in higher technical positions are not technical and have no clue how things work. Do not pay market rate. When someone leaves, they are generally not replaced like for like, responsabilites dived between whoever is left or replacement is a junior /less experienced role forcing a dilution in skills and more pressure other team members. HR ignore staffs advice on how to improve. Money is tight, the investors have had no return on their investment in the new brand and therefore will not invest any more monies. Stupid decisions are made which result in costing the company money, where this money could be invested in staff or equipment. Company is being swallowed up by bigger fish in market, each year decreases in size and profits, future outlook not looking too great.

LateRooms.com2019-06-10

July 5, 2019HR Assistant

Thank you for the detailed review. We appreciate the feedback regarding the company benefits as the business as undertaken a huge amount of work to enhance LateRooms.com benefits and appreciate our employees for all their hard work. You are right, recruitment is highly competitive in Manchester and we have been focusing our efforts around how we attract and retain the best talent as needed for the business. The company has undergone a huge amount of transformation, shifting from a B2C only proposition to incorporate B2B and have seen great success with on-boarding UK national partners. This is a growing part of our business, but we are still maintaining our existing consumer brands all lead by Hugo Kimber our Executive Chairman. We are sorry that you didn't feel we took your suggestions or feedback on board as we work hard to operate an open a door policy for any employee to raise questions or suggestions. This can be either to any member of the management team or HR through various forums like our Company town halls, Q&A with the board, Ask HR forums etc. If you would like to discuss this feedback, please don't hesitate to get in touch via HR@malvern.group.

"Negative atmosphere"

2.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at LateRooms.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are really great, I enjoy working them and some became friends. Technologies being used are quite up to date and nice to work with. Good communication with weekly emails and monthly town halls. Good company benefits.

Cons

Profit is made by redundancies and cutting costs which has caused a lot of negativity in the past. The salary is not really competitive and the management lacks of listening to their people. That's probably why the company is suffering from loosing their most valuable employees. They can't even keep lots of new hired people for too long. By not hiring enough well-skilled people in order to compensate people leaving, the product development stagnates, causing an unfinished product to be sold to companies and developers to work over hours to deliver and stress themselves out. Nevertheless, by working with modern technologies you can build up your skill set and CV, which helps getting the foot in the door for better roles elsewhere.

LateRooms.com2019-02-01

February 5, 2019HR Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to share the review. Here at Late Rooms we work hard to engage our people and have recently added a host of new employee benefits (including increase in annual leave, introduction of a new healthcare cash plan scheme and annual travel experiences voucher) to our already existing benefits package. Our remuneration package including Company benefits is regularly reviewed to ensure that it remains competitive. It’s always disappointing to hear if someone feels they have not received a positive experience with us. Our people are the driving force behind what we do and we highly value the feedback provided by our employees. This is why we operate an open door policy and have a number of communication channels that encourage two way feedback such as our Town Halls, Q&A sessions directly with the Board, “Ask HR” forums, employee engagement surveys and through 1:1’s with line managers etc. Our talent acquisition and onboarding process is designed to hire suitably qualified candidates for our vacancies and where required support their development. The business has altered significantly to enable us to successfully deliver on its B2B strategy while maintaining our existing B2Cs brands. If you would like to speak with us directly about your experience, then please to a member of the management team or the HR team as we would appreciate the opportunity to your feedback through with you.

"Great bunch and super tech. Highly recommend"

Former Contractor - Contract Web Developer in Manchester, England

I worked at LateRooms.com for less than a year

Pros

Cutting edge technology; GraphQL, React, Redux Observables to solve some really interesting and challenging problems. Great talent and fantastic place to learn and up-skill. Very talented team who are always happy to pair program. The environment is very social and friendly. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a challenge alongside a great team.

Cons

Getting code approved occasionally took a while and it could sometimes take a day or so to get things merged.

LateRooms.com2018-08-01

August 2, 2018CTO

Thank you for your response. Great to hear that you have had such a positive experience with LateRooms :-)

"Average"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Enjoyed my time with the company, was full of lots of great people who became friends. Lot's of scope for creation and not micro-managed!

Cons

Little progression to be made and the company is going downhill rapidly. The IT department seem to be very unaware of what is happening with the rest of the business (eg. redundancies etc) as nothing is shared between the two sides of the business.

LateRooms.com2018-08-08