Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.4
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Director Bill Goldstein
Bill Goldstein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is the biggest advantage" (in 113 reviews)

• "I see the lab working hard to be a great place to work, which it is" (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • "Being a government contractor does mean there is a lot of red tape" (in 40 reviews)

• "Of course, the cost of living in the Bay Area makes the 'good' salaries not reach as far" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Intern"

Pros

Great organization with a meaningful mission. Will not find a better government job in the country.

Cons

Bureaucracy and red tape, which is expected.

2. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance, flexible work schedule options, very steady and secure job, great/supportive management

Cons

Subject to some government bureaucracy, but that just comes with the territory

3. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance. A lot of opportunities to grow. Great benefits

Cons

Can easily get lost in the environment.

4. "Nice place to work"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Great people, great projects, competitive salaries

Cons

Fast paced, old culture is tough to break through

5. "Excellent place for a CAREER"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Livermore, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Livermore, CA (US)

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a scientist at the Lab, I have had a range of 'jobs,' all interesting and relevant to the needs of the country. I have done some great research and also worked in a more applied/operational area. My work life balance is pretty great and teamwork has been a total plus within the groups I have been a part of. The benefits are excellent as well.

Cons

While pay is good, the process to increase your pay is in small steps, so you have to take the long view regarding your salary trajectory. Of course, the cost of living in the Bay Area makes the 'good' salaries not reach as far. There is the bureaucracy associated with working at a national lab, of course, but I have adjusted to that as a necessary evil. Also, the priorities of sponsors can sometimes change faster than we are able to which means you can end up being tasked with a lot of short turnaround offshoot projects that are aimed to impress sponsors and bring in more money. These are not always effective.

Advice to Management

Continue the work toward making the Lab a flexible, diverse, and welcoming work environment. The changes are being felt around the lab and they are welcomed.

6. "Fitness Attendant"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory part-time

Pros

great people,flexible hours,great for students

Cons

lower pay, lots of sitting

Advice to Management

more job opportunities for youth

"Very nice place to work"

Current Employee - Writer/Editor in Livermore, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Writer/Editor in Livermore, CA (US)

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary and perks, friendly people excellent work/life balance. They do not run you into the ground. They allow you to explore where you're happiest and may pay for additional education needed.

Cons

Doesn't have the sexiness of Silicon Valley, but real work is done here.

Advice to Management

Focus on the value of the work. Don't try to compete with Silicon Valley on the holy grail du jour, whether "diversity" or other.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

11 Oct 2018 – Recruiting Group Leader

Thank you for your review. LLNL has very good perks/benefits and also offers education assistance for eligible employees. We hope you are able to take advantage of these benefits!

"Great Company - A little Old School Culture"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Livermore, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Livermore, CA (US)

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exhilarating projects
    Great coworkers
    Smart peers
    One of a kind infrastructure and equipment
    Large campus, feels almost like an industrial park meets college
    Great learning opportunities
    Important work
    Alternative work schedules available depending on the group

Cons

The culture I believe is changing, but it's an older culture. Recognition is usually based on years of service instead of merit or tangible delivery of goals.
    This is also starting to change, but it is a very male dominated company and not much diversity, most people are Caucasian.

Advice to Management

While the work done at LLNL is challenging, I believe that the biggest challenge facing the lab is figuring out how to keep good people from leaving. The workforce today is motivated by different things than the workforce of the past, but there is still a very large senior workforce at the lab. This means that you will need to be empathetic to both sets of people. There have been studies that say that the generation at the interface between X and millennials make good leaders today because they understand those that came before them and those that came after. I recommend involving people with this type of understanding and empathy in groups that make decisions for the company that affect the culture and values. I think that this will lead to longer lasting effects that keep the workforce healthy.

9. "Business Analyst"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I see the lab working hard to be a great place to work, which it is! Awesome science takes place here everyday...it's satisfying to know we are helping our nation not only in weapons but medical advances and so much more.

Cons

Old school system of ranking employees to determine raise. It essentially boils down to a popularity contest. If you have a boss that likes you, you can expect a great raise no matter your work output. The opposite is true as well.

Advice to Management

Find a new way to review employees that removes the boss' personal bias from the process. Continue working to find innovative ways to attract new talent as this is an aging workforce!

10. "Mechanical Engineer"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Livermore, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Livermore, CA (US)

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

LLNL feels like 10 companies on a single square mile. The opportunities are seemingly endless. I've always enjoyed and balance of Operations and Design. LLNL has provided numerous options to explore.

Cons

A significant portion of the employment population is nearing retirement. This creates and combination of opportunity and challenge.

Advice to Management

With the complexities of the technologies, hazards, and Clearance, stepping into a new role can be daunting. Perhaps mentoring individuals to targeted roles can help.