Leeds Building Society Reviews

Richard Fearon
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Leeds, England

I have been working at Leeds Building Society full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, culture, Flexible working and a new head office

Cons

Challenging and hard work but rewarding

2. "Great people - archaic systems"

4.0
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Leeds Building Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people at LBS are what drive the business forward.

Cons

The technology infrastructure needs serious investment.

3. "terrible manager"

1.0
    Current Employee - CSA - Customer Service Associate in London, England

I have been working at Leeds Building Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing, no progress, lazy manager

Cons

Everything, worst place to work

4. COVID-19

"Super Colleagues but slow to engage with changes"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Leeds, England

I have been working at Leeds Building Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

Leeds Building society is like a family away from your family. Everyone has time for you and they have a superb office atmosphere. They are very pro work life balance and place a huge ethos on this to their employees.

Cons

They do not have a solid form of agile development. Nor do they utilise their development staff correctly. We do not have a timeline of work that is required in 2021 and this is concerning. My team and I are unaware of the work we will be completing next week, never mind next month. We are some of the most highly compensated individuals working for the mutual yet the most under utilised, which truly represents a bad deal for our members. I feel terrible as most days I have very little work, and I am told to just continue with CPD. I do not like receiving a salary for doing very little work, but if you do? This is the place for you. During 2020, we had to adapt quickly and efficiently due to the COVID-19 crisis. However, efficient isn't in our culture. It took months to get an IM service in place, which lead to inefficient communication. Further some of the software we use is outdated and makes development inefficient. Junior colleagues are well compensated for their work however, salary compensation then levels off. There are no salary reviews and some people stay at a Junior Level, even though they should be mid. The progression to Senior Developer, would take decades. They only allow individuals to become a Senior Developer, when another one leaves the business, and this is cascaded down to the other levels.

5. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Leeds, England

I have been working at Leeds Building Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Happy environment, good strong values

Cons

Wage could be better, however it’s not too bad

6. "A Communal Culture"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Leeds Building Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Local organisations with big ideas.

Cons

Directive in their approach, quite old fashioned and slow moving, values not lived.

Continue reading
  7. "Nice working environment, too many goals"

4.0
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Bristol, England

I worked at Leeds Building Society part-time for less than a year

Pros

People are nice to work with.

Cons

Too much focus on selling products over the counter. Also have to work 6 day weeks.

"Poor pay for what is expected. You are just a cog in their machine."

2.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Leeds, England

I worked at Leeds Building Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are good and general support from direct management. The shifts were at an ideal pattern for me.

Cons

Poor pay with empty promises to increase and very little windows for progression. Senior members at the very top of the chain gave clear indications that they cared very little (if at all) to the grunts on the front line. In the end; it was all about profits and feeble attempts to recognise those who literally made themselves sick from what was expected. No recognition for a person's individuality and they forever made changes that often put some staff at a disadvantage, leading to their resignations.

"Laid back company to work for..."

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Leeds, England

I worked at Leeds Building Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really friendly colleagues within the office. Welcoming and had good team social events. Good benefits and support from my TL on skills progression.

Cons

No real drive or direction of the business. I didn't feel the business had any strategic direction given from the top level of management. It was almost "too laid back" - if that's even a thing!

"Company with a big heart"

Current Employee - Lead

I have been working at Leeds Building Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

It truly values its people, and it comes from the very top of the organization. It doesn’t just have values written on its website, it lives by them, makes decisions by them. It offers every one an opportunity to be brilliant at their job, have a go at a new opportunity. It is a big community with a big heart spread out across the UK. It is thoughtful in how it does business and it makes sound decisions about its future keeping its customers at its heart always, like I’ve rarely seen before.

Cons

Like any large organization it has many established processes that need changing, modernising, and some of the tech software is in need of updating.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 35 English Reviews