Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Employee Reviews about "cutting edge"

Updated 26 Oct 2020

4.6
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Director Bill Goldstein
Bill Goldstein
Pros
  • "My management is very supportive of work-life balance and the company benefits are great(in 218 reviews)

• "Cutting edge work with some of the best scientists in the field(in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • "red tape so it takes longer to get things done(in 53 reviews)

• "Expense of living in the Bay area(in 44 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "cutting edge"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Overall Amazing Experience"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Intern - Intern in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory for less than a year

Pros

Absolutely one of the best places to see the cutting edge of your field and the future of science

Cons

The Lab can have a high degree of bureaucracy

Continue reading
  2. "Very organized and welcoming"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time for less than a year

Pros

The opportunity to conduct and support innovative cutting edge scientific research and development that is not possible to do anywhere else

Cons

Government bureaucracy necessarily exists and can cause delays

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Livermore, CA

Pros

Great people, cutting edge science, very collaborative and substantially less ego compared to what you'd find in academia.

Cons

Buildings aren't optimized for aesthetic. Not a deal breaker but if you absolutely need that hyper modern office space, you won't find that here.

4. "Amazing and rewarding place to work"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Cutting-edge science and facilities. Teamwork with some of the best and brightest in the world. The chance to work hard at work worth doing.

Cons

Expense of living in the Bay area.

5. "Growth Opportunity along with Better Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Computer Associate in Livermore, CA

Pros

I've worked at the Lab for the past 18 years. I started as a technician and was afforded lots of opportunity for learning and improving technical skills and making rewarding relationships. I really like the flexible work schedule and appreciate the focus on employee health and safety. The types of projects are varied across the Lab. It's possible to join other groups or take on other roles in order to achieve personal goals. Honestly, I'm really happy working at the Lab and am grateful to my peers and management. Also, it's really cool to work in a place that does cutting edge research and other important work.

Cons

There are more rules or protocols to follow compared to other business environments. Depending on the type of project and funding, work may progress more slowly than in a commercial environment.

6. "Unparalleled Technology Playground Staffed by Great Colleagues"

Current Employee - Member of the Technical Staff in Livermore, CA

Pros

I have learned something new every single day in my decade-plus here. There are boundless opportunities to do cutting edge research with colleagues who are generous with their knowledge, and just as curious and passionate as you are, and hungry to push forward the scientific frontier. This is a world-class institution and my colleagues and I regularly rub shoulders (inside the Lab and outside) with the world's leading people in any number of fields. You can reinvent yourself every few years, diving into new projects, new technical areas, working with new teams of colleagues. You can grow your capabilities in many directions. How much can you handle? :)

Cons

This is a large and complicated institution, and understanding how and where you fit can take a long time. Getting to feel like you know the place and are a valuable part of it might take a few years. Being a government lab it is subject to strong, volatile and irrational political winds from the top, which can be disheartening. And of course, the bureaucracy takes getting used to. If you get hung up on trying to make sense of it, you'll only be frustrated. But no workplace is completely free of all of these elements, and these in combination are the price one pays for the extreme privilege of working on what we work, with whom we work (see Pros).

7. "A Unique Place for Work of National Importance"

Current Employee - Scientist

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

LLNL is unique within the network of national laboratories of the U.S. Government as it combines the opportunities to be involved in cutting-edge research and work on projects of national significance (which other laboratories provide too) to the vibrant and culturally-rich environment of the San Francisco Bay Area (which other laboratories do not provide to the same extent). Of the laboratories that I have worked at or collaborated with in the last decade, LLNL is by far the most intellectually stimulating. Proximity with Silicon Valley high-tech industry is key. Work-life balance is taken seriously, encouraged and integral part of the organization's values; not just something that management says because it sounds good.

Cons

Working at a facility affiliated with the federal government always comes with much bureaucracy and lots of training for everything. It can be oppressing at times with a sense of inertia, that things move slowly. There is plenty of good folks, though, who try to help; offering a coffee to the right person sometimes works wonders. :) The central cafeteria and food options in general are marginal, at best. Need more food trucks!

8. COVID-19

"Excellent People and Work Opportunities"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Livermore, CA

Pros

As a scientist you have the opportunity to develop skills and cutting edge knowledge without necessarily being confined to a single job function. As long as you're willing to evolve, there is no shortage of interesting and impactful things to work on. Additionally, management understands that people have a home life and the long hours, typically expected of university graduate/postdoc appointees, aren't required to be successful.

Cons

A little far from SF and Oakland with no quick public transportation options

Continue reading
  9. "It really is the BEST PLACE TO WORK!!"

Current Employee - Senior Business Operations Manager in Livermore, CA

Pros

- Being a part of an organization that supports our Nation. - Working with brilliant employees that execute the most incredible cutting edge work. - It doesn't matter what your role is, you are a part of the BIG picture in supporting the mission. - Exceptional work-life balance at an inclusive workplace.

Cons

The housing costs in the bay area are pretty outrageous.

10. "Exciting work with phenomenal people."

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Pros

Cutting edge work with some of the best scientists in the field.

Cons

Security can be annoying to deal with at times, but it's important.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 59 English Reviews