Lego Group Brick Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Lego Group CEO Jørgen Vig Knudstorp
Jørgen Vig Knudstorp

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • high stress and lack of work life balance even here (in 7 reviews)

• No full time work available as a merchandiser (in 11 reviews)

1. "Started off great, but getting more & more corporate."

Former Employee - Brick Specialist in Brighton, England
    Former Employee - Brick Specialist in Brighton, England

I worked at Lego Group part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, every customer is excited to be there so it's a pleasure to serve them. Great, friendly team that I miss. Pleasant shop to be in, clean & fun job. Always a pleasure selling Lego, you can get excited about the product!

Cons

The pay really isn't enough for what we were expected to do as laid out by our secret shopper visits. Every single customer had to be treated, not like humans, but by asking them as many 'by the book' questions as possible. We would have to stay late to fill the shelves - sometimes until 9.30pm. Management was steadily getting more & more corporate & less about the values of Lego, and the customers would be aware of this. Lots of elements were made in China at a cheaper cost, and a worse quality (like the keyrings) - rather than the motto 'only the best is good enough'. There was no way we would be allowed to personalise the shop at all to make it nicer for customers / i.e: having a 'staff builds' display, or Brighton-related displays. Began to feel like our shop had been left behind to make way for new shops to open.

Advice to Management

Go back to 'only the best being good enough', no more trying to cut costs by getting elements made cheaper elsewhere. The beauty of Lego when I started was that it came from the great factory in Billund.

2. "Retail woes, wonderful company"

Former Employee - Brick Specialist in Lynnwood, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Brick Specialist in Lynnwood, WA (US)

I worked at Lego Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, exceptional management, enthusiastic training and development, new LEGO sets rolling in all the time, happy kids and happy parents, creative opportunities, building display LEGO sets, massive discount on personal purchases.

Cons

LOUD, terrible technical support, the common woes of retail sales (occasional irate customers, shoplifting, poor wages), limited available hours, unpleasant lighting inducing headaches (typical mall problems), traffic.

Advice to Management

Paying careful attention to the uniquenesses of your staff, offering competitive incentives as well as team-win bonuses, pushing toward tangible goals (in sales as well as ratings, cleanliness, and mystery shopper scores), and a conversational approach to personnel development and training made my managers AWESOME.

3. "lego specialist"

Former Employee - Brick Specialist in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Brick Specialist in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Lego Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great working environment
    -offers employee discounts on items
    -friendly co-workers
    - busy environment
    -flexible hours

Cons

-standing at all times
    -staying late after closing for restocking

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Brick Specialist
    Current Employee - Brick Specialist

I have been working at Lego Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, understanding management, great team, positive work environment, sweet perks

Cons

Hours depend on sales/business needs, so sometimes work hours are sparse and inconsistent (10 hours one weeks, 25 another). Pay is decent and higher than other starting retail jobs with similar skill requirements.

"It's Alright, Could Be Better"

Current Employee - Brick Specialist in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Brick Specialist in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Lego Group part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexible Hours
    - Friendly Team to Work With
    - High Energy Environment

Cons

- Very Routine
    - Corporate will make dumb decisions that affect guest services negatively
    - Sometimes shoppers will just do really questionable things
    - Low Pay that can easily be beat by comparable companies especially when I've been working for LEGO here for 4 years, I've only seen a pay increase of 60 cents overall. So don't consider this a job you can want to keep over a long period of time, this is more so better for people working seasonal.
    -LEGO right now is doing some penny pinching practices they haven't done in the past, something that has left a sour taste in the staff's mouths. They continue to make mistakes in terms of product projections for launch dates in quantity of sets then complain why sales are low. Time and time again we have also seen cases of LEGO practicing Cost over Quality, and this is true for a large number of things when it comes to changing the finish on product decals, reducing the amount of adhesive on products to cut down, or even sending strongly worded emails when a store buys , what corporate perceives as unnecessary, such as sanitation wipes and daily consumables to keep the store at a healthy operating level. But this penny pinching is seen only at the retail level, when it comes to any other sector with in LEGO, all the bells and whistles are expensed without a second thought. LEGO also likes to limit employees so that they don't meet the state laws threshold in which they would have to start paying for an employees medical benefits, something I know people would greatly enjoy. This is unfortunate because I've seen people who really do enjoy working here and are excellent at their work get shortlisted for hours because of that one fact. Its not like LEGO is hurting for cash either in all this, they just posted their highest sales ever in a trend of 11 years of consistent growth.
    -LEGO also practices extreme nepotism where I've seen qualified people get passed up for positions so that family members at corporate can work together, and their justification is that "it promotes employee morale".
    - All in all this job is greatly if you aren't expecting anything from it, and you're some college kid working in between off periods from class. Anyone else, don't expect to go anywhere.

7. "A good starter job for retail"

Former Employee - Brick Specialist in McLean, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Brick Specialist in McLean, VA (US)

I worked at Lego Group part-time

Pros

Very fun place to have fun with kids and help out customers looking for products.

Cons

Always be alert to properly great customers, you never know if they're a mystery shopper.

Advice to Management

Try to have more associates to help with greeting, especially on very busy weekends.

"Lego Brand Retail"

Former Employee - Brick Specialist in Costa Mesa, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Brick Specialist in Costa Mesa, CA (US)

I worked at Lego Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, potentially fun work environment

Cons

Overly strict work environment, unreasonable expectations from corporate, low relative pay

Advice to Management

Don't make they mystery shopper requirements so strict and scripted because it makes the employees look unnatural and makes guests uncomfortable.

"Fantastic work environment ruined by unprofessional ASM and questionable employee policies"

Former Employee - Brick Specialist in Surrey, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Brick Specialist in Surrey, BC (Canada)

I worked at Lego Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with children, sell a well known product for a reputable, high profile brand! Great team mates, respectable Store Manager. As others mentioned - great discounts and employee "fringe" benefits (parties, etc).

Cons

Low pay. Inflexible hours that fluctuate from maybe 5 hrs /wk to 25 or more, no work life balance for a part time minimum retail job with ridiculous expectations. Always on call, hard to get time off, schedules may come out late. Adding to that, ASM was very unprofessional who mixed personal life with work and berated employees in front of guests for minuscule issues. Picks favourites, rude to other employees. Supervisors may be the same - young staff with little people training and spent more time chatting with one other than working. Topping it off, 5 to 10 minute breaks were frowned upon - even for a quick drink of water or to use the washroom - for a 4 to 5 shift!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Put in place ways for front life staff to report grievances, such as unprofessionalism by ASM /supervisors.

"Brick Specialist"

Current Employee - Brick Specialist in Bloomington, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Brick Specialist in Bloomington, MN (US)

I have been working at Lego Group (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours. Able to stay on even after getting office job, although that might be up to store manager/district manager discretion. Good 401k for the job.

Cons

Probably like any retail, the clean up isn't the most fun, but with the right group of people it can go by fast.

You gotta be able to plan your time off so you aren't in a panic when you are scheduled.

Advice to Management

Literally best managers I have ever worked under.

11. "The Best Retail Experience"

Current Employee - Brick Specialist in Northbrook, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Brick Specialist in Northbrook, IL (US)

I have been working at Lego Group part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Share your love of Lego with others who do to. Fun, creative work environment. Hours are very flexible, and can usually pick up more shifts as well.

Cons

Must have strong people skills. Also, a strong stomach in some cases. Location dependent, clientele is drastically different.

Advice to Management

The mystery shopper[s] every month do not provide a true view of the service a standard customer receives. They need to be changed somehow.