Law Business Research Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in London, England

I worked at Law Business Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Didn't want to leave! The people I worked with are absolutely amazing. Friendly and casual work environment. No dress codes and flexible working hours. I felt supported and professionally challenged.

Cons

The office is definitely small for the amount of people working there altough the location couldn´t be better.

Advice to Management

From my observation and experience at the Marketing team, the management cares about the employees and try to do what's necessary to advance the employees' career.

"Great opportunity for development"

I worked at Law Business Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some amazing people working at LBR, they really do make the difference. LBR is currently going through an integration with another company which will make the business more present in the market and bring some shared skills across the business as well as making the products more digital, I can only see this being a positive for both organisations.
    There is plenty of opportunity for individuals to take charge of their careers and develop in their roles, they have a lot of autonomy and exposure to clients very early on in their career. There are also learning and development opportunities to help you upskill in certain areas. There is a friendly, social and informal culture but with an emphasis on doing the right thing for the client.

Cons

The two business are working in different locations at the moment, but there are plans for them to come together in one building. That will make it easier for collaboration.

"Both worlds"

I have been working at Law Business Research full-time

Pros

- flexitime hours
    - extensive travel is available

Cons

- not many progression opportunities
    - find yourself working overtime due to heavy workload

Advice to Management

Get training!

"Could fix most issues, but just won't."

I worked at Law Business Research full-time

Pros

Fun, social, highly educated, young staff. Great office location in Notting Hill. Most teams have semi-regular travel opportunities that are rare especially for grad/early career jobs. Serious drinking culture. Great starter job in that it's incredibly marketable when you look for your next job (pretty easy to get interviews) and you can learn a lot, quickly. If you are intrinsically motivated and able to navigate opaque office politics, there are possibilities to do good work and make good contacts.

Cons

Travel opportunities and supposed flexibility used as excuses for shockingly poor pay and oddly negative, almost confused management style. Communication is all over the place. Flexibility for employees' schedules allotted seemingly arbitrarily. Much of management is aggressively hands off, and impressively complacent. There are many exceptions to this of course, but the structure they work within makes their good intentions look like an absolute grind, and I really don't envy them for it at all. I also don't blame them for giving up eventually. This also removes any motivation to stick around for any advancement opportunities available within the company.

HR is better than in the past, but others' exit interview content was leaked several times during my time there - I don't even think you can blame the youth of the company employees for this level of unprofessionalism. Two month notice period also complicates moving on to next role.

Company solidly founded in old boys club culture. While the numbers m/f are pretty equal in management, the culture prevails structurally despite the predominantly liberal political culture. I'd love to see a full gender pay spread, because significant anecdotal evidence suggests it could be embarrassing for them. I hope I'm wrong.

Everyone I keep in touch with who left the company said the culture damaged either their motivation, self-confidence, and/or overall happiness levels in some way. On this point alone I would say the positives of the job might not end up being worth it.

Advice to Management

Stop making promises you can't keep. Surely it isn't worth 'tricking' people into taking a job for them to quickly become resentful when they realise you lied to them during recruitment. It breeds resentment, and significantly harms individual productivity right off the bat. I don’t understand how there can be an upside to this.

Pay people more. Telling people they shouldn't be talking to each other about their salaries is laughable - also, people wouldn't be discussing it openly if it wasn't so obviously a bad situation, especially as we’re proudly told how profitable the company is on a regular basis.

There are definitely enough positives about the job to sell to the people who are worth employing anyway, and a teeny bit of actual (not promised and backed out of) flexibility and positive reinforcement would make a world of difference.

5. "OK for filling a CV gap"

I worked at Law Business Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- office is in a great location
    - some really nice, friendly colleagues

Cons

- unsupportive, artificial HR with 0 transparency
    - no real scope for career progression
    - very little formal training
    - disorganized
    - dated office
    - total boys club - female members of staff are given different standards to meet for promotion/progression, and frequently outperform male counterparts but generally receive less recognition for it
    - very high employee turnover which is indicative of a larger problem

Advice to Management

Take note of when your employees are unhappy. It's more often than you think. I'd be curious to see the company's gender pay gap report and the rate of promotions for men vs women.

"Casual friendly workplace"

I worked at Law Business Research part-time

Pros

Laid back and sociable office with very friendly staff.

Cons

Could be more challenging

"Lots of change (mostly good)"

I have been working at Law Business Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of change has happened since the founders left the business. It means more focus on targets but the approach to clients is more co-ordinated and there's much more being spent on training.

Cons

The office is getting tight for space. It's in a good location but probably time to look for somewhere bigger/better equipped.

Advice to Management

There's been more information coming from management about the business. I'd like to know more.

"do not recommend"

I worked at Law Business Research full-time

Pros

close to tube station

Cons

law pay, standard benefits, no career progression opportunities, bullying culture, run down neighborhood

"Terrible place to work - do not apply!"

I worked at Law Business Research full-time

Pros

No pros for this company

Cons

Bad work ethic, management are terrible and inconsistent. Pretty much just a tele sales job but awful pay for what they expect.

"Would not recommend."

Former Employee - News Reporter in London, England
    Former Employee - News Reporter in London, England

I worked at Law Business Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's close to Portobello Road, which is a great area in West London - so good for lunch options. There are lots of nice staff.

Cons

The management is opaque, unresponsive and unsupportive. As a news reporter , I found that managers paid lip service to innovation but were never willing to encourage journalists to pursue features or story ideas beyond toeing the line of legal churnalism. While I can't speak for other departments, journalists were undervalued and underpaid. Editors have no experience as journalists outside of a narrow legal beat, and often appear to feel threatened rather than inspired by journalists in other fields. A toxic culture exists among editors who talk down imagination and creativity rather than nurturing it among their staff. At the top end, Exco seems more concerned with maximizing profits and growing the business than doing anything about the woeful turnover rates and low morale. If you're a young reporter looking for your first gig, I'd look elsewhere. There are pitifully few opportunities for career progression unless you want to be a legal editor.

Advice to Management

Editorial management should invest in and cultivate the ideas and creativity of reporters. Don't just pay lip service to caring about the editorial team: show you mean business by encouraging them to use new technologies and to explore ideas in depth. Stop being threatened by people who show a genuine interest in or enthusiasm for journalistic careers, or else end up like the inhabitants of Plato's cave, forever looking at the shadows on the wall that represent the outside world - and never venturing into it for yourself.